Limited AIO Space (Thick Rad or Normal Fans)

IdahoTornado

I'm looking to build an ITX computer but by existing Artic II 240 is 67mm thick and will not fit the 55mm space available. 

Either:

1) Keep AIO and buy slim noctua fans. (Thick rad, slim fans)

2) Buy replacement 55mm AIO, likely Lian Li 240. (Std rad, std fan)

I'm leaning towards buying a new AIO (~$100). I'm typically more time constrained than budget constrainted. Noctua fans x2 ($40-45), plus (~$30 air cooler) so i can sell old tower as functional.  

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ServerSherpa/saved/gGpqdC

Case Lian Li A4 H2O

Thanks, opinions welcome. 

Edited by IdahoTornado
More info

1 minute ago, IdahoTornado said:

I'm looking to build an ITX computer but by existing Artic II 240 is 67mm thick and will not fit the 55mm space available. 

Either:

1) Keep AIO and buy slim noctua fans. (Thick rad, slim fans)

2) Buy replacement 55mm AIO, likely Lian Li 240. (Std rad, std fan)

I'm leaning towards buying a new AIO (~$100). I'm typically more time constrained than budget constrainted. Noctua fans x2 ($40-45), plus (~$30 air cooler) so i can sell old tower as functional.  

Thanks, opinions welcome. 

If you're buying mITX parts already, I'd recommend having a set of slim 120mm fans available. So, logically, I'd suggest the slim Noctua fans first since I think you should have a pair on hand anyways and it would be far cheaper than a whole new AIO. As long as the slim fans get enough positive pressure, it should be fine, and I've run slim 120mm fans on AIOs in similar scenarios. It'll also take less time to swap fans than swap an AIO.

Otherwise, if you let us know what case you're working in, there's likely a perfectly sized air cooler available that'll min-max the internal volume.

As a veteran mITX user, some general rules to follow:

-Negative pressure is a must, even significantly negative pressure is better than neutral or positive in most cases I've tested.

-You might have to add fans where fans shouldn't be, that's where slim 92mm or 120mm fans come in handy. Less of a problem in 2023 with modern mITX compared to the OG stuff when SFX power supplies built for gaming PCs started hitting the market a decade ago.

-Air cooling is nice and all in mITX if implemented well, but you're likely getting insufficient airflow channels which'll result in hot spots. Transporting that heat away where it can be more efficiently dissipated helps all components out, though this is really only a problem at the high end.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

I use these slim fans on a thick 360 rad (Arctic Liquid Freezer), in a mITX case.

https://a.co/d/f7uqAW0

These silverstone fans have a higher static pressure than the slim noctuas so should be better on thick rads.

EDIT: Work really well on a slightly undervolted 14900k. Never get over about 92-93 max on hotest core under highest load.

3 hours ago, Agall said:

If you're buying mITX parts already, I'd recommend having a set of slim 120mm fans available. So, logically, I'd suggest the slim Noctua fans first since I think you should have a pair on hand anyways and it would be far cheaper than a whole new AIO. As long as the slim fans get enough positive pressure, it should be fine, and I've run slim 120mm fans on AIOs in similar scenarios. It'll also take less time to swap fans than swap an AIO.

Otherwise, if you let us know what case you're working in, there's likely a perfectly sized air cooler available that'll min-max the internal volume.

As a veteran mITX user, some general rules to follow:

-Negative pressure is a must, even significantly negative pressure is better than neutral or positive in most cases I've tested.

-You might have to add fans where fans shouldn't be, that's where slim 92mm or 120mm fans come in handy. Less of a problem in 2023 with modern mITX compared to the OG stuff when SFX power supplies built for gaming PCs started hitting the market a decade ago.

-Air cooling is nice and all in mITX if implemented well, but you're likely getting insufficient airflow channels which'll result in hot spots. Transporting that heat away where it can be more efficiently dissipated helps all components out, though this is really only a problem at the high end.

Thanks! I'm looking to pick up a Lian Li Dan Case A4 H2O. 

Personally, I'd get an appropriate AIO, but I think you should first try the most powerful slim fans you can find on your current one. If it doesn't master your processor then UV the processor. If that still isn't enough, proceed to get a new AIO.

Still not enough? Buy the most powerful fans that will fit and slap them on the AIO.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

12 hours ago, IdahoTornado said:

Thanks! I'm looking to pick up a Lian Li Dan Case A4 H2O. 

That case is pretty much designed for an AIO but doesn't require one. Two top mounted fans and a ducted air cooler from the side is an option, depending on the CPU you're going with. An AIO will likely perform better and the case is purpose built for water cooling, so it just makes more sense if this case is your choice.

I haven't used the case, so I refer to the person who I trust the most when it come to mITX builds when applicable:

I'd go based on this video's recommendations, unless you find something within the same dimensions. I personally don't like EKWB's Vardar fans, but that's a sample of 4 (I have an EKWB 280mm Elite AIO collecting dust right now because I preferred the NH-D15). 

In this case, those thinner fans likely wouldn't provide enough pressure through that thick radiator, so 100%, get an AIO that better fits in this case.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017