Quick question about bottleneck

Isildur

I know a lot of people roll their eyes when people ask about bottleneck.

I know it is dependent on what the software (games or not) and yadda yadda yadda.

I have no idea what bottleneck is in practice (only in theory) since i never felt it, and the reason is simple, vicissitudes of life made me stop gaming for 10 years, since 2011 give or take.

I was always a big gamer, but in 2011 bottleneck was not really a thing. Now that i'm back to gaming and i'm lost.

So, i need your help to make sense of this.

I have a i5-12400 with 16gb RAM (2x8), i was thinking of getting a RTX 4070, to game at 1440p.

I was looking at the pcbuilds bootleneck calculator (i know it's not 100% reliable) and i got that my cpu paired with a RTX 4070 gives a 15.8% bottleneck at 1440p, 23.5% at 1080p and 0% at 4k.

The logic is that i should go for 4k, but i feel that to go 4k i would be better with a RTX 4080 or above, and i don't want to spend that much more on a GPU (not forgetting the wattage and temps).

All in all the question is, how bad is 15,8% bottleneck? And, while we are it, 23,5%?

I know that less than 5% is irrelevant.

What can i expect from stuttering and fps drop?

12 minutes ago, Isildur said:

I know a lot of people roll their eyes when people ask about bottleneck.

I know it is dependent on what the software (games or not) and yadda yadda yadda.

I have no idea what bottleneck is in practice (only in theory) since i never felt it, and the reason is simple, vicissitudes of life made me stop gaming for 10 years, since 2011 give or take.

I was always a big gamer, but in 2011 bottleneck was not really a thing. Now that i'm back to gaming and i'm lost.

So, i need your help to make sense of this.

I have a i5-12400 with 16gb RAM (2x8), i was thinking of getting a RTX 4070, to game at 1440p.

I was looking at the pcbuilds bootleneck calculator (i know it's not 100% reliable) and i got that my cpu paired with a RTX 4070 gives a 15.8% bottleneck at 1440p, 23.5% at 1080p and 0% at 4k.

The logic is that i should go for 4k, but i feel that to go 4k i would be better with a RTX 4080 or above, and i don't want to spend that much more on a GPU (not forgetting the wattage and temps).

All in all the question is, how bad is 15,8% bottleneck? And, while we are it, 23,5%?

I know that less than 5% is irrelevant.

What can i expect from stuttering and fps drop?

There will always be a bottleneck somewhere, its cant be avoided.
I think a i5-12400 will pair quite nicely with a 4070, I wouldn't want to go much higher on the GPU without upgrading the CPU however.

For 1440p you will be more than fine 🙂  

''15% bottleneck'' is not much at all and its totally fine.

My RTX 4080 is bottlenecking my 7700x for example, I would get more framerate with a faster GPU.  Doesn't mean its a bad gaming experience, still pumping enough frames.

You want to find a nice balance and the 12400 and 4070 is a good match.

A severe bottleneck would be pairing an i3-6100 with a RTX 4090 or a 7800X3D with a 1050ti.