Peripheral Lockup & Black Boxes

TylerOfTrade
Go to solution Solved by TylerOfTrade,

Okay to anyone finding this posts for answers. The black boxes were indeed caused by chromes hardware acceleration as Bjoolz suggested, so turn that off in the settings > system. The freezes though not a clue, memory dumps were never created. I ended just doing one more clean install with ddu on my gpu and a full windows install, so far no freezes. 

Original Issue: The computer would randomly blackscreen shutdown, no BSOD or memory dmps. CPU debug light would be on. RMA'd PSU, upgraded gpu & motherboard. Issue persisted. RMA'd cpu, issue persisted. Tested ram & os drive on new ones issue persisted. Couldn't catch hex debug during the shutdowns. Set HWinfo to record all sensors up to the shutdown to check for overheat, never breached 80. However, when lining up the shutdown times with event viewer & hwinfo I found a dmp file. Lead me to potentially corrupted video drivers. Did a clean install with ddu & nvidia's clean install tool. Installed new drivers, no shutdowns since then. And also did a windows recovery reset. May do a reinstall & add proxmox, if I get bored enough.

The original issue from my guess was a gpu or cpu issue, but was also a corrupted gpu drivers that mimicked the original issue. I'm adding this incase its helpful, as I'm getting desperate it's been almost half a year diagnosing this PC. 

Current Issue: Not nearly as frequent as the shutdowns, but sometimes I get black boxes on screen similar to gpu artifacting pictures of shadowplay capture attached. The black boxes have been happening ever since the gpu replace, just wasn't as annoying or frequent as the shutdowns. In addition, very recently my keyboard & mouse just stopped working, requiring me to force shutdown the pc. On reboot they worked. That complete lockup has happened only once. It may have happened before in a softer way though. It wasn't a complete lockup, but my mouse would be delayed and freeze. Don't know if my keyboard was doing the same as I was focused on the mouse. I attributed this to driver verifier being left on by me. The softer freezes haven't happened after turning that off. But the full lockup happened after. Keyboard is wired, mouse is wireless and batteries replaced.

Specs:

• AsRock Z490 PG Velocita (BIOS Version P1.70)
  • Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit)
  • Intel Core i5-11600k (No overclocks)
  • Noctua NH-D9L
  • Corsair RM750e (750 Watts)
  • Was Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200Mhz (XMP Enabled) Upgraded recently too Crucial Pro RAM 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4 3200
  • EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 XC 12GB
  • Crucial P5 Plus 1TB Nvme m.2 (OS Drive & All application installs)
  • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
  • Rosewill RSV-L4500
  • 3 Misc. HDD
  • 5 Artic Fans
  • Keychron v5 
  • Logitech G604

I understand it said not to rant, but understand everything has effectively been replaced or tested with something new and problems still persist. My previous os drive is labeled Theseus because of this now. 

Update: Ive upgraded my ram. And will see what continues. I also attached another screenshot of an issue I noticed that just seemed off & weird not sure if its normal, but my eye just feel off by it. It's a screenshot of me resizing a chat window with support and the window seems to lag behind. This happens with all applications except for window ones. It didn't notice this effect on file explorer or device manager. Everything is installed on the main drive. 

Desktop 2023.11.29 - 21.15.44.04.DVR - Trim - frame at 0m1s.jpg

Desktop 2023.11.29 - 21.26.19.05.DVR - Trim - frame at 0m8s.jpg

Dslight.jpg

FirstObv.jpg

2023-11-27 08-03-10 - frame at 0m13s.jpg

Edited by TylerOfTrade

1 hour ago, TylerOfTrade said:

However, when lining up the shutdown times with event viewer & hwinfo I found a dmp file.

Do you still have this dump file for us to check? If you have more dump files, I want all of them. 

The black boxes annoy me. If it was GPU it should overwrite everything and not care about context, but the first screenshot shows that it changes color based on context. If it was RAM it shouldn't cross over into the video, it should always be like the last screenshot of the YT shorts video (If hardware acceleration is enabled in the browser).

And right after typing that I did some googling and found a thread on Guru3D about a bug in Chromium browsers that cause this (Root cause might be Windows). There are listed fixes (From september so not even that old), but recent comments suggest that they are no longer working.

Link to the thread here. Some of the screenshots don't really look like what you have, but this one looks just like it. [IMG]

You could test Firefox for a while to confirm. 

Freezes are a pain in the ass to track down as it can be anything, but at least (hopefully) the checkerboard issue is figured out. And please give me those dump files if you have them. 

If my computer shutsdown again I'll upload the dmp file. But I've reformatted my computer several times and don't think I saved the previous ones. I'll check my nextcloud server and my emails with support if I've sent or put it there. 

Amazon delivered early so I have new ram in now. I kinda want to say that the mouse & keyboard froze again with the new ram in it, however I'm not sure if I dreamed that or not because it's fairly hazy in my memory. If it does I will confirm it though. 

I also attached some more screenshots of another issue I noticed that may be related that I forgot to mention. 

Anything I should try if the mouse & keyboard freeze again? I just go straight to hold the power button, because nothing else works. 

On 11/30/2023 at 2:23 PM, Bjoolz said:

Freezes are a pain in the ass to track down as it can be anything, but at least (hopefully) the checkerboard issue is figured out. And please give me those dump files if you have them. 

Okay, it seems to not be the mouse & keyboard freezing. Its just a full system freeze. The audio crashed along with it. I let it sit in hopes it would bsod, but it didn't so I manually killed & restarted it. I think i've found a way so that the next time this happens it should create a small dump file next time.

• 1 month later...

Okay to anyone finding this posts for answers. The black boxes were indeed caused by chromes hardware acceleration as Bjoolz suggested, so turn that off in the settings > system. The freezes though not a clue, memory dumps were never created. I ended just doing one more clean install with ddu on my gpu and a full windows install, so far no freezes.