UbuntuDDE 23.04 General Question

I like to dabble through different Linux distro's from time to time and see what's changed and if I've finally hit a point where I'll enjoy using it more than Windows. Tonight I installed UbuntuDDE Remix 23.04 after using Ubuntu 23.10 for a bit. I've always liked the Deepin Desktop Environment but not enough to use Deepin OS itself (due to privacy concerns). I've never been that great at switching/installing different environments over the one the distro comes with either, whether it's the default gnome, KDE, MATE, Budgie, etc. But after some browsing involving UbuntuDDE topics, I'm beginning to wonder if it would have been better to just install Kubuntu 23.10 and then DDE on top of it? I'm know there's no definitive answer here, but it seems to take the UbuntuDDE folks a while to release a new build and I'm afraid Ubuntu will have moved on to 24.x or something before they bother with a 23.10 build of UbuntuDDE. I did look at their build of 22.04 (based on the LTS build of Ubuntu) but it's not as flashy and seemed to present users with a lot of issues in comparison to the newer one. What would you do?

Untitled.png

Screenshot_20231130032143.png

Deepin is brilliant. I wish it worked properly on Arch, which I'm using.  I would say definitely try Kubuntu 23.10 and install Deepin on top of it, as you will have more recent packages and longer support.

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

CPU: 7945HX

GPU: 4090M

7 hours ago, Sparkletart said:

it seems to take the UbuntuDDE folks a while to release a new build and I'm afraid Ubuntu will have moved on to 24.x or something before they bother with a 23.10 build of UbuntuDDE.

Well, if you really want it as soon as possible you might as well go with mainline ubuntu and install the DE on top. I don't think it's that important to always have the absolute latest release, especially with a fixed release distribution. If it matters to you it may be better to go with a rolling release distribution instead.

Personally if I were to install Ubuntu (or one of its "flavors") I'd use the LTS version.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

13 hours ago, Sparkletart said:

I'm know there's no definitive answer here, but it seems to take the UbuntuDDE folks a while to release a new build and I'm afraid Ubuntu will have moved on to 24.x or something before they bother with a 23.10 build of UbuntuDDE.

That's the cost of a community based spin.