Corsair HX750 Platinum Connector Issue

Ahmed007

Hi.

I am new to this forum and also a novice trying to build a custom PC for myself. The last PC I bought was in 2015 or 16, and not very knowledgeable how things have changed. All my PC parts are from marketplace, and now I am trying to connect them to test if it works.

So, I got :

Mobo- Gigabyte Z790 UD AX DDR5

GPU- Asus KO 3070
PSU- HX750 80+ Platinum

I didn't give much thought when I was buying except the fact that I wanted a ddr5 mobo, good graphics and enough wattage for suppporting all they need. But when I tried to connect them today, I found my PSU cables are not enough for connection. My mobo have 8+8 pin for CPU power I guess, and GPU also have 8+8 pin. But my PSU has one 4+4 pin cable, two 8 pin cable and one 6 pin cable. Though the PSU has four 6+2 port, which I hope can actually support the mobo and gpu if I have the proper cable. Also I found out the cables are different for mobo and gpu, which I had no idea at all. 8 pin is 8 pin, what goes into mobo, should go into gpu. But no, they don't fit.

So, my question:

1. Is the PSU actually ok for this build or should I get another one with proper cables.

2. If the PSU is good to go, how can I solve the cable issue with minimum cost.

Thanks in advance for answering my silly questions.

8 minutes ago, Ahmed007 said:

Hi.

I am new to this forum and also a novice trying to build a custom PC for myself. The last PC I bought was in 2015 or 16, and not very knowledgeable how things have changed. All my PC parts are from marketplace, and now I am trying to connect them to test if it works.

So, I got :

Mobo- Gigabyte Z790 UD AX DDR5

GPU- Asus KO 3070
PSU- HX750 80+ Platinum

I didn't give much thought when I was buying except the fact that I wanted a ddr5 mobo, good graphics and enough wattage for suppporting all they need. But when I tried to connect them today, I found my PSU cables are not enough for connection. My mobo have 8+8 pin for CPU power I guess, and GPU also have 8+8 pin. But my PSU has one 4+4 pin cable, two 8 pin cable and one 6 pin cable. Though the PSU has four 6+2 port, which I hope can actually support the mobo and gpu if I have the proper cable. Also I found out the cables are different for mobo and gpu, which I had no idea at all. 8 pin is 8 pin, what goes into mobo, should go into gpu. But no, they don't fit.

So, my question:

1. Is the PSU actually ok for this build or should I get another one with proper cables.

2. If the PSU is good to go, how can I solve the cable issue with minimum cost.

Thanks in advance for answering my silly questions.

Welcome to the Forum!

You only need to use one of the CPU 8pin cables for your motherboard, it will supply enough power for the CPU. The extra 8pin is there only for extreme overclocking, gimmick, looking cool and to add another feature to the motherboard.

Your PSU is more than enough and should have the correct cables, you just gotta figure out what goes where 🙂

You shouldn't need to buy any extra cables as long as you have all the cables that came with the PSU.

Many new builders mix up the CPU power cables with the GPU power cables, this is one of the most common questions we get here regarding cables.

If you want, I could quickly help you over Discord with figuring this out very quick. If this is something you would like, let me know.

Hi 

Thanks for the quick reply. The issue is two of the 8 pin cables are for mobo, doesn't go in the gpu. And the cables are actually not original, but "EZDIY-FAB PSU Cable Extension kit Sleeved Cable Custom Power Supply Sleeved Extension 16 AWG 24-PIN 8-PIN 6-PIN 4+4-PIN with Combs- Black/Red". I asked the person I bought the PSU from for the origianl cables, but he forgot where he put them. So now I have one 8 pin and one 6 pin reamining for the GPU. 

On 11/21/2023 at 8:35 PM, Ahmed007 said:

Hi 

Thanks for the quick reply. The issue is two of the 8 pin cables are for mobo, doesn't go in the gpu. And the cables are actually not original, but "EZDIY-FAB PSU Cable Extension kit Sleeved Cable Custom Power Supply Sleeved Extension 16 AWG 24-PIN 8-PIN 6-PIN 4+4-PIN with Combs- Black/Red". I asked the person I bought the PSU from for the origianl cables, but he forgot where he put them. So now I have one 8 pin and one 6 pin reamining for the GPU. 

How much did you pay him for this? 

I have the same PSU and it came with 2 daisy chained 6+2's for the PSU and 2 x 4+4 for the motherboard.

The cables themselves come with built on capacitors like other high end corsair units to reduce ripple.

I doubt that aftermarket kit even bothers.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset