GPU usage dipping when playing games

Spungus

Hi everyone,

I seem to be having issues with framerate dipping when playing games, even those that aren't the most GPU or CPU intensive. When opening task manager and observing the performance of my computer, I've seen that usage for my GPU dips from 70% to 20% and sometimes even as low as 4%. When this happens the framerate dips immensely and while this happens occasionally, it's still pretty annoying. I was wondering if anyone had some advice as to how to solve this?

GPU: AMD Radeon 6750XT
CPU: Intel i5 10600k
Memory: DDR4 16 GB 3200mhz

Memory usage remains constant at 50% when gaming and CPU utilization ranges from 15-17%. Temperatures are also normal with the GPU barely getting to 70 degrees Celsius

4 hours ago, Spungus said:

opening task manager

Not the way to check GPU usage, use MSI Afterburner's OSD to check hardware usage while gaming.

Why?

1. Task manager is not accurate

2. When you alt-tab to other window or opening other window on top of your game, some games would slow down the game therefore lowering hardware usage

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

Yeah, that would be better, however I’m still concerned about this since the stuttering occurs in games that one wouldn’t consider graphically intensive. I’m also fairly new to AMD GPUs and have no idea what settings to use in the Adrenaline software to optimize my experience. I’ve deleted and reinstalled graphics drivers and selected the over clock option within the AMD software to see if that helps and while it does marginally, some stuttering still occurs. It could be due to the optimization of the games so I’ll try it out on a game that is more graphically intensive and optimized.

Check your gpu junction/hotspot temp. 

Also check your cpu temp. Try run cpu stress test and check if it throttle. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

• 7 months later...
On 9/5/2023 at 3:28 AM, Spungus said:

Yeah, that would be better, however I’m still concerned about this since the stuttering occurs in games that one wouldn’t consider graphically intensive. I’m also fairly new to AMD GPUs and have no idea what settings to use in the Adrenaline software to optimize my experience. I’ve deleted and reinstalled graphics drivers and selected the over clock option within the AMD software to see if that helps and while it does marginally, some stuttering still occurs. It could be due to the optimization of the games so I’ll try it out on a game that is more graphically intensive and optimized.

I'm having the same issue, found any fix?