Mate extentions?

How do I see if any are running, I am sure I am not, but my sceen rabdomly goes off & a few months ago on the Ditro forum I was told to not be running any.

GIGABYTE B550I AORUS PRO AX (AM4 AMD/B550/Mini-Itx/Dual M.2/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 1/WiFi 6/2.5 GbE LAN/PCIe4.0/Realtek ALC1220-Vb/DisplayPort 1.4/2xHDMI 2.0B/RGB Fusion 2.0/DDR4/Gaming Motherboard) ,AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked 4.7 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think the mare desktop has any extensions.  It is quite basic.  Cinnamon desktop has has extra addons for the desktop called desklets, but it is also still quite basic.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

14 hours ago, E-waste said:

I don't think the mare desktop has any extensions.  It is quite basic.  Cinnamon desktop has has extra addons for the desktop called desklets, but it is also still quite basic.

That is what I thought, but some one on the Manjaro forum said something about it when I told them my screen randomly goes black, it is odd it is like I have a screensaver enabled or a setting in power settings. I don't though.

GIGABYTE B550I AORUS PRO AX (AM4 AMD/B550/Mini-Itx/Dual M.2/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 1/WiFi 6/2.5 GbE LAN/PCIe4.0/Realtek ALC1220-Vb/DisplayPort 1.4/2xHDMI 2.0B/RGB Fusion 2.0/DDR4/Gaming Motherboard) ,AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked 4.7 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

6 hours ago, Edward78 said:

my screen randomly goes black

Are you sure it is random?

Find power management in the menu and look for display sleep time.  Screensaver may also be available so search for that if it is already installed.

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

16 hours ago, E-waste said:

Are you sure it is random?

Find power management in the menu and look for display sleep time.  Screensaver may also be available so search for that if it is already installed.

image.thumb.png.6a2d7e203631aab308696356f6bfcff8.pngimage.thumb.png.225a610aa9c6111d211693fc7b4a9015.png

is it randomly sleeping the display signal, and turning on again, if you do not move the mouse?  I have that with KDE when I have high memory and swap use, but it is a KDE issue, quite heavy, looks like you are using XFCE, based on the title bar icons.

Run the command

sudo echo > /proc/sys/vm/swappines

if that isn't it

cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

sometimes it can be read as vm.swappiness but the point is, are you low on system memory?

free -m

This will show you systemmemory and swap partition or swap file use.  Usimg a light desktop like xfce, I wouldn't think this is an issue.  Does it happen at startup, or after large programs are opened?

Software suggestions

15 hours ago, E-waste said:

is it randomly sleeping the display signal, and turning on again, if you do not move the mouse?  I have that with KDE when I have high memory and swap use, but it is a KDE issue, quite heavy, looks like you are using XFCE, based on the title bar icons.

Run the command

sudo echo > /proc/sys/vm/swappines

if that isn't it

cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

sometimes it can be read as vm.swappiness but the point is, are you low on system memory?

free -m

This will show you systemmemory and swap partition or swap file use.  Usimg a light desktop like xfce, I wouldn't think this is an issue.  Does it happen at startup, or after large programs are opened?

My screen just randomly goes blank ay trandom times, , when I press a button it comes back. I have 16 Gigs of ram, soI don't think memerory is it. I just browse mostly, nothing like editing.

frree -m I got free: Multiple unit options don't make sense.

Other two cat: /proc/sys/vm/swappines: No such file or directory
/proc/sys/vm/swappines: No such file or directory

My swap is 8.8 G.

4 hours ago, Edward78 said:

My screen just randomly goes blank ay trandom times

O.K. copy and paste this command, I'm not sure how you are entering them, but the free -m should definitely work, so I cannot understand how you are getting an error.

lspci -nnk | grep video

this should list your graphics device, and the software driver it is using.

remove | grep video if it doesn't show anything, and look for your video device in the list.  What driver is in use?

amdgpu, amdgpu pro, nouveau, nvidia, or intel?

Software suggestions

NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  535.104.05  Sat Aug 19 01:15:15 UTC 2023
GCC version:  gcc version 13.2.1 20230801 (GCC)