LG 14T90N-R - Looking for affordable external GPU options

BlakePCnMAC
Go to solution Solved by Dukesilver27-,

Before we talk about e-GPU, ultra slim laptops are not going to last if you game on it, trust me I've had multiple friends that did the same thing and broke their laptop within 2 years.

Why? Because theyre not build for heavy use, there's no room for the heat to escape fast enough, my gaming laptop's CPU has the same TDP as your laptop's CPU, and mine gets up to 80C while gaming. Imagine a thin chassis with super thin cooler compared to a beefy gaming laptop.

Anyway, I'd suggest you look into cloud gaming, if you live in a first world country internet should be okay enough, could be cheaper in the long run.

Hello, I am trying to determine if my laptop will support an external GPU using its thunderbolt 3 connection?  Is it possible to confirm if that would work based on the pictures and link to the product below?

https://www.lg.com/us/laptops/lg-14t90n-r.aas9u1-ultra-slim-laptop

Additionally, if it should work based on the specs, any suggestions on mid-range eGPU options/setups?  Trying to get this thing to play BEAM.NG and Teardown (my son loves these games).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Blake

Screenshot 2023-08-13 163159.png

Screenshot 2023-08-13 163334.png

Before we talk about e-GPU, ultra slim laptops are not going to last if you game on it, trust me I've had multiple friends that did the same thing and broke their laptop within 2 years.

Why? Because theyre not build for heavy use, there's no room for the heat to escape fast enough, my gaming laptop's CPU has the same TDP as your laptop's CPU, and mine gets up to 80C while gaming. Imagine a thin chassis with super thin cooler compared to a beefy gaming laptop.

Anyway, I'd suggest you look into cloud gaming, if you live in a first world country internet should be okay enough, could be cheaper in the long run.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

1 hour ago, Dukesilver27- said:

I mean in the very long run bare metal with a PC would be better. Although really Teardown scales infinitely, you can get pegged to 30FPS on top end hardware in a lot of community scenario.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

9 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

I mean in the very long run bare metal with a PC would be better. Although really Teardown scales infinitely, you can get pegged to 30FPS on top end hardware in a lot of community scenario.

For an adult, sure, but for a family with kids, I don't think so.

They wanted to let their kids play games with their laptop, when the kids are old enough, they will have their own laptop/PC to play with or stop playing games altogether, so in the long run it would still be the better deal. Not to mention the cost of purchasing a new laptop when the current one breaks down.

Growing up means trying multiple interests and finding your true hobby, so some current hobbies would be abandoned in favor of the true hobby, gaming is not an exclusion to that.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

Just now, Dukesilver27- said:

For an adult, sure, but for a family with kids, I don't think so.

They wanted to let their kids play games with their laptop, when the kids are old enough, they will have their own laptop/PC to play with or stop playing games altogether, so in the long run it would still be the better deal. Not to mention the cost of purchasing a new laptop when the current one breaks down.

Growing up means trying multiple interests and finding your true hobby, so some current hobbies would be abandoned in favor of the true hobby, gaming is not an exclusion to that.

Mhm, fair enough if we think on child's attention span. I mean i was deep into swimming back then but the severe gender dysmorphia im having from it now pretty much made me switch into sim racing and sprints for physical sports.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

13 hours ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Thank you for the information and advice.  I had not considered how playing games like that on the laptop would impact it long term.  It's not my main laptop but still not one I want to spend additional money on it just to destroy.

I have been looking more at just getting a mid-range mini PC designed for gaming instead since as previously stated, who knows how long my son will be interested in these games.  I was planning on getting a monitor or using it on my TV anyway, so that may be a better investment.

Again, thank you for the advice. :)