Gigabyte 2060 super windforce OC heating issues

Hello there. I have 2060 gigabyte super and currently experiencing thermal throlling. I saw a couple of gpu mods on youtube modding their heatsinks by coppermods, using an old and defective gpu and stick it on their gpus. I am inspired by this and I wanted to mod my gpu as well. What gpu do you think is almost compatible with my card? I am desperate to cool this gpu and tried to use expensive thermal pads and undelvolted it already but no improvments.

Any help is really appreciated! 

3 minutes ago, Ryujinx24 said:

Hello there. I have 2060 gigabyte super and currently experiencing thermal throlling. I saw a couple of gpu mods on youtube modding their heatsinks by coppermods, using an old and defective gpu and stick it on their gpus. I am inspired by this and I wanted to mod my gpu as well. What gpu do you think is almost compatible with my card? I am desperate to cool this gpu and tried to use expensive thermal pads and undelvolted it already but no improvments.

Any help is really appreciated! 

Your 2060 Super is hitting 95c?

2 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Your 2060 Super is hitting 95c?

Hello. Thanks for replying. No. My card never hit 95c but once it hits 83+, it was throttling. From a boost of 1985 down to 14ish once it settled to 87 to 88 c. Luckily, it doesn't go beyong the operating temperature of 95 but i wanted to prolong my gpu life and bougth this 2nd hand 3 months ago but in pristine condition. 

Just now, Ryujinx24 said:

Hello. Thanks for replying. No. My card never hit 95c but once it hits 83+, it was throttling. From a boost of 1985 down to 14ish once it settled to 87 to 88 c. Luckily, it doesn't go beyong the operating temperature of 95 but i wanted to prolong my gpu life and bougth this 2nd hand 3 months ago but in pristine condition. 

to 1400 mhz or 1914mhz?  
A repaste might be a good idea and clean it out with compressed air. Case airflow has a major impact on the GPU temperatures, you got a good case with case fans?
How are the temperatures if you remove the side panel on the case?

1 minute ago, Ryujinx24 said:

Used cards may have dried out VRM thermal pads, which can cause premature throttling.  Default fan curves also often are too low so best to use MSI Afterburner and set a custom one that ramps the fans higher under load.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

to 1400 mhz or 1914mhz?  
A repaste might be a good idea and clean it out with compressed air. Case airflow has a major impact on the GPU temperatures, you got a good case with case fans?
How are the temperatures if you remove the side panel on the case?

From 1900mhz down to 1400mhz once it hits 87-88 c and it never goes beyond that.

I tried gelid thermal pads, and maxtor with the correct sizes, i am using mx-4 for paste but planning to use mx-6 in the future. I never think of using liquid metal but if it doesn't work, maybe liquid metal is the answer with coppermodding.

About the case, i have 5 intakes. 3 from the front and two on the top of the case.

Yeah i also tried to remove both side panels but with 1 reduction in temps 😅.

12 minutes ago, Ryujinx24 said:

If its simply hitting the 84C throttle point, then its either because its getting warmer outside and/or there's enough wear in the thermal paste and/or thermal pads.

Some maintenance potentially involving new thermal paste and thermal pads might be warranted, however, that can get complicated since ensuring you're getting the exact same thickness pads is very important. 

Otherwise you can try raising the thermal limit and see if letting it heat up another ~5C or so removes the throttling characteristics. Assuming an ambient of 30C, that extra ~11% in heat transfer might be enough to prevent throttling.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

8 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Used cards may have dried out VRM thermal pads, which can cause premature throttling.  Default fan curves also often are too low so best to use MSI Afterburner and set a custom one that ramps the fans higher under load.

I set to max already running at 100 all the time. It gives me some sort og anxiety so the best i could think of is run it at max.

I also lowered the power limit from 100 to the lowest which is 68 as far as i can tell but i was suprised to see it goes over 80 c. Undervolted it already and set it to 950. 950mv is the lowest i can get cuz re4 remake crashes right off the bat once it is launched 😅 so leaving the curve as default is the only way to use and play re4 without crashing and valorant.

What themal do you recommend anyways? I used gelid extreme currently but if you have other options, please suggest. It maybe unavailable in my country but i'll see if i can get some 😁.

4 minutes ago, Agall said:

If its simply hitting the 84C throttle point, then its either because its getting warmer outside and/or there's enough wear in the thermal paste and/or thermal pads.

Some maintenance potentially involving new thermal paste and thermal pads might be warranted, however, that can get complicated since ensuring you're getting the exact same thickness pads is very important. 

Otherwise you can try raising the thermal limit and see if letting it heat up another ~5C or so removes the throttling characteristics. Assuming an ambient of 30C, that extra ~11% in heat transfer might be enough to prevent throttling..

Hello. Thanks for the comment. It is rainy season in philippines and we have a tropical storm so I make the most out of it. I have a room temperature of 25 c right now and i think that is impossible but let me consider that.

Regarding the thermal pads, i used gelid extreme for thermal pads and mx-4 and evenly spread it on the die. It doesn't go simply 80+ after minutes of playing but i would day 10 mins and it would settle to 87-88 c .

About the power limit, yeah i also played around it already. I set it to the lowest which is 68 but it goes 80+ which is funny 🤣🤣

9 minutes ago, Ryujinx24 said:

I set to max already running at 100 all the time. It gives me some sort og anxiety so the best i could think of is run it at max.

I also lowered the power limit from 100 to the lowest which is 68 as far as i can tell but i was suprised to see it goes over 80 c. Undervolted it already and set it to 950. 950mv is the lowest i can get cuz re4 remake crashes right off the bat once it is launched 😅 so leaving the curve as default is the only way to use and play re4 without crashing and valorant.

What themal do you recommend anyways? I used gelid extreme currently but if you have other options, please suggest. It maybe unavailable in my country but i'll see if i can get some 😁.

There's not really enough difference between pastes to care, its more about a good paste not needing replacing very often.

Its the pads that are tricky.

I'd check hwinfo64, it will tell you the hot spot temperature which is a good guide to if the pads have gone bad, though it seems likely given what you've said about lowering the power limit not helping.  My 2080 pads are shot but lowering the power limit and increasing the fan speed makes a huge difference.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

22 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The funny thing about this is i already replaced the pads and paste of it after i got it from the seller and I maxed out the fans when the day i noticed my gpu is throttling. It makes my gpu whine but it never drops the temps  😅

5 minutes ago, Ryujinx24 said:

The funny thing about this is i already replaced the pads and paste of it after i got it from the seller and I maxed out the fans when the day i noticed my gpu is throttling. It makes my gpu whine but it never drops the temps  😅

Could the pads be too thick or thin?  Or the heatsink is not secure?

If they are too thick they could be preventing the cooler from making good contact with the GPU die, as lowering the power limit should cause a dramatic reduction in temperature.

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

There's not really enough difference between pastes to care, its more about a good paste not needing replacing very often.

I'd check hwinfo64, it will tell you the hot spot temperature which is a good guide to if the pads have gone bad, though it seems likely given what you've said about lowering the power limit not helping.  My 2080 pads are shot but lowering the power limit and increasing the fan speed makes a huge difference.

What the tricky part about the pads? Is it about the sizes? Is 1 mm and 1.5 mm not good enough to use? About the paste, even spreading it all over the die and ensure it doesn't have hotspot doesn't do the trick? 

I hope i could turn back time and not to buy this card instead 😅. I never thought that this particular card has heating issues and saw a couple of reddit post of user that have problems as i have. I was considering 2080 super tri fan that day but i was limited by my budget. 

16 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Could the pads be too thick or thin?  Or the heatsink is not secure?

If they are too thick they could be preventing the cooler from making good contact with the GPU die, as lowering the power limit should cause a dramatic reduction in temperature.

I use 1mm to 1.5mm thickness and i always ensure to screw it down in place but not over screwed. 

That what i thought as well . By lowering the temp limit, i wws hoping to get temps down to my desirable limit but it does the opposite 🤣.

If i got no other options left, maybe i would do thr coppermod and liquid metal. 

11 minutes ago, Ryujinx24 said:

I use 1mm to 1.5mm thickness and i always ensure to screw it down in place but not over screwed. 

That what i thought as well . By lowering the temp limit, i wws hoping to get temps down to my desirable limit but it does the opposite 🤣.

If i got no other options left, maybe i would do thr coppermod and liquid metal. 

Its why I never fixed my 2080, if you get the thickness wrong then it wont make contact with the GPU die.  A .5mm gap relying on paste to transfer the heat is obviously going be an issue.  Or maybe you really were playing it too safe with not overtightening it and didn't tighten it enough?

46 minutes ago, Ryujinx24 said:

If i got no other options left, maybe i would do thr coppermod and liquid metal if i got no options left. 

It's a 2060 man I can't understand how it can be that hot unless it's fully choked, bad thermal contact on the block, or fan too low

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yes, reducing the heat into the card and increasing the heat transfer out will reduce the energy into the system while increasing energy out. That'll locally reduce the difference in temperature proportionally and therefore the temperature of the heat source.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

2 hours ago, PDifolco said:

It's a 2060 man I can't understand how it can be that hot unless it's fully choked, bad thermal contact on the block, or fan too low

So can i. I can't really tell what is going on. As far as i know, i used 1.5mm for vram chips and 1.mm for the others

So can i. I can't really tell what is going on. As far as i know, i used 1.5mm for vram chips and 1.mm for the others

But did your repaste/repad worsen the thermals ? Else it can be due to something else

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

But did your repaste/repad worsen the thermals ? Else it can be due to something else

Yeah i do. Cleaned the old pads with alcohol and put them over tbe top of chips and used mx-4 as paste.  I spread thwm evenly on the die to prevent hotspots but no signifixant improvements.

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

Yeah i do. Cleaned the old pads with alcohol and put them over tbe top of chips and used mx-4 as paste.  I spread thwm evenly on the die to prevent hotspots but no signifixant improvements.

I understand thermals were bad and your repaste didn't help ? Pads don't do that much, maybe contact isn't good on the block itself

Then what are the case airflow, ambient temps and fan speed ?

Just now, PDifolco said:

I understand thermals were bad and your repaste didn't help ? Pads don't do that much, maybe contact isn't good on the block itself

Then what are the case airflow, ambient temps and fan speed ?

I am using this case that i bought 2 months ago:

https://shp.ee/4r7etd3

And it is great. I put 5 intakes and 1 exhaust. In terms of ambient tempts, right now theris a storm in the Philippines so i make the most out of the weather. Room temps is just 23c cause it had been raining for 2 weeks now. Just in case you arr wondering what manufaturer and gpu i'm talking about, it is 2060 super from gigabyte windforce oc rev 1. It has the worst cooling out there. The heatpipe is just too thin and only compose of 2 sitting right next to each other so I think this is the reason of heating as reddit users and blogs i've read.

1 hour ago, Ryujinx24 said:

I am using this case that i bought 2 months ago:

https://shp.ee/4r7etd3

And it is great. I put 5 intakes and 1 exhaust. In terms of ambient tempts, right now theris a storm in the Philippines so i make the most out of the weather. Room temps is just 23c cause it had been raining for 2 weeks now. Just in case you arr wondering what manufaturer and gpu i'm talking about, it is 2060 super from gigabyte windforce oc rev 1. It has the worst cooling out there. The heatpipe is just too thin and only compose of 2 sitting right next to each other so I think this is the reason of heating as reddit users and blogs i've read.

Link dead, post a pic pls

But ok your card may have bad cooling, then try to undervolt it

17 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Link dead, post a pic pls

But ok your card may have bad cooling, then try to undervolt it

Hi. Sorry for late response. Here is thr actual chassis i am using. I installed 3 intakes and 2 on the top . 

Screenshot_2023-08-03-22-43-43-710_com.shopee.ph.jpg