can you connect a optus modem with a tp link wireless n router?

SirajSyed1606
Go to solution Solved by NeverNotExhausted,
5 minutes ago, SirajSyed1606 said:

so its not going to impact network speeds if i take the lan from my modem and convert it into a wireless wifi

Shouldn't have a major (if any) impact. Your wireless is going to be more impacted by your actual ISP's speeds given Australian internet is junk.

I have 2 questions

1. I have an Optus modem can I connect a tp-link Wireless N router (as a range extender) to it?

2. if i connect a LAN wire from the modem to the WAN in my tp-link and let it run will it impact my actual network speed?

pictures:

Optus launches next gen Ultra WiFi ModemSetting up your Optus Ultra WiFi (Gen 2) LTE Modem 

image.jpeg.74ab1dcd655417c2e46b9e50bc501248.jpegimage.jpeg.3accef01d4cd1d897c42341b8daa7d0d.jpeg

Edited by SirajSyed1606
mistake in forming the sentence

I run a similar setup at home. I have an Optus modem linked to a switch, then that breaks out to each ethernet port around my house. I then have an Ubiquiti wireless access point that I use instead of the Optus one for wireless.

So far it's been working just fine and I haven't noticed any issues with speed over my network. But I only have 100mbps. Everything wired is working fine at gigabit speeds.

It's honestly a bit of a ballache having to deal with Optus "Needing" you to route traffic through their router to actually access the internet, I wish they would drop the BS on that front.

so its not going to impact network speeds if i take the lan from my modem and convert it into a wireless wifi

28 minutes ago, SirajSyed1606 said:

1. I have an Optus modem can I connect a tp-link Wireless N router (as a range extender) to it?

Not going to be a huge enough upgrade to justify the cost unless you're not that walled. I personally run similar N access point from TP-Link and the range is simply not enough to cover my 2 floor 200m squared house.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

5 minutes ago, SirajSyed1606 said:

Shouldn't have a major (if any) impact. Your wireless is going to be more impacted by your actual ISP's speeds given Australian internet is junk.