Proxmox loses connection with 8 ram sticks but not with 4...

Hi Community!

I have been having a problem with my server running proxmox, i will post the specs of the server under the explenation of my problem.
So my server has this thing where it will boot just fine i will have access to the proxmox web ui, i am able to run my vms that i need (plex, home assistant, AMP) and then after 10min it will just stop having a connection to the network, non of the USB ports will work either. When i go and look at the server all the fans are still spinning but i just dont have access to my proxmox server anymore and all the vms that are running on it also loose their connection. Then i have to reboot the server and it works again just fine for another 10-15min and then it happens again. My server has the following specs,

Mobo: x99 dual CPU (chinese sadly)
CPU: 2x intel xeon E5-2670 v3
Ram: 8x 16GB 2133Mhz ECC
PSU: 500 watts

Ofc having these issues for a while you start testing and checking what the problems could be, and i figured out that when i use only 4 ram stick instead of 8 there are no problems, i have tested all the ram sticks and they all work. For some reason i just cant use 8 ram sticks because when i do my server just loses network connection after 10-15min of running. Any help to wat the problem could be is welcome since i have been trying things for 3 months now with no succes.

1 hour ago, Noobz said:

Hi Community!

I have been having a problem with my server running proxmox, i will post the specs of the server under the explenation of my problem.
So my server has this thing where it will boot just fine i will have access to the proxmox web ui, i am able to run my vms that i need (plex, home assistant, AMP) and then after 10min it will just stop having a connection to the network, non of the USB ports will work either. When i go and look at the server all the fans are still spinning but i just dont have access to my proxmox server anymore and all the vms that are running on it also loose their connection. Then i have to reboot the server and it works again just fine for another 10-15min and then it happens again. My server has the following specs,

Mobo: x99 dual CPU (chinese sadly)
CPU: 2x intel xeon E5-2670 v3
Ram: 8x 16GB 2133Mhz ECC
PSU: 500 watts

Ofc having these issues for a while you start testing and checking what the problems could be, and i figured out that when i use only 4 ram stick instead of 8 there are no problems, i have tested all the ram sticks and they all work. For some reason i just cant use 8 ram sticks because when i do my server just loses network connection after 10-15min of running. Any help to wat the problem could be is welcome since i have been trying things for 3 months now with no succes.

Have you run Memtest86 on the machine with 8 sticks in?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

1 hour ago, ChonkerFox said:

Yes all the ram sticks are new and are working perfectly without any errors. Also if a ram stick would not be working the Mobo would show me a B7 error code on booting which it doesnt it boots just fine and only loses connection and power to the USB ports after 10-15min of running.

On 7/11/2023 at 3:00 PM, ChonkerFox said:

New update: i got it to work with 6 ram sticks now but the second i add the last 2 sticks and have all 8 in there it doesnt work anymore. when i do a memtest with all the sticks in there it freezes at this part of the test (check picture)

Now i did check all the ram sticks individually with memtest86+ and none of them have errors, so i really have no idea what is the problem that prevents me from using 8 sticks.

IMG_4032.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Noobz said:

New update: i got it to work with 6 ram sticks now but the second i add the last 2 sticks and have all 8 in there it doesnt work anymore. when i do a memtest with all the sticks in there it freezes at this part of the test (check picture)

Now i did check all the ram sticks individually with memtest86+ and none of them have errors, so i really have no idea what is the problem that prevents me from using 8 sticks.

IMG_4032.jpeg

I've got a feeling it could be the board topology for the RAM on that cheap chinese board.  have you tried running the RAM at 2133 instead of 2400?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

19 minutes ago, ChonkerFox said:

I've got a feeling it could be the board topology for the RAM on that cheap chinese board.  have you tried running the RAM at 2133 instead of 2400?

When Proxmox is running it runs at 2133. memtest86+ just shows the max speed the ram can do.

22 minutes ago, ChonkerFox said:

IMG_4033.jpeg

could be a memory controller going bad on one of the CPUs at this point.  is there anyway you could get another one to test it?  I see them on ebay in the UK for 13-25 quid