Hard Drive IO Error

Max1996LTT

I recently bought a second-hand HDD, but Windows appears to be unable to actually detect it. When I tried to go into Disk Manager to format it, I got the message “The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.”

First thing to try is to just swap the cables, hopefully that is the fix.  Could be a cable or two is just not plugged in all the way so try checking out the cables first.  If double checking the cables and swapping out a cable or two doesn't fix the issue, my next bet is the drive is dead.  I'm guessing the person that you bought the drive from does not have a return policy.  Hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Take care and good luck.

26 minutes ago, Max1996LTT said:

I recently bought a second-hand HDD, but Windows appears to be unable to actually detect it. When I tried to go into Disk Manager to format it, I got the message “The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.”

Likely a dead drive. Hard drives are one of the only things you do not want to buy second-hand. It's just not worth it. You don't know if it's been abused, dropped, or used for thousands of hours. Plus if you're buying online, the type of person who would sell a second-hand (not refurbished) drive likely doesn't know or isn't bothered to pack it properly for shipping. Hard drives require specific packaging to arrive safely. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Likely a dead drive. Hard drives are one of the only things you do not want to buy second-hand. It's just not worth it. You don't know if it's been abused, dropped, or used for thousands of hours. Plus if you're buying online, the type of person who would sell a second-hand (not refurbished) drive likely doesn't know or isn't bothered to pack it properly for shipping. Hard drives require specific packaging to arrive safely. 

Just to make sure, what would properly packing entail?

It might be me being naive, but I can faintly hear the drive in question spinning normally when connected to power via an enclosure.

8 minutes ago, Max1996LTT said:

Just to make sure, what would properly packing entail?

With fitting packing material like what the OEMs would use. 

Spoiler

Western Digital Blue Desktop Hard Drive 1TB 3.5" WD10EZEX Internal HDD  SATA | eBay

pack_drives.gif.c4b32a1745085c391321131bece2d050.gif

There have been instances where people have received drives from sellers and even Amazon with the drive in its anti-static bag rattling inside an otherwise empty box. 

Spoiler

I ordered a mechanical HDD directly from Toshiba's store on Amazon. Came  like this: big box, no padding and no protections aside the anti-static  plastic and a single sheet of paper. It's

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

With fitting packing material like what the OEMs would use. 

Hide contents

Western Digital Blue Desktop Hard Drive 1TB 3.5" WD10EZEX Internal HDD  SATA | eBay

pack_drives.gif.c4b32a1745085c391321131bece2d050.gif

There have been instances where people have received drives from sellers and even Amazon with the drive in its anti-static bag rattling inside an otherwise empty box. 

Hide contents

I ordered a mechanical HDD directly from Toshiba's store on Amazon. Came  like this: big box, no padding and no protections aside the anti-static  plastic and a single sheet of paper. It's

In my case, it had a single sheet of foam wrapped around it, inside a box where it fit very snugly. Albeit no anti-static bag.

Asking on the off-chance the drive might not be dead, but how relevant is what I've been told, provided it's true? It was used in a Synology prior to the sale, with a low number of operation hours.

Take it out, unplug wires, CAREFULLY, and look at the Sata power and data hookup on the drive, where the wires plug in. Sometimes people break them off and dont realize it and it will power on but wont connect cause the data side isnt connecting correctly.

24 minutes ago, AI_Must_Di3 said:

Take it out, unplug wires, CAREFULLY, and look at the Sata power and data hookup on the drive, where the wires plug in. Sometimes people break them off and dont realize it and it will power on but wont connect cause the data side isnt connecting correctly.

There appears to be nothing out of the ordinary with the connectors.

2 hours ago, Max1996LTT said:

In my case, it had a single sheet of foam wrapped around it, inside a box where it fit very snugly. Albeit no anti-static bag.

Asking on the off-chance the drive might not be dead, but how relevant is what I've been told, provided it's true? It was used in a Synology prior to the sale, with a low number of operation hours.

The fact that it was in some sort of NAS (presumably as that's what Synology makes in addditon to other IoT and enterprise stuff) for that low number of hours and is being sold off is rather suspicious... Unless it was a cold spare but still. 

After discussing it with the seller, we've come to an agreement. Because returning it would mean me having to pay shipping and him having a defective drive, I get to keep it. However, I do get refunded the item price and half of the original shipping cost.