First SFF AM5 build, coming from Haswell. Help is appreciated!

Budget (including currency): 3000 EUR

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: AAA games (Cyberpunk, Jedi: Survivor, etc.), Esport titles (CS:GO), Emulation (yuzu, etc.), CAD modelling and FEM analysis (Solidworks/CATIA, ANSYS), Music production (Ableton, Reason), AI (Tensorflow/Pytorch)

Other details Planning to build in the NR200P MAX. Currently have a 1080p 60Hz monitor, thinking about going 1440p 144Hz. My mouse is an old Roccat Kone that has started to die, looking at a wireless replacement, such as the G305 or G PRO X. Any suggestions are very welcome here as well.

Hi there!

Long time watcher, first time poster, who recently started earning adult money after finishing my masters. I am currently on a Haswell (i7-4870HQ) based laptop that I got in 2016, the MSI GS30 + a desktop 1060 3GB in the docking station. It is extremely loud, very audible even at idle, thermal throttles even with agressive undervolting/underclocking, and has a nasty habit of the fan bearings dying (currently on fan replacement #4). An upgrade has been long overdue.

I am an engineer, and beside doing some coding, AI and some virtualization and VM based things, I also do 3D modelling and printing in my free time. I also dabble in music production.

I would like to go SFF for my first proper build, and I would like to use the NR200P MAX. I believe it is quite beginner friendly and would be a great option for me, but I also understand that this severely limits my options and increases costs for my motherboard choice. For the platform, I would like to go with an AMD 7800X3D based system, not only because it is pretty much the best thing you can get for the money, but also AMD's promise for supporting the AM5 socket for much longer than Intel generally supports theirs, means that I can just pop a new CPU in towards the end-of-life of AM5, should the need arise.

For the motherboard, given that I'm looking for an ITX AM5 board, unfortunately the options are quite limited. I was going to go with the B650i AORUS ULTRA from Gigabyte, but unfortunately it seems that they are not selling it in Europe, and I have no wish to deal with importing it from overseas (and the difficulties, should I need to RMA it).  I was looking at the MSI MPG B650I EDGE WIFI and the Asrock B650E PG-ITX WiFi. I would like to have 2.5G ethernet (they both have it), 3 SATA ports - this makes me lean towards the MSI board, and a sizeable amount of USB ports (as I have a lot of peripherals - MIDI keyboard, audio interface). I considered going for the X670 boards instead of the B650 ones for more ports, but I'm not sure if the extra price would be worth it, given as it is an ITX board, I wouldn't be able to use the extra PCIe lanes anyway (plus an USB hub is much cheaper haha).

My brother (who has an NR200P) mentioned that some M-ATX boards (such as the Asrock B650M-HDV) do fit in the NR200P, as the max size is 244mm*226mm if I remember correctly. So if you have some M-ATX boards that could be options here, please let me know.

I would like to completely avoid Asus after their recent crapshow with the warranty on their AM5 boards. I also owned an Asus laptop before this. That whole series of laptops had a well-documented hinge issue that cracks the casing over time, and Asus refused to honor the warranty, until I threatened to contact consumer protection, as the issue was clearly a widespread one arising from their crappy design.

RAM-wise, I'm leaning towards 32GB of DDR5, but maybe could even go with 64GB, seeing as I use some VMs and a wide variety of RAM hungry applications as well. Help would be especially appreciated here, as I'm a bit out of the loop with what an ideal pairing with the 7800X3D would be, with regards to timings and speed.

For storage, I would like to get an 1-2TB NVMe SSD as a primary boot drive, but also some SATA SSDs as storage for larger programs and games, so I would really appreciate if you could suggest some great options for both form factors. Despite its size, the NR200P MAX has 2 mounts for 2.5" SSDs at the front, and it even has a 3.5" mount on the power supply cage, so I might even throw in my 8TB 3.5" HDD from the dock for archival storage. (Therefore a motherboard with at least 3 SATA connectors would be nice)

For the GPU, I have to go NVIDIA unfortunately. CUDA support is important for me, and I also use some AI model training frameworks, where AMD support is a bit lack-luster to my knowledge (CAD software also tends to play much nicer with NVIDIA). I would go with the 7900XTX, but for the aforementioned reasons I'm planning to go with a 4080. If anyone has any suggestion on which partner models I should consider here, please let me know.

Power supply and an AIO are included in the NR200P MAX already, so the only other parts I think I need are some slim 120mm fans for the bottom of the case, probably Noctuas. As mentioned in the title, looking to upgrade my monitor and mouse as well.

Thank you for reading and your suggestions in advance, and I hope you have a lovely day! 🙂

1 hour ago, Reedim said:

Budget (including currency): 3000 EUR

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: AAA games (Cyberpunk, Jedi: Survivor, etc.), Esport titles (CS:GO), Emulation (yuzu, etc.), CAD modelling and FEM analysis (Solidworks/CATIA, ANSYS), Music production (Ableton, Reason), AI (Tensorflow/Pytorch)

Other details Planning to build in the NR200P MAX. Currently have a 1080p 60Hz monitor, thinking about going 1440p 144Hz. My mouse is an old Roccat Kone that has started to die, looking at a wireless replacement, such as the G305 or G PRO X. Any suggestions are very welcome here as well.

Hi there!

Long time watcher, first time poster, who recently started earning adult money after finishing my masters. I am currently on a Haswell (i7-4870HQ) based laptop that I got in 2016, the MSI GS30 + a desktop 1060 3GB in the docking station. It is extremely loud, very audible even at idle, thermal throttles even with agressive undervolting/underclocking, and has a nasty habit of the fan bearings dying (currently on fan replacement #4). An upgrade has been long overdue.

I am an engineer, and beside doing some coding, AI and some virtualization and VM based things, I also do 3D modelling and printing in my free time. I also dabble in music production.

I would like to go SFF for my first proper build, and I would like to use the NR200P MAX. I believe it is quite beginner friendly and would be a great option for me, but I also understand that this severely limits my options and increases costs for my motherboard choice. For the platform, I would like to go with an AMD 7800X3D based system, not only because it is pretty much the best thing you can get for the money, but also AMD's promise for supporting the AM5 socket for much longer than Intel generally supports theirs, means that I can just pop a new CPU in towards the end-of-life of AM5, should the need arise.

For the motherboard, given that I'm looking for an ITX AM5 board, unfortunately the options are quite limited. I was going to go with the B650i AORUS ULTRA from Gigabyte, but unfortunately it seems that they are not selling it in Europe, and I have no wish to deal with importing it from overseas (and the difficulties, should I need to RMA it).  I was looking at the MSI MPG B650I EDGE WIFI and the Asrock B650E PG-ITX WiFi. I would like to have 2.5G ethernet (they both have it), 3 SATA ports - this makes me lean towards the MSI board, and a sizeable amount of USB ports (as I have a lot of peripherals - MIDI keyboard, audio interface). I considered going for the X670 boards instead of the B650 ones for more ports, but I'm not sure if the extra price would be worth it, given as it is an ITX board, I wouldn't be able to use the extra PCIe lanes anyway (plus an USB hub is much cheaper haha).

My brother (who has an NR200P) mentioned that some M-ATX boards (such as the Asrock B650M-HDV) do fit in the NR200P, as the max size is 244mm*226mm if I remember correctly. So if you have some M-ATX boards that could be options here, please let me know.

I would like to completely avoid Asus after their recent crapshow with the warranty on their AM5 boards. I also owned an Asus laptop before this. That whole series of laptops had a well-documented hinge issue that cracks the casing over time, and Asus refused to honor the warranty, until I threatened to contact consumer protection, as the issue was clearly a widespread one arising from their crappy design.

RAM-wise, I'm leaning towards 32GB of DDR5, but maybe could even go with 64GB, seeing as I use some VMs and a wide variety of RAM hungry applications as well. Help would be especially appreciated here, as I'm a bit out of the loop with what an ideal pairing with the 7800X3D would be, with regards to timings and speed.

For storage, I would like to get an 1-2TB NVMe SSD as a primary boot drive, but also some SATA SSDs as storage for larger programs and games, so I would really appreciate if you could suggest some great options for both form factors. Despite its size, the NR200P MAX has 2 mounts for 2.5" SSDs at the front, and it even has a 3.5" mount on the power supply cage, so I might even throw in my 8TB 3.5" HDD from the dock for archival storage. (Therefore a motherboard with at least 3 SATA connectors would be nice)

For the GPU, I have to go NVIDIA unfortunately. CUDA support is important for me, and I also use some AI model training frameworks, where AMD support is a bit lack-luster to my knowledge (CAD software also tends to play much nicer with NVIDIA). I would go with the 7900XTX, but for the aforementioned reasons I'm planning to go with a 4080. If anyone has any suggestion on which partner models I should consider here, please let me know.

Power supply and an AIO are included in the NR200P MAX already, so the only other parts I think I need are some slim 120mm fans for the bottom of the case, probably Noctuas. As mentioned in the title, looking to upgrade my monitor and mouse as well.

Thank you for reading and your suggestions in advance, and I hope you have a lovely day! 🙂

Hi, I made you a build list that I think you are going to really like.  I spent a bit of time on this one and I found it impossible to stick to your budget. With NVIDIA the cost just goes over. If I put an AMD GPU in there I can get it under your budget. I threw in a Mouse and Monitor as well but keep in mind that these are not part of your budget either. Also keep in mind that the 7800X3D is a very HOT CPU and a 280mm AIO will struggle to Cool it. SFF is not recommended if the right sized Cooling Solution is being used. For the 7800X3D I would use a 360mm or a 420mm AIO.

I have been building PCs for 30 years so if you have any questions please ask.

https://se.pcpartpicker.com/list/BPKjPX

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  (kr5390.00 @ Amazon Sweden)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B650I EDGE WIFI Mini ITX AM5 Motherboard  (kr3073.30 @ Amazon Sweden)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  (kr3209.30 @ Amazon Sweden)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (kr1370.75 @ Amazon Sweden)
Video Card: Inno3D X3 OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card  (kr16491.88 @ Amazon Sweden)
Case: Cooler Master NR200P MAX Mini ITX Tower Case  (kr4221.00 @ Amazon Sweden)
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 65.51 CFM 120 mm Fan  (kr117.26 @ Amazon Sweden)
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 65.51 CFM 120 mm Fan  (kr117.26 @ Amazon Sweden)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2718-2KPC-MHD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved Monitor  (kr2713.00 @ Amazon Sweden)
Mouse: Logitech G305 (Black) Wireless Optical Mouse  (kr499.00 @ Amazon Sweden)
Total: kr37202.75

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772