7700x temperature question

I put together a 7700x in a zalman z9 neo black case and I paired it with a thermalright Frost tower 120. I am also running the 7700x in eco mode (via bios) on a gigabyte b650 x gaming ax.using HWinfo my idle temps sit around 35 CCD1 and 45 TCTL. Those two are never the same.However my issue is when I game I get these spikes into the low to mid 80s. They come down quick usually, but sometimes stay in the 70s. The Frost tower is not a quiet cooler once you get past 65%. It starts getting audible. So I tried to make a quieter curve but my max spike go up to the upper 80s. a slightly more aggressive curve sees spikes in the low 80s. My averages are usually in the 60s.I come from a 4670k which gamed around 60c and idled around 32c in the same case.So this is more temp then I expected for this proc in eco mode when gaming. I checked to see if my cooler was seated and it sits fine. I used mx4 thermal paste.So I am not sure if this is just normal for this processor or if there is something I am doing wrong. I really thought this would run cooler than this.

I wanted to add that in cinebench23 multicore I don't go above 68c and in single core I don't go above 60c. So the spikes surprise me.

10 minutes ago, Zarich said:

I put together a 7700x in a zalman z9 neo black case and I paired it with a thermalright Frost tower 120. I am also running the 7700x in eco mode (via bios) on a gigabyte b650 x gaming ax.using HWinfo my idle temps sit around 35 CCD1 and 45 TCTL. Those two are never the same.However my issue is when I game I get these spikes into the low to mid 80s. They come down quick usually, but sometimes stay in the 70s. The Frost tower is not a quiet cooler once you get past 65%. It starts getting audible. So I tried to make a quieter curve but my max spike go up to the upper 80s. a slightly more aggressive curve sees spikes in the low 80s. My averages are usually in the 60s.I come from a 4670k which gamed around 60c and idled around 32c in the same case.So this is more temp then I expected for this proc in eco mode when gaming. I checked to see if my cooler was seated and it sits fine. I used mx4 thermal paste.So I am not sure if this is just normal for this processor or if there is something I am doing wrong. I really thought this would run cooler than this.

I wanted to add that in cinebench23 multicore I don't go above 68c and in single core I don't go above 60c. So the spikes surprise me.

80c is perfectly normal on a 7700x, I get that with my NH-D15 in certain games ( not eco mode )  The 7000 series work very differently to other CPU's and they are designed to run at 95c 24/7 actually. Spikes in 7000 series is also very normal, nothing to worry about.  Timed the last video where he talks about it as well, check out Jayz video too, they are lengthy but will explain how and why they run hot ( on purpose ).
https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-ryzen-7000-cpus-are-built-to-run-at-95c-24x7-without-affecting-lifespan-or-reliability/

2 hours ago, Hinjima said:

80c is perfectly normal on a 7700x, I get that with my NH-D15 in certain games ( not eco mode )  The 7000 series work very differently to other CPU's and they are designed to run at 95c 24/7 actually. Spikes in 7000 series is also very normal, nothing to worry about.  Timed the last video where he talks about it as well, check out Jayz video too, they are lengthy but will explain how and why they run hot ( on purpose ).
https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-ryzen-7000-cpus-are-built-to-run-at-95c-24x7-without-affecting-lifespan-or-reliability/

Thank you for this.  This explains what is happening perfectly.  Now I get why it spikes and then my cooler ramps up to bring it down.  I never even hit 90 which is likely due to eco mode, but I noticed I hit 5.5ghz on 4 cores quite often so that is pretty cool.   So I then just need to hit a fan profile that I can live with knowing I am going to get those periodic spikes. 

Also thinking about taking off eco mode, because I clearly have headroom. 

1 hour ago, Zarich said:

Thank you for this.  This explains what is happening perfectly.  Now I get why it spikes and then my cooler ramps up to bring it down.  I never even hit 90 which is likely due to eco mode, but I noticed I hit 5.5ghz on 4 cores quite often so that is pretty cool.   So I then just need to hit a fan profile that I can live with knowing I am going to get those periodic spikes. 

Also thinking about taking off eco mode, because I clearly have headroom. 

No problem mate!  It kinda throws everything we know about CPU temps out the window with these new 7000 chips.  I have my CPU fancurve at 30% ( NH-D15 dual fan / quiet fans ) until 93c and then I have it set to 100% from then.  I want the best cooling possible if my CPU some how gets pegged 100% at 95c to get the best clockspeed, it only happens when I run windows defender anyways.  I like silence so I dont mind if the CPU hits 83c at 30% fancurve, its fine.