Asus Vivobook 15 X512DA

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

CPU: RYZEN 5 3500U

RAM: 12 GB

GPU Drivers:AMD Software:

Adrenaline 

CPU Drivers: AMD Ryzen Chipset Driver 3.10.08.506

Here is every troubleshooting I did before posting;

• I system restored it ten days before the problem manifested and it fixed it for a while but after a day, the issue came back.
  • I tested with Power Plans as others suggested but it didn't solve it.
  • Following suggestions, I updated the BIOS from 317 to 318 but again, it didn't fixed it
  • I replaced the thermal paste but it didn't even affect the problem
  • I reseted my PC (Reset my PC but Keep Files). I thought it solved it as it was working fine but again after a day, the issue is back
  • I unplugged the battery and ran it through wall power but nothing happened

I tried every method and solution that I've read in the forums and other boards but nothing has help to permanently solve it. I am desperate for the last week thus me posting this hoping for a solution. 

Few things I've noticed, starting it up, it ran at full speed at 2.10 GHz (even turboing to 3.10~ GHz) for the first few minutes but then suddenly drop amd limit at 0.40 GHz. 

I tried SpeedFan to check if I have a faulty fan. Though I couldn't control it, my Fan RPM speed is at just 460~ RPM more or less (while at 0.40 GHz). 

I hope this is enough information to cross out any culprits and find an end this terror. Thanks in advance! 

Edited by TobyP

I had a similar issue on an intel board. As far as I could tell, it was caused by a faulty sensor, that would send a throttle signal. Apparently on Ryzen this is a bit of a different problem. Check out this reddit thread -> https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/mq3tud/how_to_prevent_400mhz_clock_limit_keep_your/

Apparently you don't want to disable that flag on Ryzen. If you still have warranty, I'd RMA it as fast as possible. Otherwise maybe what was proposed in that thread will help you. Still will cost performance though 😕

Frequencies this low usually mean that the processor is in a kind of "safe mode", often because of thermal limits. Have you looked at the temperatures?

If you repasted it, are you sure everything went ok there? Though you said the problem was there before repasting, too, so idk.

1 hour ago, Cannot_think_of_good_name said:

Frequencies this low usually mean that the processor is in a kind of "safe mode", often because of thermal limits. Have you looked at the temperatures?

If you repasted it, are you sure everything went ok there? Though you said the problem was there before repasting, too, so idk.

Temps are at 45-47 Celsius most of the time 

1 hour ago, adm0n said:

I had a similar issue on an intel board. As far as I could tell, it was caused by a faulty sensor, that would send a throttle signal. Apparently on Ryzen this is a bit of a different problem. Check out this reddit thread -> https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/mq3tud/how_to_prevent_400mhz_clock_limit_keep_your/

Apparently you don't want to disable that flag on Ryzen. If you still have warranty, I'd RMA it as fast as possible. Otherwise maybe what was proposed in that thread will help you. Still will cost performance though 😕

So it is more of a hardware problem rather than a software issue? 

27 minutes ago, TobyP said:

So it is more of a hardware problem rather than a software issue? 

In this case it is a combination. Something is sending a signal, that makes your CPU throttle. It might be faulty sensor or the signal triggering was implemented wrongly. You can also check in HWmonitor if this is actually what is happening. (see the reddit post again)

39 minutes ago, adm0n said:

In this case it is a combination. Something is sending a signal, that makes your CPU throttle. It might be faulty sensor or the signal triggering was implemented wrongly. You can also check in HWmonitor if this is actually what is happening. (see the reddit post again)

Here's my HW Monitor. I'll read the poast again. 

received_796272055570195.webp

Just now, TobyP said:

Here's my HW Monitor. I'll read the poast again. 

received_796272055570195.webp

I meant HWiNFO, sorry 😄

1 hour ago, adm0n said:

I meant HWiNFO, sorry 😄

Here! Compared to the post, where its up and down, I'm constantly at 0.40 image.thumb.png.b5be4ef5f14870b5ec76b586586d559e.png

2 minutes ago, TobyP said:

Here! Compared to the post, where its up and down, I'm constantly at 0.40 image.thumb.png.b5be4ef5f14870b5ec76b586586d559e.png

That would fit either my faulty sensor hypotheses or there is something else that is sending that signal, that is overheating.

4 minutes ago, adm0n said:

That would fit either my faulty sensor hypotheses or there is something else that is sending that signal, that is overheating.

Hmm, Is there any possible way to isolate the cause? 

Download throttlestop. It will show you what throttle is triggering.

the fix is most likely going to be new hardware.

7 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

Download throttlestop. It will show you what throttle is triggering.

the fix is most likely going to be new hardware.

Downloaded it, it doesn't support my CPU though. 

8 minutes ago, TobyP said:

Downloaded it, it doesn't support my CPU though. 

Sorry, Ryzen Master is the amd equivalent but I’m not sure it shows the throttle reasons like throttlestop does. Worth a look anyway.

29 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

Sorry, Ryzen Master is the amd equivalent but I’m not sure it shows the throttle reasons like throttlestop does. Worth a look anyway.

He already knows the reason, it's PROCHOT EXT

1 hour ago, TobyP said:

Hmm, Is there any possible way to isolate the cause? 

From what I can tell, there isn't really an easy way to do that. You can try out all the other tips that are floating around online (reinstall windows, update drivers, set the correct power profiles). But what most reliably fixed it, was using different hardware.

Maybe you can find a way to disable the signal though. I hope you'll find something.