Airflow Advice

MrMyth
Go to solution Solved by Alinz,
5 minutes ago, MrMyth said:

1) Does this airflow make sense? I would think so, because it gets fresh, cool air over the CPU and GPU, and pulls out hot air on the bottom and back (bottom has enough clearance)

This goes against convection (warm air rises)

6 minutes ago, MrMyth said:

2) Would it be a lot smarter, to have the radiator below the top fans, if I use them as intake? Will the amount of air pushed/pulled through be significantly more or better?

flip the radiator fans to push air through the rad instead of pulling it through

7 minutes ago, MrMyth said:

3) Is this a stupid design, because hot air tends to rise up, and the fans won't be able to pull everything through?

It is sub-optimal at best I guess

4) If it is flawed, what would be a decent airflow setup with these 10 fan spots?
I'd prefer if as many fans as possible had the intake side visible in the case, for aesthetics ofc xd

side fans - intake

bottom fans - intake

top fans - out

rear fan - out

Note: this is, I believe the most optimal setup for your 10 fans. 

Hello!

I now have the NZXT H9 Flow case and recently bought my first AIO Pump, etc.

Now I just have a few questions for the airflow setup I had in mind. 

I wanna prioritize CPU cooling to keep my R7 7700X chill, and thought of the following:

(Graphic not to scale, let my mspaint skills astonish you)

image.thumb.png.ee6daa1a86f5b4c2bd5e3c8fb3d26a46.png\

My questions would be

1) Does this airflow make sense? I would think so, because it gets fresh, cool air over the CPU and GPU, and pulls out hot air on the bottom and back (bottom has enough clearance)
2) Would it be a lot smarter, to have the radiator below the top fans, if I use them as intake? Will the amount of air pushed/pulled through be significantly more or better?

3) Is this a stupid design, because hot air tends to rise up, and the fans won't be able to pull everything through?

4) If it is flawed, what would be a decent airflow setup with these 10 fan spots?
I'd prefer if as many fans as possible had the intake side visible in the case, for aesthetics ofc xd

Focus as I said on CPU cooling, and ofc there will have to be exhaust sides of fans visible, I don't mind if thats the case 😄

Thanks in advance everybody!

5 minutes ago, MrMyth said:

This goes against convection (warm air rises)

6 minutes ago, MrMyth said:

flip the radiator fans to push air through the rad instead of pulling it through

It is sub-optimal at best I guess

side fans - intake

bottom fans - intake

top fans - out

rear fan - out

Note: this is, I believe the most optimal setup for your 10 fans. 

My Rig: CPU : 10700K | RAM : Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz c16 32G (4x8) | CPU cooler : NHD15 | GPU : ASUS ProArt 4070 | PSU : Corsair RM850 (black label) | CASE : Corsair 5000D Airflow | Storage : Samsung 970 evo 1TB, WD Black 1TB, Samsung evo 850 Sata SSD | Casefans : Lian Li Unifan SL120 7X|

MOUSE : G Pro Wireless X superlight | Keyboard : Keychron C1- Pro-H1 Gateron Milky Reds

2 minutes ago, Alinz said:

side fans - intake

bottom fans - intake

top fans - out

rear fan - out

I second this.

Also depending whether your GPU has a flow through design, you might push two air streams into each other with your current setup.

As a side note, I would only recommend having bottom intake fans, if you plan on cleaning the dust filter from time to time. And obviously don't put the case on a carpet.

MrMyth Looks like the issue is solved.....remember to mark Alinz as the solution or there will be a ton more replies from people thinking you still require asistance.

23 minutes ago, adm0n said:

As a side note, I would only recommend having bottom intake fans, if you plan on cleaning the dust filter from time to time. And obviously don't put the case on a carpet.

What would the advantage of this be against having intake at bottom AND front?

30 minutes ago, Alinz said:

side fans - intake

bottom fans - intake

top fans - out

rear fan - out

+1. And besides, fan being behind the radiator as an intake means youre pulling. This is HUGELY disadvantageous for dust management, because this means that the dust filter will clog more and once the dust starts to get in the radiator, theyll be very stuck in there.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

If you try pushing air out the bottom of the case you just increase air turbulence due to the manner in which heat rises. pulling cooler air in thru the bottom helps lower temps as it is ambient and the over pressure will help with forcing air out of the case is the simplest answer.

2 minutes ago, MrMyth said:

What would the advantage of this be against having intake at bottom AND front?

I was in no way suggestion you drop the front/side fans. I was just talking about the bottom intakes. So if you decide to go with the bottom intakes, just make sure you think about the dust filter, as it can suck in dust from the floor.

You could of course also skip the side intakes, which would mean that your CPU has to use the already heated air from the GPU to cool itself. In general less fans -> less noise and less power consumption. As long as your fans spin slow enough, you won't hear the difference. And you also rather want 2 slow spinning fans instead of one fast spinning fan.

1 minute ago, adm0n said:

I was in no way suggestion you drop the front/side fans. I was just talking about the bottom intakes. So if you decide to go with the bottom intakes, just make sure you think about the dust filter, as it can suck in dust from the floor.

You could of course also skip the side intakes, which would mean that your CPU has to use the already heated air from the GPU to cool itself. In general less fans -> less noise and less power consumption. As long as your fans spin slow enough, you won't hear the difference. And you also rather want 2 slow spinning fans instead of one fast spinning fan.

I see, thanks for clarifying! 

The bottom/side intake & top/rear exhaust is luckily already my current setup, so I won't have to change anything besides some cable management lol

Thanks again!

I would have the radiator fans as exhaust, and the rear fan as exhaust. But all others as intake. That way the heat from the radiator is going out of the case instead of into it

I would keep it as is in the picture, except I would turn the basement fans around to intake.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143