1080p set up

Budget (including currency): Currency: USD  Budget: unlimited* (within reason, like I don't need a 4060 to play at 1080p)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: War Thunder, DCS, Squad, I will also likely play some new triple a games 

Other details: I currently have a B660M-C, GTX 1650, core i3 - 12100F, 32 gigs of ram at 3600MHz(its set to 3200 bc of motherboard) and a 600 watt power supply. 

I am currently looking at buying the AMD 6600 XT and the core i5-12600K but I just wanted to check to see if I needed anything else or if there is something better to buy instead. 

2 minutes ago, Cookie_Crumbs said:

Budget (including currency): Currency: USD  Budget: unlimited* (within reason, like I don't need a 4060 to play at 1080p)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: War Thunder, DCS, Squad, I will also likely play some new triple a games 

Other details: I currently have a B660M-C, GTX 1650, core i3 - 12100F, 32 gigs of ram at 3600MHz(its set to 3200 bc of motherboard) and a 600 watt power supply. 

I am currently looking at buying the AMD 6600 XT and the core i5-12600K but I just wanted to check to see if I needed anything else or if there is something better to buy instead. 

That board won't handle the 12600K due to its weak 7 phase power design.  Look at a 12400F and a $20 single tower cpu cooler.

37 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

That board won't handle the 12600K due to its weak 7 phase power design.  Look at a 12400F and a $20 single tower cpu cooler.

I'm looking for a bit more power CPU wise. Is there a better option than the 12400f? and if not could you recommend a better board I could buy? Also what are your thoughts on the GPU?

6 minutes ago, Cookie_Crumbs said:

I'm looking for a bit more power CPU wise. Is there a better option than the 12400f? and if not could you recommend a better board I could buy? Also what are your thoughts on the GPU?

This board will handle that cpu due to its 12 phase power design. Pair it up with a DeepCool AG620 cpu cooler.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yMGbt6/msi-pro-b760-p-wifi-ddr4-atx-lga1700-motherboard-pro-b760-p-wifi-ddr4 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-B760-P-WIFI-DDR4

5 hours ago, Cookie_Crumbs said:

unlimited

never give a blank check to a stranger on the internet. Give me the budget youre willing to spend.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

12 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

never give a blank check to a stranger on the internet. Give me the budget youre willing to spend.

ok lets say $800(assuming I need a better CPU GPU and MB). And if you need more details on my system I am happy to send them

1 minute ago, Cookie_Crumbs said:

ok lets say $800(assuming I need a better CPU GPU and MB). And if you need more details on my system I am happy to send them

phoning in. @Why_Me

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600KF 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor  ($292.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Burst Assassin 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($27.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($128.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card  ($319.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Deepcool PM750D 750 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($90.13 @ Amazon) 
Total: $860.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-29 00:16 EDT-0400

You can downgrade to the non XT version of the GPU to make it closer to the 5% overbudget but this would be a sweet upgrade kit for the PC.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

3 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

phoning in. @Why_Me

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600KF 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor  ($292.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Burst Assassin 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($27.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($128.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card  ($319.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Deepcool PM750D 750 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($90.13 @ Amazon) 
Total: $860.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-29 00:16 EDT-0400

You can downgrade to the non XT version of the GPU to make it closer to the 5% overbudget but this would be a sweet upgrade kit for the PC.

I already have a B660M. (B660M-C). I don't know too much about motherboards so is the one you listed better?

1 minute ago, Cookie_Crumbs said:

I already have a B660M. (B660M-C). I don't know too much about motherboards so is the one you listed better?

to re-quote before, 7 phase with minimum cooling wont be enough for anything beyond locked, low E core count i5. Youll need a new board. And yes ive checked path with Ryzen 5 7600, the DDR5 kit would put us over budget.

5 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

to re-quote before, 7 phase with minimum cooling wont be enough for anything beyond locked, low E core count i5. Youll need a new board. And yes ive checked path with Ryzen 5 7600, the DDR5 kit would put us over budget.

Thanks. So It sounds like I should just build a new system all together then. I was kinda hoping to just get away with upgrading my CPU and GPU but it sounds like that wouldn't be enough. You are clearly smarter than me what are your thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Cookie_Crumbs said:

a new system all together then

I mean if your case is solid its not that much of a rebuild, in the build i say to keep the storage, RAM, and case for the next build, include the cooler too if theyre solid. But yeah, "Ship of Theseus" moment.

11 minutes ago, Cookie_Crumbs said:

Thanks. So It sounds like I should just build a new system all together then. I was kinda hoping to just get away with upgrading my CPU and GPU but it sounds like that wouldn't be enough. You are clearly smarter than me what are your thoughts?

No idea what case you have but this gives you an idea of what you could do for a new build while reusing your RAM. Mind you the less expensive RTX 4060 is due out this August.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AG620 67.88 CFM CPU Cooler  ($47.98 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO B760-P WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($147.62 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: *Gigabyte EAGLE GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 8 GB Video Card  ($399.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99) 
Total: $895.57
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-29 00:41 EDT-0400