Surface Duo for emulation

kejyhov

Yesterday I was watching a YouTuber who said that currently 3DSs are getting scalped since they are a unique console, with the dual screens, touch, and 3D effect, which make emulation annoying if not outright impossible, similar to the PS Vita games that used the touch sensitive back, which nowadays can only be fully enjoyed if you have an actual Vita.

And it just dawned me, wouldn't a Surface Duo be the perfect emulation device for the 3DS? With the exception of the glassless 3D screen, it could be a replacement if some company made a joystick and stylus compatible with it.

Is there any good option nowadays to emulate 3DS also?

Surface Duo is missing the buttons, clearly. I don't see how that would be different than just a tablet in portrait mode. Although perhaps, if there was a way to pair Switch joycons with the device for physical controls... you'd definitely be onto something there.

It's a very niche use. You need software and hardware specifically made for the duo, which is a nieche product already, then have 3DS like controller hardware, then purpose made software for the duo. If you want to custom make it yourself, it would definitely work well. Either way you can still get a 2ds for like 30-50$ easily, 3DS XL for 80-100$, 3DS for around 50-60$,  NEW 2DS XL for around 130-150$ and 3DS XL for 150-180$. Not exactly super expensive especially for the lower end models

8 minutes ago, da na said:

Surface Duo is missing the buttons, clearly.

Which is why I said in the OP:

26 minutes ago, kejyhov said:

it could be a replacement if some company made a joystick and stylus compatible with it.

6 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

you can still get a 2ds for like 30-50$ easily, 3DS XL for 80-100$, 3DS for around 50-60$,  NEW 2DS XL for around 130-150$ and 3DS XL for 150-180$

Oh, it's not expensive at all. Wonder what the guy I watched was on about. Tbf I didn't look into it myself, but I had assumed that since it was being "scalped", it was a lot more expensive than that.

As for the idea of using a Duo, Microsoft has a history of aggressive price cuts in their failed products. Back in the day, you could even get a buy 1 get 1 offer for Lumia. If you purchased a 950XL you'd get a 950 for free, and the Duo is a failure just like Lumia, so I expect to see some big discounts sooner or later.