New build, what should I keep from the old one?

Go to solution Solved by PC HEROES,
17 hours ago, Siskofan said:

Budget (including currency): No more than $3000 (but ideally under $2000)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Modern and old AAA games, MMOs

Other details: So I won't need peripherals  as I plan to reuse my monitors, mouse, keyboard, speakers etc from my current system. My old system can be seen here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GGGCCb but in short it is an Intel i5 4670k and GTX 1070 8GB, I was planning on buying in the next week, and as for resolution and refresh rate I play at 1080p, 120-144 hz (but am perfectly happy with 60, I just have a 144 hz monitor).

Basically my new system I want to get is here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J3dbW4 (plus this as PCPP doesn't seem to have the 7600 listed yet). My questions are 1: Does this build make sense or am I going over/underkill on the CPU/GPU combo? 2: Is my 650 watt PSU from my old build ok to use with this (I do plan on keeping and reusing the storage from the old system) or is it smarter to get a new PSU? (I am currently not worried about future proofing the PSU for an upgrade in TDP. I will cross that bridge if I need to). It seems my new system will not surpass the continuous rating of my current PSU. 3: My current case, a Fractal Define R4 is perfect for my needs, should I keep it or will my new system (say the cooler height or GPU length) not fit in it?

I think I know what I am doing as this will be the second PC I built myself without help, but a little reassurance is never a bad thing. Thank you!

(PS: I know wifi isn't as good as wired internet, but in my current living situation I'm stuck with it. That aspect cannot be changed).

Hello, I'm going to try and help as best as I can. I'm going to do a list here to let you know what the problem areas of your current PC in relation to reusing some of the old parts in a newer PC and what issues arise with the new build list you put together and hopefully it will help.

1. Your new build list is OK at best in theory. Technically it will work but not as efficient or a good as it could be. I had to severely tweak it to get it to run at an optimal performance so that it wouldn't be laggy and slow. To fix this I had to change a lot of things but it is for the better.

2. The hype about the Radeon RX 7600 is not good right now. It just barely out performs the RX 6650XT so I changed it to the RX 6750XT so that you can play on 1080p Ultra/Max settings really high FPS for almost double the performance as the RX 7600.

3. I added some newer M.2 drives so that you can get rid of the older ones especially the spinning Hard Drive, unless you need really big mass storage then no one today uses spinning drives because they are really really slow and M.2 drives are so cheap. For example Newegg has the 2TB Seagate drive you have for $129.99 and the M.2 which is 1,000 x times faster is only $125.82, Transfer what you need off of the old drives onto the new M.2 drives and just keep the old ones for an emergency.

4. I had to replace the PC Case, for one it had next to no Airflow which is extremely important for a PC today as major parts all get really hot and in a case with no air movement then it will fry at some point. So I was able to find you a case that has plenty of Airflow with a Mesh front and top panel, has 3 included RGB Fans and 2 5.25 Optical Drive Bays for your Disk Drive.

5. The Motherboard I got you has built in WiFi so you don't need a separate PCIe card.

6. The CPU Cooler that you picked is a nice brand (Noctua) but it's just too much money for a Air Cooler. So I put in a Thermalright Phantom Spirit RGB Air Cooler that is actually better than the Noctua and it's only half as much in cost.

7. With the PSU I had to get a new one as the Wattage is over 650w so I added a 850w from Thermaltake and it the newer ATX 3.0/PCIe 5.0 Standard, it even has a bit of head room in case you want to upgrade the CPU or GPU in the future.

I think I covered about everything. I have been building PCs for 30 years so if you have any questions please ask, you can DM me if you want my business email and I can give you my number as I am in the US and can help anytime. Also if you like this build list I have for you then please mark it as the Solution. Thanks.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FbRzBj

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($296.92 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($50.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory  ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($125.82 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB Video Card  ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake TOUGHPOWER GF A3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Total: $1488.56

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Modern and old AAA games, MMOs

Other details: So I won't need peripherals  as I plan to reuse my monitors, mouse, keyboard, speakers etc from my current system. My old system can be seen here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GGGCCb but in short it is an Intel i5 4670k and GTX 1070 8GB, I was planning on buying in the next week, and as for resolution and refresh rate I play at 1080p, 120-144 hz (but am perfectly happy with 60, I just have a 144 hz monitor).

Basically my new system I want to get is here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J3dbW4 (plus this as PCPP doesn't seem to have the 7600 listed yet). My questions are 1: Does this build make sense or am I going over/underkill on the CPU/GPU combo? 2: Is my 650 watt PSU from my old build ok to use with this (I do plan on keeping and reusing the storage from the old system) or is it smarter to get a new PSU? (I am currently not worried about future proofing the PSU for an upgrade in TDP. I will cross that bridge if I need to). It seems my new system will not surpass the continuous rating of my current PSU. 3: My current case, a Fractal Define R4 is perfect for my needs, should I keep it or will my new system (say the cooler height or GPU length) not fit in it?

I think I know what I am doing as this will be the second PC I built myself without help, but a little reassurance is never a bad thing. Thank you!

(PS: I know wifi isn't as good as wired internet, but in my current living situation I'm stuck with it. That aspect cannot be changed).

For 1080p that build should be perfectly adequate

The CPU cooler should also fit and the GPU will be fine. If you want to save a bit of money, you could go for the Thermalright peerless assasin instead, you'll get the same performance, but not the good Noctua build quality and service.

The PSU will be fine too.

You could also consider the RX 6700XT if you'd like to spend a bit more. My only other advice would be to go for a 32GB (2x16 GB) memory setup and get a bit faster memory, as ryzen really likes it and 4dimms usually give you worse speed/performance. Something like a 5600MT/s kit would be entirely sufficient, while 6000MT/s is the best.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($297.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler  ($63.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: *MSI MPG B650 EDGE WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: *G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: MSI SPATIUM M450 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($31.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: *Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Best Buy) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $912.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-26 14:49 EDT-0400

17 hours ago, Siskofan said:

Hello, I'm going to try and help as best as I can. I'm going to do a list here to let you know what the problem areas of your current PC in relation to reusing some of the old parts in a newer PC and what issues arise with the new build list you put together and hopefully it will help.

1. Your new build list is OK at best in theory. Technically it will work but not as efficient or a good as it could be. I had to severely tweak it to get it to run at an optimal performance so that it wouldn't be laggy and slow. To fix this I had to change a lot of things but it is for the better.

2. The hype about the Radeon RX 7600 is not good right now. It just barely out performs the RX 6650XT so I changed it to the RX 6750XT so that you can play on 1080p Ultra/Max settings really high FPS for almost double the performance as the RX 7600.

3. I added some newer M.2 drives so that you can get rid of the older ones especially the spinning Hard Drive, unless you need really big mass storage then no one today uses spinning drives because they are really really slow and M.2 drives are so cheap. For example Newegg has the 2TB Seagate drive you have for $129.99 and the M.2 which is 1,000 x times faster is only $125.82, Transfer what you need off of the old drives onto the new M.2 drives and just keep the old ones for an emergency.

4. I had to replace the PC Case, for one it had next to no Airflow which is extremely important for a PC today as major parts all get really hot and in a case with no air movement then it will fry at some point. So I was able to find you a case that has plenty of Airflow with a Mesh front and top panel, has 3 included RGB Fans and 2 5.25 Optical Drive Bays for your Disk Drive.

5. The Motherboard I got you has built in WiFi so you don't need a separate PCIe card.

6. The CPU Cooler that you picked is a nice brand (Noctua) but it's just too much money for a Air Cooler. So I put in a Thermalright Phantom Spirit RGB Air Cooler that is actually better than the Noctua and it's only half as much in cost.

7. With the PSU I had to get a new one as the Wattage is over 650w so I added a 850w from Thermaltake and it the newer ATX 3.0/PCIe 5.0 Standard, it even has a bit of head room in case you want to upgrade the CPU or GPU in the future.

I think I covered about everything. I have been building PCs for 30 years so if you have any questions please ask, you can DM me if you want my business email and I can give you my number as I am in the US and can help anytime. Also if you like this build list I have for you then please mark it as the Solution. Thanks.

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($50.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory  ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($125.82 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB Video Card  ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake TOUGHPOWER GF A3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.99 @ Newegg)

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

On 5/27/2023 at 7:11 AM, PC HEROES said:

I appreciate your through response to my original post and I will probably stick to most of your suggestions, however i do have a few issues I wish to discuss.

This first is the PC case. I am strongly preferring to stick to my old one. I feel the airflow in it is more than adequate so I likely will not take your suggestion for a new one. Thank you though.

I based my air cooler choice on the recent LTT roundup of coolers and again would probably prefer that one to what was suggested here. But again, thank you.

The GPU suggestion is excellent, I will go with that!

As for the drives... well it's not that I don't need my old ones for mass storage, it's more I own them, I have data on them (like my Steam Library) I see no time to waste time and energy transferring files. I will take your recommendation on the NVME's though. You're right, there is no reason to not go NVME in this day and age.

PSU, again fine. The higher wattage and PCIe 3.0 Standard is excellent and useful.

Overall this is a much better build than what I had originally planned and unless you have further suggestions for my system, I will likely be going with this within the next week. Thank you again!

6 hours ago, Siskofan said:

I appreciate your through response to my original post and I will probably stick to most of your suggestions, however i do have a few issues I wish to discuss.

This first is the PC case. I am strongly preferring to stick to my old one. I feel the airflow in it is more than adequate so I likely will not take your suggestion for a new one. Thank you though.

I based my air cooler choice on the recent LTT roundup of coolers and again would probably prefer that one to what was suggested here. But again, thank you.

The GPU suggestion is excellent, I will go with that!

As for the drives... well it's not that I don't need my old ones for mass storage, it's more I own them, I have data on them (like my Steam Library) I see no time to waste time and energy transferring files. I will take your recommendation on the NVME's though. You're right, there is no reason to not go NVME in this day and age.

PSU, again fine. The higher wattage and PCIe 3.0 Standard is excellent and useful.

Overall this is a much better build than what I had originally planned and unless you have further suggestions for my system, I will likely be going with this within the next week. Thank you again!

All I can say is this, I'm just trying to help you as much as I can and I know from experience that Fractal Design Define R4 is not meant for today's hardware, back when that Case was developed the parts didn't nearly get as hot as they do now. Again I know this Case will not get the desired cooling factor you are looking for and your parts will be in danger.

The CPU Cooler I picked is the same as the one in the recent LTT video about Coolers. Well there are 2 models, the Phantom Spirit and the Peerless Assassin. They are both nearly identical in performance and they do work a bit better than Noctua for half the cost.

For the Storage I also know that you will see a noticeable speed issue when loading games or software from the older spinning HDD. You can use it for now but just consider replacing it soon as it makes less sense to keep it as it does to replace it with a NVME.

With that I wish you good luck, I really think you are going to need it. Happy building. I'm going to pray for you and the new parts.

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

11 hours ago, PC HEROES said:

All I can say is this, I'm just trying to help you as much as I can and I know from experience that Fractal Design Define R4 is not meant for today's hardware, back when that Case was developed the parts didn't nearly get as hot as they do now. Again I know this Case will not get the desired cooling factor you are looking for and your parts will be in danger.

The CPU Cooler I picked is the same as the one in the recent LTT video about Coolers. Well there are 2 models, the Phantom Spirit and the Peerless Assassin. They are both nearly identical in performance and they do work a bit better than Noctua for half the cost.

For the Storage I also know that you will see a noticeable speed issue when loading games or software from the older spinning HDD. You can use it for now but just consider replacing it soon as it makes less sense to keep it as it does to replace it with a NVME.

With that I wish you good luck, I really think you are going to need it. Happy building. I'm going to pray for you and the new parts.

I've done more soul searching than one might expect for a piece of stamped and riveted metal, but I have thought a lot over the suggestion for a new case, and I'm forced to conclude you're probably correct. My issue remains is I do not have the space for a second computer, or something like a self built NAS which means I would habe 2 mid tower cases sitting around, one of which is doing nothing, so I will have to find something to do with it. Perhaps resell it, I don't know. But upon reconsideration I'll get the new case.

As for the spinning drive, yes I know performance will drag, but I am adamantly against contributing to e waste (it's bad enough I have and old CPU, RAM, MB, GPU, and now PSU I cannot find a use for aside from reselling) so as long as it spins I will endure it. (Maybe I'll repurpose it to mass backup storage. I don't know). But it and the SATA SSD are sticking with the new system. 

As for the cooler, yeah upon a deeper check of that roundup I see my initial assessment was not correct. This is why I asked in the first place afterall. Once again I appreciate your input and apologize if my previous replies came across as rather harsh. That was not my intention byt reading back now I can see how it may come across that way.