• 5800x3d (new as of april)
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4
  • EVGA 3080 Ti Copper (new as of april)
  • Asus x570-E Mobo
  • Corsair RM1000x PSU (new as of april)
  • Custom liquid cooling loop

The problem:

• System will hang often on the VGA POST codes / white light
  • Hard killing power and restarting several times will lead to successful post (sometimes after two times, sometimes more than a dozen)
  • On some successful posts, shows windows loading screen, then video signal cuts, hear windows 11 startup sound, but no video signal

What has been done / history:

• The original problem stemmed from march when I cleaned components in the custom water loop, and killed the old GPU.
    • system would do nothing after dozens of restarts, landing on VGA post codes and white light
  • Purchased 3080 Ti Copper new in box from ebay, as well as 5800x3d (figured if I was going through trouble of messing with the loop for a 3rd time to upgrade)
    • In doing so, leaked some water onto the mobo and SSD area, cleaned well and reassembled (was not powered on)
  • Additionally purchased RM1000x PSU after confirming the old PSU didn't have capacity for 3080 Ti's power connectors
  • Originally thought the problem was with the RAM after reading, fiddled around, only have half of my total 64gb installed currently, which lead to successful boot
    • Clear now that the ram is not the issue
  • BIOS / software
    • The mobo BIOS was updated to the latest as of mid April
    • I have NOT reinstalled windows at this point, but am rounding the corner on doing it since it's one of the last options
      • I'm pretty sure however that a fresh windows install won't help the POST issues

What I have to test with:

• 1080 Ti
  • 2080 Ti Super (RMAed card)
  • 2015 system with core i7 5820k x99 mobo

I'm at a loss for where to look. Based on CPU and GPU being new, it's less likely they are the issue. I can swap the GPU to see if the problem persists, but honestly think because it's intermittent that it may be the mobo?

Any help is appreciated.

Check your GPU and RAM in your X99 system.

My thinking is that it's probably your motherboard. If it's failing to detect or boot with all your RAM, that alone typically points to a CPU or motherboard problem. Factor in other issues with a known good GPU, that will point to motherboard.

Unrelated:

As an Intel HEDT aficionado, I would like to congratulate you for keeping your 5820K X99 setup 🙂
The boys over in the Intel HEDT thread would probably love to see what you've got, even if it's not being used.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

30 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Check your GPU and RAM in your X99 system.

My thinking is that it's probably your motherboard. If it's failing to detect or boot with all your RAM, that alone typically points to a CPU or motherboard problem. Factor in other issues with a known good GPU, that will point to motherboard.

Unrelated:

As an Intel HEDT aficionado, I would like to congratulate you for keeping your 5820K X99 setup 🙂
The boys over in the Intel HEDT thread would probably love to see what you've got, even if it's not being used.

What's the conventional wisdom of how long before damage on the GPU without the water cooling? Complicates this troubleshooting >.<

30 minutes ago, Nemockulous said:

What's the conventional wisdom of how long before damage on the GPU without the water cooling? Complicates this troubleshooting >.<

It shouldn't be a major concern. You just need it running long enough to see if the system POSTs okay and if everything is detected properly in BIOS, should just take a minute or two.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!