CORE i9 9900k RAM Support

Go to solution Solved by pabedi15,

ok it seems like simply enabling XMP may have solved the problem with the ram speed as turning that on and leaving everything else in BIOS the same shows memory speed in task manager at 3600MHz to rather than 2667 which is what it was at before 

Hi, I need some help in terms of my memory. My current setup is:

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900k

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Master 

MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC

RAM: XPG SPECTRIX D50 32GB 2X16GB (3600MHz) 

POWER SUPPLY: XPG Core Reactor 850W GOLD

I'm thinking upgrading my ram to 64 GB at the same speed (3600MHz) Would it be pointless in that the CPU won't support DDR4 past 2666 MHz? I know that for possible upgrade paths for my PC, I'd need a whole new mother board for anything past intel 9th gen, but was thinking I could upgrade the RAM as well as add more storage options in the meantime. Alternatively, any suggestions to help boost the longevity of my PC in the years to come? 

1 minute ago, pabedi15 said:

MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z309 Gaming Edge AC

I'm thinking upgrading my ram to 64 GB at the same speed (3600MHz) Would it be pointless in that the CPU won't support DDR4 past 2666 MHz? I know that for possible upgrade paths for my PC, I'd need a whole new mother board for anything past intel 9th gen, but was thinking I could upgrade the RAM and add more storage. Alternatively, any suggestions to help boost the longevity of my PC in the years to come? 

New GPU could be handled by the 9900K. Also an overclock could be used by the system. More ram would not really help unless you are really using all of it. Check task manager. You can run DDR4 past 2666 by OC'ing the memory controller

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

7 minutes ago, pabedi15 said:

MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z309 Gaming Edge AC

I'm thinking upgrading my ram to 64 GB at the same speed (3600MHz) Would it be pointless in that the CPU won't support DDR4 past 2666 MHz? I know that for possible upgrade paths for my PC, I'd need a whole new mother board for anything past intel 9th gen, but was thinking I could upgrade the RAM as well as add more storage options in the meantime. Alternatively, any suggestions to help boost the longevity of my PC in the years to come? 

You can run faster ram than 2666mhz on that board / CPU. I ran 3200mhz on my 9900k, you need to enable XMP / overclock the RAM in the BIOS.  32GB is enough however.

The *supported* RAM speed is just what intel recommends.  What speed you can actually get varies from CPU to CPU even within all the i9 9900k chips out there.  Intel only guarantees that 2666MHz RAM will work.  Also worthy of note is running 2 sticks as apposed to 4 sticks is easier on the controller in the CPU too.  so just because you got 3600MHz running with 2 sticks is not a guarantee you'll get it working on 4 sticks as well 

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

4 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

New GPU could be handled by the 9900K. Also an overclock could be used by the system. More ram would not really help unless you are really using all of it. Check task manager. You can run DDR4 past 2666 by OC'ing the memory controller

I'm new to overclocking, do you think my motherboard's VRMs are good enough to support a stable overlock of the CPU. Also as far as cooling the CPU is currently AIO cooled with a NZXT Kraken X63

4 minutes ago, pabedi15 said:

I'm new to overclocking, do you think my motherboard's VRMs are good enough to support a stable overlock of the CPU. Also as far as cooling the CPU is currently AIO cooled with a NZXT Kraken X63

The VRMs should be good, as for the AIO can you do a cinebench all core run and tell me your temps in HWinfo

21 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

You can run faster ram than 2666mhz on that board / CPU. I ran 3200mhz on my 9900k, you need to enable XMP / overclock the RAM in the BIOS.  32GB is enough however.

when I go to bios, what would you recommend starting the overclock at 

33 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

When I use the try it feature on my MSI board, setting it to 3200 MHz which is the lowest option available during try it my PC blue screens, does this mean I'm out of luck in terms of overclocking the memory? 

When I use the try it feature on my MSI board, setting it to 3200 MHz which is the lowest option available during try it my PC blue screens, does this mean I'm out of luck in terms of overclocking the memory? 

unfortunately yes

13 minutes ago, pabedi15 said:

when I go to bios, what would you recommend starting the overclock at 

anything can i see how the BIOS screen please I can walk you through overclocking as I have done it a lot on MSI MB's

unfortunately yes

anything can i see how the BIOS screen please I can walk you through overclocking as I have done it a lot on MSI MB's

image.thumb.jpeg.1b8fdd0fa8067aa6e7fe8b9c65368a0b.jpeg

\\

IMG_6176.jpg

IMG_6175.jpg

Change OC Explore Mode to Expert and then change CPU Ratio Offset when running AVX to -1 and CPU ratio to +2

Then change LLC mode to level 4 and switching mode to the max

Then change LLC mode to level 4 and switching mode to the max

8 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

Change OC Explore Mode to Expert and then change CPU Ratio Offset when running AVX to -1 and CPU ratio to +2

I don't see LLC and it won't let me change the CPU ratio from auto to anything else 

I don't see LLC and it won't let me change the CPU ratio from auto to anything else 

image.thumb.jpeg.eda5da2ecb6985c783a4f7a46b6db75a.jpeg

ok it seems like simply enabling XMP may have solved the problem with the ram speed as turning that on and leaving everything else in BIOS the same shows memory speed in task manager at 3600MHz to rather than 2667 which is what it was at before 

4 minutes ago, pabedi15 said:

ok it seems like simply enabling XMP may have been the problem with the ram as turning that on and leaving everything else on shows memory speed in task manager at 3600MHz to rather than 2667 which is what it was at before 

Well there you go! 😄