SFP not recognized

NetWorker
Go to solution Solved by NetWorker,
1 hour ago, Robchil said:

yeah... "should not"... check if that card takes 1000Base at all. dig in the documentation. 

it's probably ment for datacenters using twinax to redundant 10Gb switches. like cisco nexus etc. 

I checked it supports only SFP+ modules, which means that I am searching new module. Thanks for the advice 🙂.

Recently I got a server (Quanta QSSC- 2ML) with integrated sfp slot. But the motherboard doesn't recognize the SFP, for reference it is a 1310nm 1.25Gb SC. What could the problem be? 

24 minutes ago, NetWorker said:

Recently I got a server (Quanta QSSC- 2ML) with integrated sfp slot. But the motherboard doesn't recognize the SFP, for reference it is a 1310nm 1.25Gb SC. What could the problem be? 

Eprom set to something obscure? 

why 1.25Gb?.. shouldn't it be 1000Mbit? or 1Gb

looked it up.. quanta server has SFP+?   does it support 1000Base at all?  it should but would be a waste.

try a 10GBASE SFP+  

14 minutes ago, NetWorker said:

@RobchilIt should not be a problem to use normal SFP instead of SFP+, should it?

yeah... "should not"... check if that card takes 1000Base at all. dig in the documentation. 

it's probably ment for datacenters using twinax to redundant 10Gb switches. like cisco nexus etc. 

1 hour ago, Robchil said:

I checked it supports only SFP+ modules, which means that I am searching new module. Thanks for the advice 🙂.

4 hours ago, Robchil said:

Eprom set to something obscure? 

why 1.25Gb?.. shouldn't it be 1000Mbit? or 1Gb

looked it up.. quanta server has SFP+?   does it support 1000Base at all?  it should but would be a waste.

try a 10GBASE SFP+  

1.25Gbit is the phy rate just FYI, it's always higher than the actual data rate

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 hours ago, Lurick said:

1.25Gbit is the phy rate just FYI, it's always higher than the actual data rate

hm.. i've been handling sfp's for the last 20 years.. i know SAN works with wonky speeds. probably utilizing full speed of the sfp's.  but never thought about it.. 1000base was never more. 

12 minutes ago, Robchil said:

hm.. i've been handling sfp's for the last 20 years.. i know SAN works with wonky speeds. probably utilizing full speed of the sfp's.  but never thought about it.. 1000base was never more. 

Yah it's just the PHY rate though to account for overhead, the actual data rate is gigabit, similar to how SERDES works

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

20 minutes ago, Robchil said:

I can't seem to find the logic but it only applied to gigabit or something due to encoding and whatnot but I'm struggling to find the actual reason why gigabit is sometimes called 1.25G gigabit because as you go 10g and up it doesn't have a second phy rate.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: