Case fans making annoying rattling/vibrating noise (be quiet! Pure Base 500DX)

punkmaster

I recently built a new PC and noticed that the case fans are making an annoying rattling/vibrating noise. I have tried removing the fan from the case and running it on its own, and it makes barely any noise, so I think the issue is caused by the fan vibrating against the case. Tightening the screws doesn't seem to help and I can't find any spots in the fans or the case where pressing them would stop the noise. The same issue happens with all case fans and changing the fan speeds doesn't seem to make a difference.

Is this considered normal? Is there anything I can do to stop or at least reduce the noise, or is is something I just have to live with?

Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX
Fans: be quiet Pure Wings 2 140mm in front, back and top (i.e. the stock setup)

Make sure it's not vibrating anything else, such as a loose panel on the PC case some where (not likely but possible). I've found these noises can be things like hard drive trays, etc.

You may need to add something as a dampener. You'll notice many fans have a rubber mounting points between them and the case now to soak up some of these vibrations. Some even give you the option of using rubber mountings rather than screws. You can get rubber rashers from the hardware store, but many times these are pretty hard and thin. Personally what I use in most cases is the 3M double sided tape, and only peel one side. The foam helps soak up vibrations some, and for things like HD trays, it's usually enough to tighten things up so they don't vibrate. (That link was just an example, it's sold in many sizes and brands, that's just what I use)

Also examples of Noctua's "rubber" fan mounts, but they'll work on other brands too (and come in different colors if that was important):

Noctua NA-SAV 3

Noctua NA-SAV4

Thanks for the tip! I ordered some rubber mounts to see if they help, although I'm not expecting much, since the plastic frames of the fans are still touching the case and this seems to be enough to cause vibration (I tested this by unscrewing the fan and just slightly touching the case with it). It seems that some fans have whole frame made of rubber to reduce vibration, I guess I have to try that next.

Progress report: I cannibalized some rubber washers from my old case and put them between the fan and the frame. The vibration noise dropped immediately at least 50%, from fairly annoying to acceptable level. Once the rubber mounts arrive, I'll try with even thicker washers. The current ones are fairly thin since I had to cut them into half because the stock screws are fairly short.

The rubber mounts arrived and I can confirm that attaching fans with rubber mounts and washers has pretty much removed all the noise.