USB 3.0 Port Doesn't work or an HDD failure ?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

So if I read this post correctly, you're using a 2.5" HDD within a SATA-to-USB enclosure. Have you tried using another enclosure or another USB cable? If the HDD works fine, then you can't blame the HDD for these problems.

Both of them sound horrible, but the HDD problem sure is more sensitive 

Since this forum was helpful to me I decided to post another problem I had lately 

A while ago I purchased an HDD 2.5 inch SATA Enclosure W/USB 3.0
and I have put an old HDD I had in it to use as external storage but something weird began happening.

whenever I plug it in into the USB 3.0 port in my laptop it does certain things

1- Location is not available

image.png.a1f1ae3198f64d9be0bf2fc2e1d3873e.png

2- it access it but it doesn't transfer properly + Device is Unresponsive sometimes

-in the image below it started transferring but suddenly stopped and got stuck like this

image.png.c95aaba45b061065b6ef551710df2cf0.png

- in this second image it did transfer for a little while but stopped and showed an error code

image.png.84430b29a48aafcbd5427153eb8f2864.png

Note :: when I searched the code I found comments about HDD wear out , I'll talk about that later 

little note : yes this is my music taste lol

3- it access it and it does transfer properly

- sometimes it does that at 30+ MB/s Speeds

-there is a moment where it did transfer at a 200+ MB/s Speed which was almost instant so I couldn't screenshot it properly , I did try doing that again but it did reach 60+ MB/s in this image

image.png.fb0a09e5c7b800f34f747ac67f928025.png

It does all three things I mentioned above while getting unplugged and re plugged randomly while connected via the port while making the device unresponsive most of the time

I don't know if it is a problem within the HDD Enclosure or the port itself since It clearly does work if I plug my BT mouse dongle and other USB flash drives  (I only have 2.0 USBs which is why it is hard to draw a conclusion about the 3.0 issue)

Could it be because of my old HDD?
and if so why does it work fine on a 2.0 USB port (Edit: when I decided to try a 2.0 port it didn't transfer properly but it didn't unplug itself randomly it was more stable than the 3.0 port but I tried another 2.0 port and it transferred my data so I decided to copy all of it to my device's SSD as a backup)

if it is worn out I think it shouldn't work properly on both ports correct me if I'm wrong , I did check its health in crystaldiskinfo & tested it in crystaldiskmark and HD Tune before I bought the Enclosure in the first place , I re-checked it after I transferred my files and these are the results :

image.thumb.png.1894ac5f5ae5c58d33d10107fbda963c.png

image.thumb.png.054dda22ca23b10f4b5a97f0956a8800.png

image.png.44f18966b350df043b1c8104b7c96d45.png

image.png.9fdb08983d85e48c2ec9846187417ea3.png

I would like to know if there's a solution and if my HDD is indeed wearing out and isn't safe to store critical data then I would prefer knowing that and backing up my files elsewhere and/or buy a new one also if the 3.0 port has an issue i would like to fix that so I could transfer files at maximum speeds

Thank you for reading and I hope to receive some helpful information

• 5 weeks later...

So if I read this post correctly, you're using a 2.5" HDD within a SATA-to-USB enclosure. Have you tried using another enclosure or another USB cable? If the HDD works fine, then you can't blame the HDD for these problems.

On 4/8/2023 at 7:28 AM, reflext said:

Yes you did read it correctly

I had an extra SATA-to-USB cable laying around and tested the HDD on it and it had no problems in that part

it appears to be the Enclousre i bought was faulty and had issues with it

I also scanned the HDD and it didn't have any problems which was reassuring

I still continue to use the Enclousre to protectively store the HDD but when i use it i just pull it out and use the extra cable i got

since i don't use my HDD That frequently i don't mind it being this way

Also Thank u for replying

since nobody replied for a while i just tried what i mentioned earlier and i kinda figured it out by myself , but if there's any advice u can give me i would appreciate it

22 hours ago, Shawrmatrash said:

Yes you did read it correctly

I had an extra SATA-to-USB cable laying around and tested the HDD on it and it had no problems in that part

it appears to be the Enclousre i bought was faulty and had issues with it

I also scanned the HDD and it didn't have any problems which was reassuring

I still continue to use the Enclousre to protectively store the HDD but when i use it i just pull it out and use the extra cable i got

since i don't use my HDD That frequently i don't mind it being this way

Also Thank u for replying

since nobody replied for a while i just tried what i mentioned earlier and i kinda figured it out by myself , but if there's any advice u can give me i would appreciate it

Apologies, I don't have the greatest experience with external drives, but the only thing I can recommend is for you to try a new hard drive enclosure, since that could be the reason why you get variating data transfer speeds.