Cpu suddenly started overheating.

Go to solution Solved by Shooterdude34,
2 minutes ago, JustAnAverageJoe said:

Update: So now that I tried it with another cooler it was the aio that was the problem. I went to a guy to ask if it can be fixed and he tried. Everything was working but there was some white stuff that was blocking the liquid from flowing. It's now removed but it still doesn't cool the cpu. Any chance to fix it or do I need to buy a new one?

wow thats gross lol. i mean if you really want to try and fix it you could attempt to source a replacement pump, but i have no clue how you would change out the pumps and if it would still work. id recommend just replacing it, going to be a lot less hassle. 

So some details about the situation:

Cpu - ryzen 5 5600x (not overclocked)

AIO - Msi coreliquid 360R

I've had this pc since shortly after 30 series launched and have never had any problems until recently.

The pc has started to make a buzzing sound only when starting and the pc will shut down from overheating under very low loads.

Don't take my word for it, but it sounds like a pump failure. Go ahead and swap in the stock cooler to be sure it's not the chip. If that helps, pump failures on aios are fairly common and likely are what caused your issue.

Seems like a dead/failing AIO pump to me. If you put your ear up to the CPU block, can you hear the pump working/water flowing?

2 minutes ago, JimTheBeet said:

Don't take my word for it, but it sounds like a pump failure. Go ahead and swap in the stock cooler to be sure it's not the chip. If that helps, pump failures on aios are fairly common and likely are what caused your issue.

Currently I cannot try that but I'll do it as soon as possible and I'll update you on the situation. Thanks for the suggestion!

4 minutes ago, JustAnAverageJoe said:

Currently I cannot try that but I'll do it as soon as possible and I'll update you on the situation. Thanks for the suggestion!

I did it just now. There is a little bit of a sound but It does not sound like water flowing.It sounds more like something lightly scratching against something else.

1 minute ago, JustAnAverageJoe said:

I did it just now. There is a little bit of a sound but It does not sound like water flowing.It sounds more like something lightly scratching against something else.

sounds like a dead pump, so id suggest changing out that cooler for a air cooler for now (ideally the stock one till you get a different cooler of choice). 

How did you have your radiator mounted?

Just now, Shooterdude34 said:

sounds like a dead pump, so id suggest changing out that cooler for a air cooler for now (ideally the stock one till you get a different cooler of choice). 

How did you have your radiator mounted?

It's mounted on the top.

It's mounted on the top.

Interesting, i would have expected it to be an air bubble to have killed it. but yeah sounds like a dead pump either way

Just now, Shooterdude34 said:

Interesting, i would have expected it to be an air bubble to have killed it. but yeah sounds like a dead pump either way

I do not have anything I can replace it with but I'll get some cheap cooler and update you on the situation.

On 2/28/2023 at 9:03 PM, Shooterdude34 said:

Update: So now that I tried it with another cooler it was the aio that was the problem. I went to a guy to ask if it can be fixed and he tried. Everything was working but there was some white stuff that was blocking the liquid from flowing. It's now removed but it still doesn't cool the cpu. Any chance to fix it or do I need to buy a new one?

wow thats gross lol. i mean if you really want to try and fix it you could attempt to source a replacement pump, but i have no clue how you would change out the pumps and if it would still work. id recommend just replacing it, going to be a lot less hassle. 

4 minutes ago, Shooterdude34 said:

I second that and would actually recommend going for an Alphacool AIO as Alphacool uses off-the-shelf parts for their AIOs, meaning you could actually replace failing bits and pieces over the course of time. Also they are refillable which is a nice bonus.