Firewire & IEEE 1394 support on Dell XPS 15 9550

Hi All,

I'm trying to digitise my Dad's old Video8/Hi8 video tapes and am running into a few problems installing the Legacy IEEE 1394 drivers onto my Dell XPS 15 9550, running Windows 10 Home 22H2. I'm using a Sony DCR-TRV238E Digital8 camcorder with a Firewire DV port (Sony iLink), connected to my laptop, first via an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, then to an Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire 800 adapter, then finally with a RhinoCables Firewire 800 to Firewire DV (iLink) cable.

I have downloaded the Legacy driver and unpacked it, then installed the x64 driver from the .inf file. Unfortunately, whilst a dialog box appears claiming that "The process has been completed successfully", I cannot find any reference to the IEEE 1394 driver in Device Manager, nor will Adobe Premiere recognise the DV device when I open the Capture utility.

Could anyone offer any advice, what might I be doing wrong?

Many thanks!

CURRENT - Dell XPS 15 9550

DECEASED - CPU - Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz || Motherboard - MSI 7613 Ver. 1.0 || RAM - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1333MHz || Graphics card - MSI GT 220 || Storage - 1x240GB SanDisk SSD Plus (Windows 7 SP1), 1x 960GB SanDisk Ultra II (Premiere/After Effects Projects, 1x 640GB WD Caviar Blue (Data Drive), 2x 4TB Seagate External USB 3.0 HDD