No activity when power button pressed. New Build.

Cvdasfg

Hey Ya'll, I'm having some issues with my new build.

Here's the build: 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RYjvtn

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Video Card
Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-30 12:50 EST-0500

When hitting the power button it does nothing. No clicks or activity at all, no fans spin. I took everything apart and put it back together on the motherboard box itself, just having one stick of ram, the psu, cpu, and video card. Nothing happened still.

I did the paper clip trick to the PSU and the fans spun.

I tried a different power switch and still nothing happened. So I don't think it was a faulty case power button.

It looks like it all points to the motherboard or cpu. Unfortunately both are out of return policy (I took awhile to start the build). I don't have any spares that would fit the right sockets. Any suggestions on what to do?

I did see that technically the motherboard might not be the updated bios to work with the CPU. I don't know what that would look like as far as issues go. The motherboard doesn't seem to have a USB for flashing, or have any power so I don't think that's an option.

What options do I have?

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

2 minutes ago, Cvdasfg said:

Did you do this on the power supply itself?

Have you tried shorting the power pins on the motherboard to see if anything happens?

It is likely that you need to update the bios. I don't believe that motherboard supports any type of flashback or equivalent, so you need a compatible chip, either buy a cheap one, buy and return one, borrow from a friend.

I know amd does a cpu loan program, but I am not sure if intel does it.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

1 minute ago, Takumidesh said:

Did you do this on the power supply itself?

Have you tried shorting the power pins on the motherboard to see if anything happens?

It is likely that you need to update the bios. I don't believe that motherboard supports any type of flashback or equivalent, so you need a compatible chip, either buy a cheap one, buy and return one, borrow from a friend.

I know amd does a cpu loan program, but I am not sure if intel does it.

Yes Directly on the PSU with the 24 pin.

I've tried shorting the power pins on the motherboard, nothing occurs.

Would not having the right bios cause zero power / signs of life? I feel like it'd fail for sure, but at least show some light or error message. I could be very wrong.

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

Maybe? It depends on how the manufacturer handles it. Some manufacturers will let you get all the way into the bios, some won't do anything.

This might be better directed towards MSI support. They should be able to tell you for example, what BIOS version is on the board based on the serial number and what behavior you should expect from the board.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

27 minutes ago, Cvdasfg said:

Hey Ya'll, I'm having some issues with my new build.

Here's the build: 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RYjvtn

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Video Card
Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-30 12:50 EST-0500

When hitting the power button it does nothing. No clicks or activity at all, no fans spin. I took everything apart and put it back together on the motherboard box itself, just having one stick of ram, the psu, cpu, and video card. Nothing happened still.

I tried a different power switch and still nothing happened. So I don't think it was a faulty case power button.

It looks like it all points to the motherboard or cpu. Unfortunately both are out of return policy (I took awhile to start the build). I don't have any spares that would fit the right sockets. Any suggestions on what to do?

I did see that technically the motherboard might not be the updated bios to work with the CPU. I don't know what that would look like as far as issues go. The motherboard doesn't seem to have a USB for flashing, or have any power so I don't think that's an option.

What options do I have?

Did you make sure that all of the tiny case power headers are plugged into the right ports? Many cases have tiny 1-pin headers that power the power button and the light, these are very small and light so they can easily get loose. If you're using the power button on the motherboard, i'm not a MoBo technician.

3 minutes ago, SetSakara2 said:

Did you make sure that all of the tiny case power headers are plugged into the right ports? Many cases have tiny 1-pin headers that power the power button and the light, these are very small and light so they can easily get loose. If you're using the power button on the motherboard, i'm not a MoBo technician.

These were originally alll plugged in correctly. Now I'm using an external one I had, I'm sure they are in the right spot. I've also tried shorting it just incase somehow both were broken. No Luck ;/

27 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

Maybe? It depends on how the manufacturer handles it. Some manufacturers will let you get all the way into the bios, some won't do anything.

This might be better directed towards MSI support. They should be able to tell you for example, what BIOS version is on the board based on the serial number and what behavior you should expect from the board.

I did put in a request with MSI, I'm just hoping it doesn't end in a long RMA process 😕

EDIT: They were zero help, basically gave a did you try what I already tried, if so send in for RMA.