Newly built PC will boot but constantly crashes once GPU drivers are updated

Cryt
Go to solution Solved by aledsav1,

try disabling c state in bios..also then make sure ALL drivers are recent though try a previous gpu driver as well, not just what windows installed.

My first thoughts are faulty gpu or psu issue, but could be anything so its a trail and error path really.

Hey everyone,

I just followed LTT's video on how to build a PC and was so happy to have the build actually post. But when I tried to update the drivers on the GPU (GeForce Game ready drivers Driver Version: 528.24 - Release Date: Tue Jan 24, 2023), it constantly crashes as soon as the PC is on for longer than 60 seconds. No error messages, just turns off and restarts itself.

I had an older computer that I replaced the motherboard, CPU, and SSD. Full specs below.

Operating system: Windows 11 home edition

Specs (the PSU and case may not be the exact model, I couldn't find the exact model on those parts since I couldn't ID them)

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdhB3y

CPU: Intel Core i5-11600K 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.00 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z590 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL18 Memory 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI VENTUS GP GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card 
Case: Antec NSK4100 ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: Gigabyte P750GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 

BIOS version/date: American Megatrends International, LLC. F7, 2021-11-03

When I go to event viewer, there are a few error messages:

- Critical: Kernal power event ID 41

- Not sure what other messages might be important to see from this screen, please let me know if you need more information

As far as I'm aware, all the components are at stock, not overclocked.

Please let me know if you need any more information, any help is appreciated!!

4 minutes ago, Cryt said:

Hey everyone,

I just followed LTT's video on how to build a PC and was so happy to have the build actually post. But when I tried to update the drivers on the GPU (GeForce Game ready drivers Driver Version: 528.24 - Release Date: Tue Jan 24, 2023), it constantly crashes as soon as the PC is on for longer than 60 seconds. No error messages, just turns off and restarts itself.

I had an older computer that I replaced the motherboard, CPU, and SSD. Full specs below.

Specs (the PSU and case may not be the exact model, I couldn't find the exact model on those parts since I couldn't ID them)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z590 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Gigabyte P750GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 

- Not sure what other messages might be important to see from this screen, please let me know if you need more information

try this command in command prompt admin 

sfc /scannow 

if that works great if not

try reinstalling windows via the iso you can download from microsofts site for free

you can also install or reset the pc using that back up your data if it comes to that

and also if you have any other test build see if the gpu does that in a differen't pc

5 minutes ago, Cryt said:

Hey everyone,

and if not it could also be a weird powersupply issue or the gpu itself

try disabling c state in bios..also then make sure ALL drivers are recent though try a previous gpu driver as well, not just what windows installed.

My first thoughts are faulty gpu or psu issue, but could be anything so its a trail and error path really.

2 minutes ago, sarfraz said:

Is your Windows up to date?

Yes, Windows is up to date. It is a fresh install of Windows 11 using the official download from Microsoft

1 minute ago, Cryt said:

Yes, Windows is up to date. It is a fresh install of Windows 11 using the official download from Microsoft

When your PC turns off, do your motherboard debug LEDs turn on?

2 minutes ago, sarfraz said:

When your PC turns off, do your motherboard debug LEDs turn on?

No, no LEDs are on in the motherboard debug area

8 minutes ago, aledsav1 said:

I just disabled the c state in bios and the computer hasn't crashed for the last 3 minutes!!! Is there a way to check if the computer is all good? I have HWmonitor running and all the components are detected and seem to be running ok...

3 minutes ago, Cryt said:

I just disabled the c state in bios and the computer hasn't crashed for the last 3 minutes!!! Is there a way to check if the computer is all good? I have HWmonitor running and all the components are detected and seem to be running ok...

run a stress test like cinebench or furmark i'd try both