Do YouTube's new rules make any sense? - TalkLinked

Riley and James discuss a future where all of that personal data that's being collected anyway paves the way for a cuss-word-filled utopia.

In November 2022, YouTube released updates to their ad guidelines. Some of these guidelines strongly affect gaming YouTubers. The platform decided to give a very strange 8 second timeframe for no profane language, or "standard gameplay where gory injuries are present" Sorry, did I say 8 seconds? I meant 7. Some policies are vague, such as what constitutes as using profanity "consistently throughout the video".  Drug content is also grounds for restriction, including within gameplay.. However, dealing drugs or mentioning drugs in gaming content does not suffer those restrictions.  Another big change is now treating all profanity equally, where before certain language was more restricted than others (See update from April 2021 where they specifically refer to “moderate profanity”).

Many creators have spoken out against the changes, including:

Timeline of Daniel Condren of RTGame’s experience with YouTube’s new policy:

Rush’s take

These rules could cause issues especially with long play-type videos, where story and continuity is maintained and minimal editing is used, or episodic playthrough content where the following video begins “in media res”, right where the last video ends.  It could push more gaming YouTubers to increase the length of their videos, something that has already been occurring and (IMO) disincentivizing viewers (me) from committing to watch their content (e.g. Game Grumps going from 15 minute episodes to 40 minutes).   It may also motivate some creators to play games with foreknowledge of its story, which would detract from the original appeal of let’s plays, which was that they are simulacra of playing a game for the first time with your friend. This would also defeat the entire purpose of “blind play” content, where creators know nothing about the game and experience it without outside knowledge or assistance from chat or the comments.  

I got a Pulseway advertisement before this video... a calm Linus reading Pulseway's USPs.... then I'm greeted with Riley swearing. A rare role reversal. 

The whole situation is a mess, has been since 2016. Ever since they shot that gorilla

Ideally, all content should be treated equally. Content neutrality. So advertisers don't get a choice where and on what they put their ads on. They probably could not afford not to put ads on because a competitor probably will. If you know what I mean. Advertisers would shit bricks over it but they would have to accept it or lose out. But it would be a gamble for Google.

A compromise would be something like this. Advertisers who want their ads on family friendly stuff, have to pay more, because thats the sort of content they want their ads on. If they don't want to choose or don't really care about what their ads go on, they pay less. So if Disney advertising team is distraught at the fact their ad may appear on a video of some youtube gamer throwing a few swear words around, they can avoid it but it will cost more for them to do it. Google should like this idea because they can sting advertisers for more cash this way. There could be a third option where they can specify some content their ads would go on but not all or something.

Before 2016 youtube was doing well, there was hope for the future of content creation. As youtube/Google has gotten bigger, it has forgotten where it started. Punishing those who helped make it great.