First ever PC Build

Mike5688

Budget (including currency): $2500 - $3200

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly used for Games, Video Recording and Editing. Will be using different design softwares as well. Some office work but it wont be heavy.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I have OS, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse and Headset. Here is the list i picked: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pxb4Tn

CPU - [Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard - [Asus PRIME Z790-A WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory - G.Skill Trident Z5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory
Storage - Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card - NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card
Case - Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply - Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

This is my first ever PC Build. I have used the laptop for everything till now and I am planning to move to PC and hence this PC build. I have picked the parts based on watching YT videos or going through this forum. Not such a big fan of RGB so if you see anything with RGB and there is a better choice without RGB, please let me know. I haven't bought anything from the list yet so I can update the list and buy them once i have the finalized list. I am not sure about the CPU Cooler and Case i picked. So, what do you guys think? Is this build good or anything needs to be changed?

Appreciate all your comments, feedbacks, tips and suggestions. 

Thanks!

Wow amazing first build plans my guy!

Something to definitely consider though: you need case fans. Either add some to the build (plenty if you're going 4080 and an oc 13700k), and/or switch out the case. I just built in the o11-d evo's little sibling and I love it to bits but if you're not sure, or want some fans pre-installed (at this price not so relevant) then consider something else. Personal taste for the most part.

Cooler should be good! If you don't care about looks at all I can't not recommend noctua until you step up to a 280 or 360 aio.

If you're gaming and doing content creation, 2TBs will only get you so far. I would start planning, even if you don't want to buy now, how that will be increased. I find over time my main drive gets bloated so I, for my build I just made, have started with 2 drives and don't put games or steam etc anywhere near my boot drive.

Good luck!

On 1/19/2023 at 4:50 PM, Mike5688 said:

Budget (including currency): $2500 - $3200

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly used for Games, Video Recording and Editing. Will be using different design softwares as well. Some office work but it wont be heavy.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I have OS, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse and Headset. Here is the list i picked: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pxb4Tn

CPU - [Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard - [Asus PRIME Z790-A WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory - G.Skill Trident Z5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory
Storage - Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card - NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card
Case - Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply - Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

This is my first ever PC Build. I have used the laptop for everything till now and I am planning to move to PC and hence this PC build. I have picked the parts based on watching YT videos or going through this forum. Not such a big fan of RGB so if you see anything with RGB and there is a better choice without RGB, please let me know. I haven't bought anything from the list yet so I can update the list and buy them once i have the finalized list. I am not sure about the CPU Cooler and Case i picked. So, what do you guys think? Is this build good or anything needs to be changed?

Appreciate all your comments, feedbacks, tips and suggestions. 

Thanks!

Hello, I took a look at your build and it wasn't bad... I did change some things like the Motherboard, GPU, and PSU. It should give you major head room if you ever want to upgrade in the future and with the GPU choice I made for the price you can't go wrong it should do 4k @ 120fps for a fraction of what you picked at first. Let me know what you think, I also have 20 yrs experience building PCs.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/myBThk

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($421.94 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($319.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory  ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston NV2 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Kingston NV2 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card  ($799.99 @ ASUS)
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO ATX Mid Tower Case  ($178.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($169.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $2400.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

6 hours ago, PC MD Doctors said:

Hello, I took a look at your build and it wasn't bad... I did change some things like the Motherboard, GPU, and PSU. It should give you major head room if you ever want to upgrade in the future and with the GPU choice I made for the price you can't go wrong it should do 4k @ 120fps for a fraction of what you picked at first. Let me know what you think, I also have 20 yrs experience building PCs.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/myBThk

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($421.94 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($319.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory  ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card  ($799.99 @ ASUS)
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO ATX Mid Tower Case  ($178.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($169.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $2400.77

Thank you for making the modifications. I was debating between 4070 Ti and 4080 before and I think i am thinking to go by your recommendation. 

Quick question: Under compatibility notes, it says "The be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard". What does that mean and do i need to buy some adapter? Is there any other alternative for this CPU cooler? Also, can you suggest some case fans? Appreciate your help! 

17 hours ago, Mike5688 said:

Thank you for making the modifications. I was debating between 4070 Ti and 4080 before and I think i am thinking to go by your recommendation. 

Quick question: Under compatibility notes, it says "The be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard". What does that mean and do i need to buy some adapter? Is there any other alternative for this CPU cooler? Also, can you suggest some case fans? Appreciate your help! 

Most Manufacturers have begun replacing old stock to incorporate the new Socket types for Intel LGA 1700 & AMD AM5. It's possible that if you bought one that it might not include the newer brackets but the chances are really slim but sure, I can recommend an alternative. Also how attached are you to that case? I can also recommend a different one that is just as good and does have lots of fans inside already but I will send choices for a new Cooler, Case, and Case fans so that you have all the options. One small problem though, 80% of cases today that come with fans are RGB, but your in luck... All the RGB can be turned off with the Manufacturers software, so even though the have LED lights, they just won't light up but will still spin.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nRKNmr w/ Different Cooler

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/34NB3y w/ Different Case & Case Fans non RGB

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 4.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($419.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($160.12 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($402.13 @ MemoryC) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($289.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card  ($1199.99 @ ASUS) 
Case: HYTE Y40 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.99 @ Adorama) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME PX 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($305.36 @ Amazon) 
Total: $3127.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-23 10:32 EST-0500

To be an expert is to know more about less.

• 2014 Build --> FX 8350 4.7GHz {} ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer {} Reference GTX 980 4GB {} 2x4GB 1866MHz HyperX {} Seagate 2TB 7200rpm {} 840 EVO 120GB {} XFX PRO850W {} Noctua NH D14 {} Fractal Define R4 White Windowed
  • 2018 Build --> Ryzen 7 2700X {} ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 {} Gigabyte RTX 2070 8GB {} 2x8GB HX Fury 3200MHz {} Toshiba P300 2TB {} Kingston 480GB A1000 {} Corsair RM750W {} Enermax LIQMAX II 240 {} Fractal Focus G
  • 2021 Build --> Ryzen 9 5900X {} ASUS ROG Strix X570-F GAMING {} ASUS GeForce RTX 3080Ti ROG STRIX OC {} Gigabyte AORUS RGB DDR4 32GB {} Kingston KC2500 M.2 2280 NVMe 2TB {} Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000 {} ASUS ROG Ryujin 240 AIO {} NYXT H710i
  • Laptop --> ASUS ROG STRIX G713RS {} Ryzen 9 6900HX {} 32GB DDR5 {} RTX 3080 {} 1TB NVMe {} Win 11 Home

5 hours ago, PC MD Doctors said:

Most Manufacturers have begun replacing old stock to incorporate the new Socket types for Intel LGA 1700 & AMD AM5. It's possible that if you bought one that it might not include the newer brackets but the chances are really slim but sure, I can recommend an alternative. Also how attached are you to that case? I can also recommend a different one that is just as good and does have lots of fans inside already but I will send choices for a new Cooler, Case, and Case fans so that you have all the options. One small problem though, 80% of cases today that come with fans are RGB, but your in luck... All the RGB can be turned off with the Manufacturers software, so even though the have LED lights, they just won't light up but will still spin.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nRKNmr w/ Different Cooler

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/34NB3y w/ Different Case & Case Fans non RGB

Thank you so much for the modifications. I just picked that case randomly and will be ok to go with your recommendation. I Ordered CPU, RAM and PSU yesterday and will buy rest of them sometime next week. I will update you once i complete my build. Thanks again for your help to finalize the parts.

52 minutes ago, Mike5688 said:

Thank you so much for the modifications. I just picked that case randomly and will be ok to go with your recommendation. I Ordered CPU, RAM and PSU yesterday and will buy rest of them sometime next week. I will update you once i complete my build. Thanks again for your help to finalize the parts.

I wish you the best of luck and I'm here if you need me.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I completed my build finally. I am not sure if you can help me with this issue or not but just want to ask you. PC looks good and working perfect as expected except for the WiFi internet speeds.

I have Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6e AX211 160mhz card which came preinstalled with Tomahawk z790 and it is giving me very low internet speed. I did speed test and the results are like 30 Mbps download and 50Mbps upload. I did the same test in my other laptop and on my phone with results around 250-300mbps download and upload speeds. I have been trying a lot of different solutions by reinstalling the drivers, resetting the network, troubleshooting, setting autotuning level to normal, removed windows 11 and installed windows 10, etc, etc from last 2 days but nothing seems to work. I placed an order for wifi adapter and will be receiving it today but just want to check with you if you encounter this type of issue before.

If using WiFi 6 make sure ur connected to the 5ghz WiFi and make sure ur router has AX WiFi 6.   

Also did ur motherboard come with any antennas? 

Also it’s a pci e card?  Is it in an 4.0 x4 slot ? 

CPU:                       Motherboard:                Graphics:                                 Ram:                            Screen:

i9-13900KS   Asus z790 HERO      ASUS TUF 4090 OC    GSkill 7600 DDR5       ASUS 48" OLED 138hz

Sorry for the late reply. Yea, Antennas were placed at its spot and I am not sure if its a pcie card or not. I reset my PC after trying everything and now i am getting speeds between 200-300Mbps upload and download. Everything is good for now but it is not stable. like for e.g., I was playing valorant and i have around 1000 packet loss after 1 game. I pinged 1.1.1.1 and i am getting one timed out every minute or so. I have no issues like this in my laptop so not sure what is causing this.