NVIDIA Tesla M6 MXM flashed to GTX 980M???

Northman_Roams

Hello all,

I've managed to get an NVIDIA Tesla M6 8GB GDDR5 Maxwell 2.0 MXM 3.1 graphics card working in my Dell M6800 workstation laptop with modded drivers.

Temps are fine, around 72 degrees under full load but I've had a few problems loading games in Steam.

Has anyone else had success flashing a Dell GTX 980M vBIOS on to a Tesla M6?

They seem to be identical cards except the clocks are higher on the GTX 980M.

Asking because I don't want to piss about flashing the Tesla to have to then flash it back again.

Yes, I am lazy bastard.

Tesla M6.gif

If I'm not mistaken, Tesla cards use ECC memory, not sure if that would cause an issue for a 980 BIOS 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

If I'm not mistaken, Tesla cards use ECC memory, not sure if that would cause an issue for a 980 BIOS 

Thanks for the heads up! I've finally managed to find a document for the Tesla M6.

Tesla M6 can function in two modes: 

Compute: Compute mode has large memory BAR and ECC enabled, making it suitable for single precision compute applications. ECC protects the DRAM content by fixing any single-bit errors and detecting double-bit errors. 

Graphics: By using the gpumodeswitch utility, Tesla M6 can be switched to graphics mode. This mode allows it to be compatible with the NVIDIA GRID™ software to use in virtualized graphics environments.

Its just Steam games I'm having issues with at the moment. Everything else is on the money and I'm getting decent performance. 60FPS on triple A games at 1080p Medium settings.

Card is around the RX 470 desktop version so not too shabby and I've manage to mod the latest Nvidia drivers to work as well.

39 minutes ago, Northman_Roams said:

Its just Steam games I'm having issues with at the moment. Everything else is on the money and I'm getting decent performance.

If steam games are causing problems, does big picture mode also have issues? Sometimes if I'm having steam-related bugbears, I'll switch to big picture mode and it'll inexplicably solve it

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

• 7 months later...

Necro'ing the post, but as it was a extremely rare occurence - I thought it worth loggin in to post. I've had my tesla m6 card flashed to custom 980gtx drivers for a while. I bounce back and forth with it, but it's been great (literally just stopped playing the new remnant 2 on it, can run that on meduim or such @ 50-60fps stable, as just an example. One trick, is I don't bother with the M model (laptop), if you do a bit of digging on the driver site - there were 2 versions of the 980gtx drivers, and grabbing the non M one for laptops vs. the M one, will improve performance a bit. These cards are fantastic, even aged - almost never overheating and having a low gpu power draw (100 watts) vs. the output. I highly suggest you give it a go.

Regarding compute/graphics mode, optimus is key here to bridge the selection switch, but works just fine and is easily switchable on the 980gtx drivers. It's not a issue. You'll only bog from the time on the pc having issues swapping to the correct gpu on applications/games - easily fixable by selecting a program in the control panel and setting the launch gpu with it (profiling).