New PC build cpu running very hot

Go to solution Solved by Ojun888,

Well I have a update for those who are still interested. Good news is I got the cooler working, bad news is that its a piece of shit. So turns out the issue with the it not starting has nothing to do with the cooler or any mistakes on my end, it just turns out that the firmware for the cooler is actually spaghetti code. What was happening was that it was (and still is) stuck in a loop of thinking that there is an error with the pump/cooler when there is not. This means it puts the fans into maximum overdrive for some reason and begins to flash red. I don't know why but after some plugging and unplugging while on the cooler started to work, however the firmware error still seems to be present meaning that it flashes red and puts the fans into maximum overdrive. It also strips me of control over everything meaning I can't force an update, change the fan speeds or really anything. So although my cpu now does not sit at 60-70 celsius idle since the pump works, my pc sounds like an airplane lifting off. I'm gonna submit a ticket to corsair and see what they'll do but that was the issue. Thanks everybody for the help and support and if there is anything to take away don't buy this cooler.

Hello folks, I need some assistance in how to solve a temperature issue I'm having with my cpu. I recently just finished a build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ojun888/saved/#view=LyX9CJ. I don't know why but the cpu is running at 70ish celsius while just being idle and while I was downloading windows and drivers and what not it was over 90 celsius. I know that this is not normal so after some quick googling I was told that I should check the pump, make sure its working and of course make sure it is properly on the cpu. the pump is indeed working, and after some touching I can confirm that one of the pump things is hot and the other not hot. I also made sure to unscrew the cooler block re-apply thermal paste and then screw it back on making sure the screws were tight and it was on the cpu. Even still the cpu was running hot and I could not find any solutions past the ones I've listed above. Any ideas and input would be greatly appreciated I'm still a bit of a pc newbie and if you need pictures of stuff feel free to let me know and I will do my best to provide them.

Whilst that is a pretty beefy CPU in terms of heat output, that cooler definitely should be coping much better.

I can confirm that one of the pump things is hot and the other not hot

When you say 'the other not hot', do you mean the actual radiator? (The large component with three fans on). If this is not getting hot at all, even after a while - it would still point to an issue with the pump, if the pump itself is getting hot. How did you verify that the pump is working?

If the pump is only getting slightly warm, then it could point to mounting pressure on the CPU. In this case, it may be worth double checking the mounting instructions for the cooler to ensure the correct mounting hardware has been installed.

{
    "PC": [
        {
            "Part": "CPU",
            "Spec": "i7-2600k @ 4.4GHz"
        },
        {
            "Part": "RAM",
            "Spec": "32GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro CL9 9-9-9-24"
        },
        {
            "Part": "GPU",
            "Spec": "inno3d 980Ti"
        },
        {
            "Part": "Motherboard",
            "Spec": "Asus P8Z68-v Pro"
        },
        {
            "Part": "Storage",
            "Spec": "1x 500GB 860 EVO, 2x MX500"
        },
        {
            "Part": "PSU",
            "Spec": "Corsair GS800"
        }
    ]
}

Can you send some pics of your build?

What is getting hot? The pump unit is mounted direct onto the CPU. This is getting hot in operation.

The radiator should also get warm when the system is running. From the CPU/pump unit there are two tubes that are connected to the radiator. The radiator should get worm/hot on one of this tube connections when water is circulating thru. You should feel the heat getting to the radiator after some time. If only the pump unit is getting hot then the pump is not working.

With the iCUE software you should see if your pump is running.

image.thumb.png.b6123f15c425c59d45ef54f5d14669d3.png

Just to cover all of the bases, did you remove the sticker from the copper block before you mounted it on the CPU (see picture for what I mean).CA5FADDC-BA37-444B-8BC3-5150E7BE08CF.jpeg.2a3ad578d7a36019bcb67ec1085fcc07.jpeg

8 minutes ago, RiffTheRaff said:

Can you send some pics of your build?

What is getting hot? The pump unit is mounted direct onto the CPU. This is getting hot in operation.

The radiator should also get warm when the system is running. From the CPU/pump unit there are two tubes that are connected to the radiator. The radiator should get worm/hot on one of this tube connections when water is circulating thru. You should feel the heat getting to the radiator after some time. If only the pump unit is getting hot then the pump is not working.

With the iCUE software you should see if your pump is running.

image.thumb.png.b6123f15c425c59d45ef54f5d14669d3.png

I downloaded the ICUE software and it says that it does not detect a device, so I think this might be the issue. What do I need to do in order to get it detected?

21 minutes ago, Remarkable_Day said:

When you say 'the other not hot', do you mean the actual radiator?

Maybe he means the supply and return lines from the block to the radiator.

As an update it appears to be a cooler issue, after downloading the ICUE software it says "Unknown device please contact support". Does this mean that the pump is not plugged in properly or that the pump is fault in some way?

5 minutes ago, Ojun888 said:

I downloaded the ICUE software and it says that it does not detect a device, so I think this might be the issue. What do I need to do in order to get it detected?

Do you have the 9 pin usb cable pugged into a usb header on the motherboard? Is the SATA power cable connected to the PSU?

2 minutes ago, Harmsway1283 said:

Do you have the 9 pin usb cable pugged into a usb header on the motherboard? Is the SATA power cable connected to the PSU?

Yes however I can re-check, if needed.

I have an Asus Ryujin II aio. It needed a lot of setting up like this corsair cooler. Try unplugging and re-plugging in the usb cable. If it doesn’t detect after that, try resetting the pc.

Send some pics of how you have connected the pump unit with the controller and the controller with the motherboard.

The controller should have two connectors. One for the USB header and one for power supply (SATA).

The fans of the radiator and the pump are connected to the controller.

the first picture is of the ICUE prompt error I get, the 2nd is the Sata cable plug, 3rd is the 9pin usb plug and 4th is the core with the pump block connected, and the 5th is the tiny cable from the pump block which I have in cpu_pump1 of my motherboard.

IMG_5520.jpeg

IMG_5522.jpeg

IMG_5523.jpeg

IMG_5524.jpeg

IMG_5527.jpeg

30 minutes ago, RiffTheRaff said:

Send some pics of how you have connected the pump unit with the controller and the controller with the motherboard.

The controller should have two connectors. One for the USB header and one for power supply (SATA).

The fans of the radiator and the pump are connected to the controller.

also I should mention that the fans all work and turn on when I turn on the pc it just seems that the pump doesn't

7 minutes ago, Harmsway1283 said:

There should be a pump tachometer cable that needs to be attached to the CPU fan header.

oh ok I have it in the "pump fan header"

Looks good as far as I can see. So please check the connector from the pump unit to the controller if all pins are good and if it has a good connection.

Does the fans show up in the iCUE software?

Can you open the device manager (WIN+X => device manager) and check if any device is marked with a yellow exclamation point.

If all this does not show any obvious error return it and get a new one.

4 minutes ago, RiffTheRaff said:

If all this does not show any obvious error return it and get a new one.

I agree with Riffraff here. If the tach meter in the cpu fan header doesn’t do anything, I’m leaning toward a power delivery problem in the pump.

Well I have a update for those who are still interested. Good news is I got the cooler working, bad news is that its a piece of shit. So turns out the issue with the it not starting has nothing to do with the cooler or any mistakes on my end, it just turns out that the firmware for the cooler is actually spaghetti code. What was happening was that it was (and still is) stuck in a loop of thinking that there is an error with the pump/cooler when there is not. This means it puts the fans into maximum overdrive for some reason and begins to flash red. I don't know why but after some plugging and unplugging while on the cooler started to work, however the firmware error still seems to be present meaning that it flashes red and puts the fans into maximum overdrive. It also strips me of control over everything meaning I can't force an update, change the fan speeds or really anything. So although my cpu now does not sit at 60-70 celsius idle since the pump works, my pc sounds like an airplane lifting off. I'm gonna submit a ticket to corsair and see what they'll do but that was the issue. Thanks everybody for the help and support and if there is anything to take away don't buy this cooler.