DJI Osmo Action 3

Sarra

I've got a GoPro Hero 7 Silver.

It's a piece of crap.

Seriously. I've hated this thing since I got it. The 7 Black was sold out, and the 8 wasn't out yet. I got a mount for my windshield, and I got a mount adapter for a tripod (I have a very, very nice tripod). But almost everything I ever want to do with it ends up not working out.

So, I'm seriously considering an Action 3. The horizon leveling and stabilization is very appealing. But, most importantly, I am hopeful that it will have the capacity to get some timelapse videos, as well as survive my offroad adventues, without overheating. Overheating has ruined more than just a few of my GoPro videos, some times it overheats on a cold day, with the AC blowing on it, but it just can't handle crap.

Will a Action 3 bolt up to a GoPro windshield mount? The tripod mount isn't as important, but I would really like to use it, as well.

Is there a timelapse mode for the Action 3? I would like to catch some thunderstorms forming and blowing through, though... There's the lead in to my next question.

The ONLY saving grace my GoPro had was that I could use an external power source. Can I run a battery bank or similar, and get several hours of continous recording in? Will the Action 3 also allow this, or am I limited to the battery? I know the batteries are swappable, but really... I'd rather run external power for longer reliability.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

The newer GoPros aren't even comparable to the Hero 7 Silver. If I was getting a new action cam I would be looking to get another GoPro simply because the new GoPros do everything that the Action 3 does and more.

I am not an expert! I have had experience building computers but in no way am I Linus! Please correct me if I am wrong, I would love to here your feedback!

Have a good day!

32 minutes ago, Quader199 said:

The newer GoPros aren't even comparable to the Hero 7 Silver. If I was getting a new action cam I would be looking to get another GoPro simply because the new GoPros do everything that the Action 3 does and more.

Yes, however, I NEED a camera that won't overheat.

I have attempted to run my camera when it's 112F out, while in direct sunlight, and it will overheat in an hour or less.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

21 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Yes, however, I NEED a camera that won't overheat.

I have attempted to run my camera when it's 112F out, while in direct sunlight, and it will overheat in an hour or less.

If you are prioritizing a camera that will do well in high temperatures, the Action 3 is definitely the camera to go for.

This video is proof of that 

As for the mounts, they do have share the same mounting style as the GoPro mounts. It also has a time-lapse mode. From what I have heard you can run an external power source through the camera similar to the GoPros. Regardless, if you are looking for a camera that can stand the heat, the action 3 is the better option vs. the GoPro 11.

I am not an expert! I have had experience building computers but in no way am I Linus! Please correct me if I am wrong, I would love to here your feedback!

Have a good day!