Slackware 15.0 32bit

Does anyone have experience with Slackware?

I have an old PC I am try to install the 32 bit version of Slackware onto, unfortunately this PC will not boot from USB so I attempted to boot from another HDD and when I get to setup and it wants me to select the source media I naturally choose that HDD, then it ask me for a source directory and I have no idea what to put as it is not explained anywhere and nothing I try works.

EDIT #1: I just tried source from ftp/http server and it doesn't work either.

EDIT #2: Looks like I may have found my way to a fix, apparently whilst I may not be able to boot from USB I can still use it as a source drive.  Despite the fact the files written to it are exactly the same as the files on the boot HDD this apparently works, as to why I cannot go from the same HDD I have NFI... 😕

EDIT #3: Well the hist just keep on coming, I cannot startx on KDE and XFCE crashes...

Best and easiest step-by-step guide available here

It goes from downloading to complete setup.

https://linuxiac.com/install-slackware-linux/

What their asking for is what directory on the drive is Slackware located

i.e. DRIVE NAME: NAME OF DIRECTORY CONTAINING SLACKWARE

The HDD itself was called SlackwareDVD with an address of /dev/sdb1 and the directory for slackware was slackware, so I put /slackware and also just tried slackware by itself, also tried /dev/sdb1/slackware and /SlackwareDVD/slackware

I also tried other directories like isolinux and usb-and-pxe-installers to no avail.

I've look at many tutorials and most are for the 64bit version of slack which has a different installation method. 

I got slackware installed, but cannot get it to work with a gui. I can login as root or a user, but startx has problems... KDE doesn't work at all and xfce works for awhile until the system locks up.

Currently I have a very low opinion of Slackware

What I really need is a video showing what to do because I am having trouble understanding a wall of text

EDIT: Well I just tried another fresh install and still cannot get startx to run properly or at all on KDE, XFCE, FLUXBOX, etc... I've just about gone through all the options

Slackware used to be a really good distro, but I don't know if it's still as good as it used to be.

However, it doesn't seem to me that you're the type of target user for Slackware. Slackware is often considered to be most suitable for advanced and technically inclined Linux users.

I think you might find more success with an operating system like NomadBSD or MidnightBSD. They have support for 32 bit systems.

OS: FreeBSD 13.3  WM: bspwm  Hardware: Intel 12600KF -- Kingston dual-channel CL36 @6200 -- Sapphire RX 7600 -- BIOSTAR B760MZ-E PRO -- Antec P6 -- Xilence XP550 -- ARCTIC i35 -- 980 PRO 500GB

Well I am done with version 15 of it, I tried to get it to run on a much newer machine and it doesn't work.  I may try a different version someday. 

Thx for the suggestions, I'll look into them.

• 7 months later...

I can start KDE with startx if I boot from DVD with (Slackware 15.0 i386):

hugesmp.s root=/dev/sda3 initrd= ro

Boot from Grub doesn't function because of kwin_x11 and ksplashqml issue.

EDIT: I have removed xf86-video-nouveau and I can now start KDE with startx if I boot from HD.