My first Gaming PC build

Go to solution Solved by Hud3,
2 hours ago, venomtail said:

That is subjetive and simply state that you want an AIO for how it looks, because if you try and make up justification like performance you'll really ruffle some feathers.

Yes, thats what I said, i'm not looking for best performance and yeah, youre right, some air coolers can be better and cheaper than the AIO that I chose, but I am also trying to get a good looking pc, and air coolers for me dont look good.

Then I recommend coming back when you have the money. PC parts fluctuate in price and availability on a weekly basis let alone a few months. In 2023 whole new GPU's will be released as well.

I know that planing this computer right now is not a very good idea but my objective is to change parts while new ones come out and learn throught the process. I also like doing this so even if I was not intending on buying a pc I would still be planing one.

Fastest in what...? Burst? Sustain? Paralel? Writes? Reads? Reliability? Unless you've moving around 10 warzones every hour then I don't see a reason why you should go for the top of the line.

I ment fastest in writes and reads but, as I said, I am still learning about this and right now I'm searching a good nvme for my build, maybe i'll go with gen 3, maybe i'll search a cheaper gen 4, I am working on that. I just realized that I was going with medium-high tier on every computer part but choose a top of the line nvme.

That's the thing. AMD is different. Their whole shtick is that their motherboards will be compatible till several generation on. Current projection is that in 2028 there will still be a brand new CPU release that will still be usable on a first generation Zen5 motherboard that came out this year, in 2022. That's why I went with Ryzen last time. I built my PC in 2018 with an X470 motherboard, so now 4 years later I will upgrade to a brand new CPU the 5800X3D. Glad I went with AMD cause in the meantime Intel went throught like 3 new sockets.

(I spent 30min writing a reply to this and then realized) The way i think about it makes me have to change the motherboard no matter if i choose intel or amd, so maybe having the posibility to just change the cpu if I choose AMD is a good option. My theory is that when I get to the point were I want to change my CPU I will want a better motherboard that has the newer features, but my opinion could change in 2 or 3 years and maybe I realize that I don't need those newer features and, if I need them, then I can change cpu and mobo, but with intel I'll be forced to change both no matter what, so I think I will go with AMD.

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot that th 13700k crushes the 7700x and performes almost as a 7900x, which costs 100€ more, in any multicore aspect.

Another thing: for the gpu I am also thinking of waiting for the 4070 and 4060 to come out as well as the radeon 7000 series.

[I I haven't written this much in English in a long time so sorry if I made any mistakes]

Budget (including currency): 3000€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Playing any game, editing and maybe streaming.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I am currently saving money to buy this computer so there will be many changes until I finally get it. Note that prices in Spain tend to be much higher than in other countries. I will first buy the computer and use it with a 1080p 165Hz monitor I have until I get enough money to buy a better monitor. This is my first time building a PC since the one I have now is a gaming laptop I bought 3 years ago with a i7-8750H and a 1050 ti so this will be a masive upgrade.
If you are interested in what pages I will be buying the components from I've made a fully automated Google Sheet that extracts the prices from different pages and shows you the best one.
Google Sheet

At 1900?  That's a very solid build already, there's not much reason to go higher.

If you wanted to add more shiny?  Lian Li Strimer cable extensions can add shiny lights to your MOBO / GPU Cables.

5 minutes ago, tkitch said:

At 1900?  That's a very solid build already, there's not much reason to go higher.

If you wanted to add more shiny?  Lian Li Strimer cable extensions can add shiny lights to your MOBO / GPU Cables.

Actually if you look at the graphics card and the motherboard they don't have any prices, it would actually cost 3000€. And I alredy added the Lian Li Strimer Cables.

One thing I would say, the SSD is overpriced.  Expensive SSDs don't add much.

I'd also do a 512GB - 1TB for Windows, and then a separate 2TB for games and such.

2 minutes ago, tkitch said:

One thing I would say, the SSD is overpriced.  Expensive SSDs don't add much.

I'd also do a 512GB - 1TB for Windows, and then a separate 2TB for games and such.

So a 1tb m.2 and a 2tb sata right?

200euro for an AIO is a ripoff. Many 80euro air coolers will do a same if not better job of cooling your CPU.

300euro for a 2TB SSD is an evil scam. Flagship models cost no more than 200eur.

NZXT motherboard isn't talked about so I assume it's nothing impressive.

Heard bad things about the NZXT monitor.

You could save money by going Z690 board with DDR4 memory. As far as I know the performance loss is minimal with big savings.

Why not look at the new AM5 generation of Ryzen CPU's? Not the best "bang for buck" right now but at least it's not an end of the line generation. Buy a 7000 series Ryzen now and still have a way to upgrade in a few years. 13th gen Intel, not so much.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

8 minutes ago, venomtail said:

200euro for an AIO is a ripoff. Many 80euro air coolers will do a same if not better job of cooling your CPU.

300euro for a 2TB SSD is an evil scam. Flagship models cost no more than 200eur.

NZXT motherboard isn't talked about so I assume it's nothing impressive.

Heard bad things about the NZXT monitor.

You could save money by going Z690 board with DDR4 memory. As far as I know the performance loss is minimal with big savings.

Why not look at the new AM5 generation of Ryzen CPU's? Not the best "bang for buck" right now but at least it's not an end of the line generation. Buy a 7000 series Ryzen now and still have a way to upgrade in a few years. 13th gen Intel, not so much.

Don't look at the prices on PCPartPicker, I found that AIO for €150, and I think that, even if some air coolers get close to an AIO performance, they look very bad on a nice looking PC. For an AIO €150 is pretty good and, as I said, I am searching an "Infinity" themed build. The NZXT motherboard hasn't even come out, and I will probably search a better monitor.

I intend on buying this PC in 2023 when I got the money, so hopefully the DDR5 situation gets a little better.

I am now investigation on performance variations between different m.2 speeds since the one I picked is one of the fastest ones out there and that's why it is so expensive.

Furthermore, I like the NZXT motherboard mostly because of its design, but we don't really know anything about it because they haven't launched it yet. I am making research on that too.

As for the CPU, even if I went with am5, to upgrade my computer in the future I'll still need to change the motherboard, not because of socket compatibility, but because as CPUs get better, motherboards need to upgrade too, same situation right now with z690 and z790 motherboards, it doesn't matter which one you pick, they are both compatible with intel 12th and 13th gen, but z790 brings newer features as compatibility with future 5.0 m.2 or better optimization with ddr5 memory.

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

Or even a pair of M.2s, most boards have 2 slots (or more) today

Yeah got it, I just didn't understand if you ment that m.2 in general we're expensive or if that m.2 in particular was not worth it.

3 minutes ago, Hud3 said:

Yeah got it, I just didn't understand if you ment that m.2 in general we're expensive or if that m.2 in particular was not worth it.

you can find 2TB M.2's on sale for well under 150$ at this point.  

Side note:  The DeepCool AK-620 has an all white version that does look pretty good, as an option 

4 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Side note:  The DeepCool AK-620 has an all white version that does look pretty good, as an option 

I know there's white air coolers and some of them look pretty good but I don't really like having so much space taken up by a disipator so yeah, this is more about "how does it look" than "how doest it perform for its price".

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

Yeah but you are probably talking about gen 3, I will probably like to have a 4.0 one, not for gaming or loading speeds, that are like 2s faster, but for data transfer speeds. I am still thiking about this and it will probably change because when I buy it 5.0 nvme will probably be already out. Thank you for the recomendation tho, right now im investigationg on that.

Transfer speeds don't matter, unless you're literally moving 100gb+ of data multiple times a day.  (And even then, your data source is more likely your limiting factor than the drive speed.) 

2 hours ago, Hud3 said:

Don't look at the prices on PCPartPicker, I found that AIO for €150, and I think that, even if some air coolers get close to an AIO performance, they look very bad on a nice looking PC. For an AIO €150 is pretty good and, as I said, I am searching an "Infinity" themed build. The NZXT motherboard hasn't even come out, and I will probably search a better monitor.

I intend on buying this PC in 2023 when I got the money, so hopefully the DDR5 situation gets a little better.

I am now investigation on performance variations between different m.2 speeds since the one I picked is one of the fastest ones out there and that's why it is so expensive.

Furthermore, I like the NZXT motherboard mostly because of its design, but we don't really know anything about it because they haven't launched it yet. I am making research on that too.

As for the CPU, even if I went with am5, to upgrade my computer in the future I'll still need to change the motherboard, not because of socket compatibility, but because as CPUs get better, motherboards need to upgrade too, same situation right now with z690 and z790 motherboards, it doesn't matter which one you pick, they are both compatible with intel 12th and 13th gen, but z790 brings newer features as compatibility with future 5.0 m.2 or better optimization with ddr5 memory.

no no no no, you've got the perspective of old computer configurations. Thing's are different now, very different.

3 hours ago, Hud3 said:

even if some air coolers get close to an AIO performance

More often than not if "AIO gets close to air cooler performance".

3 hours ago, Hud3 said:

they look very bad on a nice looking PC

That is subjetive and simply state that you want an AIO for how it looks, because if you try and make up justification like performance you'll really ruffle some feathers.

3 hours ago, Hud3 said:

I intend on buying this PC in 2023 when I got the money

Then I recommend coming back when you have the money. PC parts fluctuate in price and availability on a weekly basis let alone a few months. In 2023 whole new GPU's will be released as well.

3 hours ago, Hud3 said:

the one I picked is one of the fastest one

Fastest in what...? Burst? Sustain? Paralel? Writes? Reads? Reliability? Unless you've moving around 10 warzones every hour then I don't see a reason why you should go for the top of the line.

3 hours ago, Hud3 said:

because as CPUs get better, motherboards need to upgrade too, same situation right now with z690 and z790 motherboards,

That's the thing. AMD is different. Their whole shtick is that their motherboards will be compatible till several generation on. Current projection is that in 2028 there will still be a brand new CPU release that will still be usable on a first generation Zen5 motherboard that came out this year, in 2022. That's why I went with Ryzen last time. I built my PC in 2018 with an X470 motherboard, so now 4 years later I will upgrade to a brand new CPU the 5800X3D. Glad I went with AMD cause in the meantime Intel went throught like 3 new sockets.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Yes, thats what I said, i'm not looking for best performance and yeah, youre right, some air coolers can be better and cheaper than the AIO that I chose, but I am also trying to get a good looking pc, and air coolers for me dont look good.

I know that planing this computer right now is not a very good idea but my objective is to change parts while new ones come out and learn throught the process. I also like doing this so even if I was not intending on buying a pc I would still be planing one.

I ment fastest in writes and reads but, as I said, I am still learning about this and right now I'm searching a good nvme for my build, maybe i'll go with gen 3, maybe i'll search a cheaper gen 4, I am working on that. I just realized that I was going with medium-high tier on every computer part but choose a top of the line nvme.

(I spent 30min writing a reply to this and then realized) The way i think about it makes me have to change the motherboard no matter if i choose intel or amd, so maybe having the posibility to just change the cpu if I choose AMD is a good option. My theory is that when I get to the point were I want to change my CPU I will want a better motherboard that has the newer features, but my opinion could change in 2 or 3 years and maybe I realize that I don't need those newer features and, if I need them, then I can change cpu and mobo, but with intel I'll be forced to change both no matter what, so I think I will go with AMD.

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot that th 13700k crushes the 7700x and performes almost as a 7900x, which costs 100€ more, in any multicore aspect.

Another thing: for the gpu I am also thinking of waiting for the 4070 and 4060 to come out as well as the radeon 7000 series.

[I I haven't written this much in English in a long time so sorry if I made any mistakes]