Hotswap SAS card help

da na

I'm in need of an SAS PCIe card for testing drives. Won't be booting from it or anything. I'm very clueless when it comes to SAS, so I'll need a good deal of help. My only requirements are Windows 10 compatible and can hotswap since I'd love to not have to shutdown every time I need to swap a disk.

First, will it support SATA drives? I don't want to have to buy two drive caddies or anything for SATA and SAS. Second, how do the connectors work? Where does the power come from? I know this is a really dumb question but since only one connector plugs into the drive, does the SAS card also supply power? Where would I find one of those cables? (Or should I just buy a front panel drive bay that can do SAS, mine only does SATA)?

Thanks! 

SAS all support SATA, it's the same backbone. The power to the controller obviously comes from the PCI-E slot, whereas the drives are powered by these, depending on whether they're SAS, mini-SAS or w/e - this is just one example:

sas808782p50.main.jpg

Just now, Motifator said:

SAS all support SATA, it's the same backbone. The power to the controller obviously comes from the PCI-E slot, whereas the drives are powered by these, depending on whether they're SAS, mini-SAS or w/e - this is just one example:

sas808782p50.main.jpg

Oh cool, thanks!