How accurate is this GPU OC tutorial?

Hi P
Go to solution Solved by SimplyChunk,

yeah that's a completely safe method of GPU overclocking.  You can't actually damage a GPU but increasing the Core/Memory clocks. all you'll do is create instability within the 3D engine that's running as going beyond the 'limit' of a GPU core just causes errors to be returned in the maths.  the more these errors happen though the more 'error correcting' goes on behind the scene and you can actually end up with worse results because of them.  That's why you should ALWAYS take a base reading of fps/frametimes at stock speeds first.  that why you'll know when you've gone as far as you can without the need to go completely to crash/freeze/bluescreen.  As with the memory you'll start to see artifacts before a crash. when you see those it's time to dial it back.   

MSI Afterburner & Kombustor OC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEhlKK5qKXo

Long story short:

1. Run MSI Afterburner and Kombustor stress test
  2. Increase Fan power limit to 120%
  3. Do increments of +20Mhz to Core Clock until you reach the limit (Kombustor crashes)
  4. Do increments of +20Mhz to Memory Clock until you reach the limit (Kombustor crashes)
  5. Don't mess with Core Voltage

The person kinda swears that this method is non-dangerous, so I'm just double checking with you guys

I kinda just wanna try OC for the sake of it, I've already been told it doesn't help a lot.

yeah that's a completely safe method of GPU overclocking.  You can't actually damage a GPU but increasing the Core/Memory clocks. all you'll do is create instability within the 3D engine that's running as going beyond the 'limit' of a GPU core just causes errors to be returned in the maths.  the more these errors happen though the more 'error correcting' goes on behind the scene and you can actually end up with worse results because of them.  That's why you should ALWAYS take a base reading of fps/frametimes at stock speeds first.  that why you'll know when you've gone as far as you can without the need to go completely to crash/freeze/bluescreen.  As with the memory you'll start to see artifacts before a crash. when you see those it's time to dial it back.   

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

The guide won't result in the best or most stable overclocks, but it's not dangerous, worst thing that could happen is games crashing. 

1 hour ago, Hi P said:

Don't mess with Core Voltage

bullshit

even if you max core volt that will not degrade a gpu just because if you can even adjust core volt via msi afterburner in the first place (most newer gpus dont even allow this for all i know) itll likely be capped well below the volt that degradation happens, killing the gpu without a voltmod is straight up impossible, cant even degrade the thing with volt in the first place then how are you gonna kill it with volt? 

Though if you can adjust core volt then itd usually be for undervolting since on higher end gpus gpu core oc is dead and barely gives any performance benifit so why bother and just undervolt to save 50w+? And no you cant degrade or kill a gpu with undervolt if that isnt obvious enough already, worst thatll happen is instability with too low volt/too high clock

1 hour ago, Hi P said:

Increase Fan power limit to 120%

What the hell is fan power limit? You mean gpu power limit? Thats accurate, even if you undervolt i think theres still a benifit in the form of better .1%/1% lows when the gpu occasionally power spikes for a few miliseconds

1 hour ago, Hi P said:
  • Do increments of +20Mhz to Core Clock until you reach the limit (Kombustor crashes)
  • Do increments of +20Mhz to Memory Clock until you reach the limit (Kombustor crashes)

This is more of a personal preference thing but when i gpu oc just memory clock +100 increments and gpu core +20 - 50 increments till crash then switch to smaller increments. When youve found pretty much the absolute limit back off by 30-50mhz so theres abit of headroom to mitigate any random artifacting or crashing