Managing multiple ipads

Normally you'd be able to use apples mdm solution, but the ipads are too old for that, because reasons. So i am looking for alternatives to manage multiple ipads. We have around 35 ipads at work. And either my googlefu isn't strong enough, or it looks like a shitshow.

And if there's a way to manage the layout of apps, so the layout of all ipads would be identical, that'd be great too.

Any suggestions and advise is appreciated.

Nope....Just nope.

On 9/11/2022 at 6:35 AM, idiocracy said:

Normally you'd be able to use apples mdm solution, but the ipads are too old for that, because reasons. So i am looking for alternatives to manage multiple ipads. We have around 35 ipads at work. And either my googlefu isn't strong enough, or it looks like a shitshow.

And if there's a way to manage the layout of apps, so the layout of all ipads would be identical, that'd be great too.

Any suggestions and advise is appreciated.

Do you need each of them to have there own data or are you ok re-settign them to restore these things?

If the iPads are all the same model you may well be able to connect them to a make and use Apple Configurator apply this configuration to them (including things like app layout etc). 

This tool is also supposed to be autmaticable so once the iPads have `trusted` your Mac you can have the Mac autmaticly apply the changes whenever you connect the iPad to the Mac.  Some people have a Mac mini setup with a load of iPad docks so you plug in the iPad and it re-flashes it back to the state you want. 

I believe you do this by creating a blueprint in the configurator app... but im not sure if it works for old old devices.. 

7 hours ago, hishnash said:

Do you need each of them to have there own data or are you ok re-settign them to restore these things?

If the iPads are all the same model you may well be able to connect them to a make and use Apple Configurator apply this configuration to them (including things like app layout etc). 

This tool is also supposed to be autmaticable so once the iPads have `trusted` your Mac you can have the Mac autmaticly apply the changes whenever you connect the iPad to the Mac.  Some people have a Mac mini setup with a load of iPad docks so you plug in the iPad and it re-flashes it back to the state you want. 

I believe you do this by creating a blueprint in the configurator app... but im not sure if it works for old old devices.. 

Resetting/restoring them is fine, i am getting colleagues to make a list of all the apps they want. They're not all the same model. We don't have any macs, so windows tools would be preferred.

Nope....Just nope.

• 3 weeks later...

I've found the best way to do it, so far. Is taking one ipad and setting it up, then synchronize the icloud backup. On a different ipad, after reset, restore from icloud backup.

Limitations on the ipad can be set up through restrictions while on the newer once it's "screen time". Even tho this is a bit cumbersome, it is working and is having the intended effect.

Nope....Just nope.