Suggestion for Open Source Repository Management Tool for Docker Registry?

Hopefully someone can suggest me which open source repository management tool for docker registry that i can use for my organization.

I need a docker registry with web portal that developers can easily access and manage their repositories/images, with reasonable security available.

So far I have tried Portus, however the project are pretty much dead as no update on the project for a few years now. I'm not able setup it up successfully, Secure LDAP is not working and somehow the image pushed to the registry is not showing up in their web portal.

I've also tried goharbor, everything works great but there is one small problem: The docker client that login to the goharbor registry will see the message below:

WARNING! Your password will be stored unencrypted in /root/.docker/config.json.

I've verified it and the file does store the credential unencrypted. Reading the tutorial in goharbor's web site a few round and i don't see a way to prevent this behavior. That's kind of a deal breaker for some developers because they do not like to store their credential unencrypted in the VM not under their direct control.

I've also go through the route of implementing my own authentication service for open source docker registry, I have little success on that but writing the whole management tool from scratch seems not feasible at the moment.

Appreciate if someone can give me suggestion on this.

PS: I'd like to avoid paid docker registry service as my organization got screw over by a company who shall not be named, the standard money problem as you would've guessed, so I'm bound to self-hosted solution.