Making a gaming rig

Budget (including currency): 1k USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Apex, Valorant

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Im planning on making a pc with a budget of 1k https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HLGVfv and was wondering if I could get any help in checking if these parts would be the best option for my situation. I plan on playing the games listed above and running it on windows.

(note that i'd like some rgb)

ALTERNATE CONFIG: 

Looks fine to me! I'd probably only change the case to something like This since it's a bit nicer for the price, otherwise it looks fine.

I wouldn't really consider dropping to a 12100f since the 12400f will last considerably longer for ~60 bucks more 

If you live near a microcenter, you could get your CPU and Motherboard there for about $190 (microcenter sells the 5600 for $150 and gives you a $20 discount on a motherboard in-store, and there are plenty of b450 wifi boards for like $60) and then you'd be able to go with a 6700xt and a 1tb SSD. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($184.00 @ Newegg) (WOULD BE $150 AT MICROCENTER)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($64.99 @ Newegg) (WOULD BE $40 WITH A DISCOUNT AT MICROCENTER)
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($47.97 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($71.98 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Challenger D Video Card  ($395.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Asus TUF Gaming GT301 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA GD (2019) 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($64.98 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2768-2KPC-MHD OMNI 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Curved Monitor  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1079.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-17 18:21 EDT-0400

Otherwise the list you made would be your best bet.

The sign is a subtle joke. The shop is called "Sneed's Feed & Seed", where feed and seed both end in the sound "-eed", thus rhyming with the name of the owner, Sneed. The sign says that the shop was "Formerly Chuck's", implying that the two words beginning with "F" and "S" would have ended with "-uck", rhyming with "Chuck". So, when Chuck owned the shop, it would have been called "Chuck's Feeduck and Seeduck".

2 hours ago, Ryuikko said:

Looks fine to me! I'd probably only change the case to something like This since it's a bit nicer for the price, otherwise it looks fine.

I wouldn't really consider dropping to a 12100f since the 12400f will last considerably longer for ~60 bucks more 

I forgot to clarify that I specifically wanted RGB components to be purple. In that case, I'm not sure if the case you've listed is suitable, as I haven't been able to find any documentation stating the fans are aRGB.

7 minutes ago, Aciddburn said:

forgot to clarify that I specifically wanted RGB components to be purple. In that case, I'm not sure if the case you've listed is suitable, as I haven't been able to find any documentation stating the fans are aRGB.

Afaik the case in @Queen Chrysalislist is argb so you can use that instead

59 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

If you live near a microcenter, you could get your CPU and Motherboard there for about $190 (microcenter sells the 5600 for $150 and gives you a $20 discount on a motherboard in-store, and there are plenty of b450 wifi boards for like $60) and then you'd be able to go with a 6700xt and a 1tb SSD. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($184.00 @ Newegg) (WOULD BE $150 AT MICROCENTER)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($64.99 @ Newegg) (WOULD BE $40 WITH A DISCOUNT AT MICROCENTER)
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($47.97 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($71.98 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Challenger D Video Card  ($395.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Asus TUF Gaming GT301 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA GD (2019) 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($64.98 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2768-2KPC-MHD OMNI 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Curved Monitor  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1079.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-17 18:21 EDT-0400

Otherwise the list you made would be your best bet.

IIRC, Microcenter motherboard/CPU combos are very restricted- Microcenter themselves lists which combos are available, and only those which are shown in the combos tab may have the discount applied. 

My primary concerns with this are as follows.

Cooler, or lack thereof- Although the 5600 can be used perfectly fine in conjunction with its boxed cooler, it does get quite toasty and also a bit noisy.

Motherboard- Gigabyte's DS3H lineup is bare-bones, which wouldn't necessarily be a problem, but this specific motherboard uses the b450 chipset, which means no PCIE 4.0. It works and can bring to the table the 5600x's performance but leaves out many niceties in the pursuit of cutting cost.

Storage- A while back crucial swapped the Crucial P2's flash with QLC, dropping already low performance to bargain-bin levels, as seen here.

PSU- The power supply listed is in psucultists' tierlist at C tier, which isn't exactly ideal for a $1k investment.

36 minutes ago, Fubs said:

IIRC, Microcenter motherboard/CPU combos are very restricted- Microcenter themselves lists which combos are available, and only those which are shown in the combos tab may have the discount applied. 

My primary concerns with this are as follows.

Cooler, or lack thereof- Although the 5600 can be used perfectly fine in conjunction with its boxed cooler, it does get quite toasty and also a bit noisy.

Motherboard- Gigabyte's DS3H lineup is bare-bones, which wouldn't necessarily be a problem, but this specific motherboard uses the b450 chipset, which means no PCIE 4.0. It works and can bring to the table the 5600x's performance but leaves out many niceties in the pursuit of cutting cost.

Storage- A while back crucial swapped the Crucial P2's flash with QLC, dropping already low performance to bargain-bin levels, as seen here.

PSU- The power supply listed is in psucultists' tierlist at C tier, which isn't exactly ideal for a $1k investment.

They'll let you do any two compatible products for the combo, I've done it thrice.  PCIe 3.0 isn't a problem for the 6700xt or any current GPUs.  By the time you're actually looking at buying a PCIe 4.0 GPU you'll be wanting a whole new computer anyway.  As far as niceties, the ds3h has everything any other b450 does for features, not really sure what else you'd really want it to do.  Onboard wifi and bluetooth are all anyone really seems to use.  You could toss in a $20 tower cooler off amazon if you wanted to and it'd stay at mx boost and be plenty quiet.  If it's just for gaming QLC is not an issue, but you can go with a different SSD if need be.  Tiers are meaningless, but the GQ is about the same price.  For a $1K PC, a GD 700 is more than fine, you'll see plenty of people using far worse units for years flawlessly.  The tier list is made by the most neurotic worry-warts you'll ever come across.

The sign is a subtle joke. The shop is called "Sneed's Feed & Seed", where feed and seed both end in the sound "-eed", thus rhyming with the name of the owner, Sneed. The sign says that the shop was "Formerly Chuck's", implying that the two words beginning with "F" and "S" would have ended with "-uck", rhyming with "Chuck". So, when Chuck owned the shop, it would have been called "Chuck's Feeduck and Seeduck".

33 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

you'll see plenty of people using far worse units for years flawlessly

an example is me with my 11 ish year old 450w dazumba which would be considered a random garbage psu, 1 year in my possesion and 11 years of being thrown around it still works just fine even for my oc shenanigans though i only cpu and ram oc so no wonder its still fine

35 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

The tier list is made by the most neurotic worry-warts you'll ever come across

good reference especially avoiding the actually bad explosive units but i wouldnt be considering every psu outside that list to be trash nor would i even care about the tiers cause the psus job is just making the damn pc work and thats it, i dont care if im using a d tier in a 2000$ build if it works just fine

37 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

PCIe 3.0 isn't a problem for the 6700xt or any current GPUs.  By the time you're actually looking at buying a PCIe 4.0 GPU you'll be wanting a whole new computer anyway

^^^

No current gpus other than the absymal x4 pcie 4.0 gpus like the 6500xt give a crap about pcie 3 vs 4, maybe youll gain 5 fps or something but pcie bandwidth is not neccesarily a limiter even for the highest end gpus

2 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

They'll let you do any two compatible products for the combo, I've done it thrice.  PCIe 3.0 isn't a problem for the 6700xt or any current GPUs.  By the time you're actually looking at buying a PCIe 4.0 GPU you'll be wanting a whole new computer anyway.  As far as niceties, the ds3h has everything any other b450 does for features, not really sure what else you'd really want it to do.  Onboard wifi and bluetooth are all anyone really seems to use.  You could toss in a $20 tower cooler off amazon if you wanted to and it'd stay at mx boost and be plenty quiet.  If it's just for gaming QLC is not an issue, but you can go with a different SSD if need be.  Tiers are meaningless, but the GQ is about the same price.  For a $1K PC, a GD 700 is more than fine, you'll see plenty of people using far worse units for years flawlessly.  The tier list is made by the most neurotic worry-warts you'll ever come across.

In response to this:

Disn’t know about the motherboard combos! Very neat and I will be using this moving ahead. In regards to pcie 3.0, I do agree that it is and will for some time be the bog standard; most anything won’t be able to benefit. I believe it’s more of a nice-to-have. In power supplies, I do think that the PSU tier list does have some meaning, but also has been taken far beyond a reference point, case in point myself. Thanks for the response!