looking for a new case

Gorn21

Hello there i am currently looking to buy a new case and i am considering buying a corsair crystal 680x. The question is are these expensive cases really worth it and if not are there any good one which offer alot of space that i dont have to squeeze all my components in?

Currently i am using an around 100€ Thermaltake case which i got a few years ago to fix overheating issues with my old I7 7700k (dropped temps by around 20°). It was good enough for a while but after using it for a while i got a few issues with it mainly my power button stopped working. Second cable management is a mess in there since there is just not enough space for my current hardware and lastly my top mounted CPU cooler stops me from upgrading my ram since there is just no space left.

After searching on some websites i kinda like the design of the corsair crystal 680x since it has a clean look and alot of space for future improvements. So far i allways went for cases around 80-100€ and i am not sure if its wise to spend 280€ just for a case which in worst case will break down prety fast aswell.

I usually think of cases as investments, as they won't be obsolete all that fast and generally last long, if they are build somewhat well (and not physically abused by the user or shipping companies). You should upgrade if your current case doesn't do what you need it to do, but I would look at a few (video) reviews of expensive cases before buying one, or asking around on the forum if anyone has that case and can recommend it.

And (you likely did this already, but just to make sure) confirm that all your hardware and upgrades you *know* you will make soon is/are going to fit, especially with that expensive of a case. And look around if there are options you like better as well, maybe the Fractal Design R7 XL or so.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

13 minutes ago, Bismut said:

I usually think of cases as investments, as they won't be obsolete all that fast and generally last long, if they are build somewhat well (and not physically abused by the user or shipping companies). You should upgrade if your current case doesn't do what you need it to do, but I would look at a few (video) reviews of expensive cases before buying one, or asking around on the forum if anyone has that case and can recommend it.

And (you likely did this already, but just to make sure) confirm that all your hardware and upgrades you *know* you will make soon is/are going to fit, especially with that expensive of a case. And look around if there are options you like better as well, maybe the Fractal Design R7 XL or so.

fitting with that case wont be an issue 
https://www.corsair.com/de/de/Kategorien/Produkte/Gehäuse/Crystal-Series-680X-RGB-High-Airflow-Tempered-Glass-ATX-Smart-Case/p/CC-9011168-WW

there is more than enough room even for future upgrades which is why i am considering that case and yes i hope that the case will last a long time so that i can keep switching out components when i want to improve my system which is also why i dont want to buy a small case again which barley fits my current needs.

Honestly, I think expensive cases get too much hate, and that's not the "I bought an expensive case instead of properly allocating budget and now I regret not getting a 6900 XT" talking, I'm serious. Expensive cases and power supplies above any other "expensive" component make the most sense, since they last very long and standards don't change as much (if at all) over the lifespan of the PSU/case, which is why I can easily justify spending ~$200 on a PSU or case.

1 minute ago, bluesummer said:

Honestly, I think expensive cases get too much hate, and that's not the "I bought an expensive case instead of properly allocating budget and now I regret not getting a 6900 XT" talking, I'm serious. Expensive cases and power supplies above any other "expensive" component make the most sense, since they last very long and standards don't change as much (if at all) over the lifespan of the PSU/case, which is why I can easily justify spending ~$200 on a PSU or case.

My setup is complete for now the only thing i need to change for now is my case everything else was upgraded recently which is why i dont have to divert budget from other parts to justify an expensive case. Sadly i just noticed that my rtx 3080 is 6 mm to long so i will probably go for the 7000d airflow which sadly lacks the second compartment but also has overall more room for about the same price.