custom keyboard help (please ;.;)

Makaroni

Hello keyboard enthusiasts.

I need to build myself a custom keyboard and i need a place or recommendations on what to buy. 

I am currently using a razer blackwidow 2019 and i enjoy the feel quite much however, now with a wife and a kid i can`t really play starcraft in peace in the evening because i either wake up the kid or the wife and both are a pain to deal with.

I need the following;

A base that is similar to the razer one (full sized keyboard) (US Layout if possible)
Silent mechanical switches (most importantly that they do not click) (bonus if the switches are RGB and i can control each key's color individually) (so far i have found gatheron brown switches and people say cherry MX is also good) (something about dampeners also?)
and a recommendation where to get custom made keycaps

My budget is about 400-450 USD (the wife allows it)
Country and region (Bulgaria, Europe) (I can order stuff from amazon.de and they will arrive in Bulgaria)

On 8/9/2022 at 6:23 AM, Makaroni said:

Hello keyboard enthusiasts.

I need to build myself a custom keyboard and i need a place or recommendations on what to buy. 

I am currently using a razer blackwidow 2019 and i enjoy the feel quite much however, now with a wife and a kid i can`t really play starcraft in peace in the evening because i either wake up the kid or the wife and both are a pain to deal with.

I need the following;

A base that is similar to the razer one (full sized keyboard) (US Layout if possible)
Silent mechanical switches (most importantly that they do not click) (bonus if the switches are RGB and i can control each key's color individually) (so far i have found gatheron brown switches and people say cherry MX is also good) (something about dampeners also?)
and a recommendation where to get custom made keycaps

My budget is about 400-450 USD (the wife allows it)
Country and region (Bulgaria, Europe) (I can order stuff from amazon.de and they will arrive in Bulgaria)

Keychron Q6

get whatever keycaps you want

linear or tactile switches?

also most good non-click switches are probably pretty quiet and might be quiet enough for you

6 hours ago, person123456789 said:

Keychron Q6

get whatever keycaps you want

linear or tactile switches?

also most good non-click switches are probably pretty quiet and might be quiet enough for you

I guess tactile? since its what i am used to. If there is not a big difference between the two i`ll get the quieter ones 😄

I`ll check the Keychron Q6 today and look around for the keycaps online.

7 hours ago, Makaroni said:

I guess tactile? since its what i am used to. If there is not a big difference between the two i`ll get the quieter ones 😄

I`ll check the Keychron Q6 today and look around for the keycaps online.

Are regular non-click switches quit enough for you? You can try to listen to some sound tests on yt to make a better informed decision. (SOUND TESTS ARE NOT 100% ACCURATE)

1 hour ago, person123456789 said:

Are regular non-click switches quit enough for you? You can try to listen to some sound tests on yt to make a better informed decision. (SOUND TESTS ARE NOT 100% ACCURATE)

Yes i did a sound test on my sons room if i can get 2 to 3.4 db out of my keyboard the little one and the wife will sleep properly. basically once i hit my 300-400 APM micro during the late game it is when they can barely hear it and it is when they could wake up usually both cranky

So my choice is simple
switches: Gateron G Brown Pro Switches Pre-lubed 3pin RGB SMD Linear for Gaming Mechanical Keyboard = 144x is about 60$ USD
Keyboard: Keychron Q6 barebones (no nub) = i`ll put it at 200$ USD (i checked everywhere but i dont know if they come WITH a silicone  thingy at the bottom (i saw a vid that it is good to have)  "The keyboard PCB, the case, and the steel plate."

Rest of the budget is for the keycaps i guess and whatever else i am missing?

question number 2. there are balances or whatever they call it for the space alt tab shift etc. Do i need to buy them separately?
questions number 3. those switches that i chose can have their RGB individually adjusted correct?
question number 4. (sorry last one) Any recommendation on what kind of keycaps i should be looking for?

47 minutes ago, Makaroni said:

Yes i did a sound test on my sons room if i can get 2 to 3.4 db out of my keyboard the little one and the wife will sleep properly. basically once i hit my 300-400 APM micro during the late game it is when they can barely hear it and it is when they could wake up usually both cranky

So my choice is simple
switches: Gateron G Brown Pro Switches Pre-lubed 3pin RGB SMD Linear for Gaming Mechanical Keyboard = 144x is about 60$ USD
Keyboard: Keychron Q6 barebones (no nub) = i`ll put it at 200$ USD (i checked everywhere but i dont know if they come WITH a silicone  thingy at the bottom (i saw a vid that it is good to have)  "The keyboard PCB, the case, and the steel plate."

Rest of the budget is for the keycaps i guess and whatever else i am missing?

question number 2. there are balances or whatever they call it for the space alt tab shift etc. Do i need to buy them separately?
questions number 3. those switches that i chose can have their RGB individually adjusted correct?
question number 4. (sorry last one) Any recommendation on what kind of keycaps i should be looking for?

I would recommend some higher quality switches and also you dont need to deal with the stabilizers. they come pre-lubed

yes the keyboard supports per key rgb

find some keycaps at cannon keys or kinetic labs or any other keeb shop

for tactiles, do you like a light tactile bump, a regular tactile bump or a big tactile bump

3 minutes ago, person123456789 said:

I would recommend some higher quality switches and also you dont need to deal with the stabilizers. they come pre-lubed

yes the keyboard supports per key rgb

find some keycaps at cannon keys or kinetic labs or any other keeb shop

for tactiles, do you like a light tactile bump, a regular tactile bump or a big tactile bump

What switches would you recommend that are silent and have that per switch RGB?

I prefer light bump i guess. the reason i chose the gatheron brown with RGB is that they have the same travel time and actuation force as my current keyboard so the getting used to should be fairly easy.

For the key caps i could even go with my Razer keycaps as i am used to them are they already have see trough. i`ve been looking at multiple places but i can`t seem to find a custom keycap configurator with double shot key caps with glow trough letters

42 minutes ago, Makaroni said:

What switches would you recommend that are silent and have that per switch RGB?

I prefer light bump i guess. the reason i chose the gatheron brown with RGB is that they have the same travel time and actuation force as my current keyboard so the getting used to should be fairly easy.

For the key caps i could even go with my Razer keycaps as i am used to them are they already have see trough. i`ve been looking at multiple places but i can`t seem to find a custom keycap configurator with double shot key caps with glow trough letters

If you want silent tactile switches you might want to look at the boba u4

if you dont need switches that quiet you might want to think about the cotton candies

its a very nice light tactile (sorta like mx browns but much better)

it still supports rgb but it might be a little bit diffused.

also, why is shine through keycaps such a priority?

58 minutes ago, person123456789 said:

If you want silent tactile switches you might want to look at the boba u4

if you dont need switches that quiet you might want to think about the cotton candies

its a very nice light tactile (sorta like mx browns but much better)

it still supports rgb but it might be a little bit diffused.

also, why is shine through keycaps such a priority?

i`ll check em out tomorrow. 

the shine through should only be via the letters not the whole keycap.

Thanks for the info and i`ll post back when i check the switches

20 minutes ago, Makaroni said:

i`ll check em out tomorrow. 

the shine through should only be via the letters not the whole keycap.

Thanks for the info and i`ll post back when i check the switches

why would you want illuminated letters?

the rgb between the keycaps should be enough