Which OC is better for my CPU?

So I've been doing a lot of research, especially recently.

CPU: 11900K with Asus Maximus Hero XIII

Right now, I have ran blender BMW for 19 hours with the following:

Multi: 52

AVX2/AVX512: off

LLC@4

IC/DC: 0.01

VID for 5.2: -0.40

C-States Disabled

Power Mode in Windows set to High Power

Under load vcore in HWiNFO is ~1.387 - 1.394

Idle however is ~1.510 (I think..  I'm not 100 percent sure if it was that, or a bit higher.  It was however at least 1.510) (This is also idle at 5.2 because of the C-States and High Power option in Windows)

Next I tried (But didn't test except to see what the vcore would be at load)

LLC@6

VID for 5.2 - 0.180 0.125

Load is ~1.394

Idle is 1.465

Like I said, I didn't test the later.

I have been reading a lot, and I can't seem to get an understanding of which is better.  I've read that higher LLC is bad for CPU because voltage at idle is high, but what I'm seeing here is that it is lower.

There is also dips as I have read, and as you may have noticed that with the first test, I listed 1.387 - 1.394.  I'm guessing that is the dip, or transient?

With the later settings, I'm seeing Idle 1.456 - 1.465, so would those be the transient as well?

Going to stress with the later settings.  If any more info is needed, just ask away.

Update:

So stressing with the latter settings:

Load I saw 1.394 to 1.403

You don't understand it because you've only concentrated on half the story.

The way it works is by Amp draw, not neccessarily on v-core settings alone.

So at idle, a higher v-core for the single and dual core boost clocks is normal, the Amp pull is still less than an all core load. Which is when you see the v-core droop as well as the clock frequency for all cores. So you're still within the power package limits, and that's fine. 

Thermally, shouldn't be a big deal. 85c for all core load with a moderate +/- 200mhz OC is ideal. 

So the TLDR, use the OC that gives you the best performance to the watt.

4 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

You don't understand it because you've only concentrated on half the story.

The way it works is by Amp draw, not neccessarily on v-core settings alone.

So at idle, a higher v-core for the single and dual core boost clocks is normal, the Amp pull is still less than an all core load. Which is when you see the v-core droop as well as the clock frequency for all cores. So you're still within the power package limits, and that's fine. 

Thermally, shouldn't be a big deal. 85c for all core load with a moderate +/- 200mhz OC is ideal. 

So the TLDR, use the OC that gives you the best performance to the watt.

What if I go to LLC 8, would that not be bad at all?

1 minute ago, Cmptr said:

What if I go to LLC 8, would that not be bad at all?

Don't use more if you don't need more. 

Stability test at the lowest possible LLC and v-core settings if possible. 

Looking for efficiency. 

Watch the wattage reports through HWInfor64. 

If stable with less wattage used = better efficiency = better temps. 

I'd try to get under 1.400v v-core at load. (You're close, I saw the update.)

Just now, Guest 5150 said:

Don't use more if you don't need more. 

Stability test at the lowest possible LLC and v-core settings if possible. 

Looking for efficiency. 

Watch the wattage reports through HWInfor64. 

If stable with less wattage used = better efficiency = better temps. 

I'd try to get under 1.400v v-core at load. (You're close, I saw the update.)

So with the first settings, vcore under load doesn't go above 1.394.  It's Idle that stays above 1.5

I also don't manually set any vcore in bios.  I just modify the V/F Point table.

For the second settings, I saw a max  CPU Power Package of 394, while with the first ones, I saw over 400

8 minutes ago, Cmptr said:

So with the first settings, vcore under load doesn't go above 1.394.  It's Idle that stays above 1.5

I also don't manually set any vcore in bios.  I just modify the V/F Point table.

For the second settings, I saw a max  CPU Power Package of 394, while with the first ones, I saw over 400

Looks like the second settings under 400w wins.

1 minute ago, Guest 5150 said:

Looks like the second settings under 400w wins.

Just tested with LLC@8 with -0.2 for VID for 5.2 (Also had to change VID for 5.1 to -0.1 so the change would do anything as -0.2 for VID on 5.2 is lower than VID for 5.1).  Did a test, and CPU Power Package was 373..  

So you're saying using the max LLC in this case is the best option?

7 minutes ago, Cmptr said:

Just tested with LLC@8 with -0.2 for VID for 5.2 (Also had to change VID for 5.1 to -0.1 so the change would do anything as -0.2 for VID on 5.2 is lower than VID for 5.1).  Did a test, and CPU Power Package was 373..  

So you're saying using the max LLC in this case is the best option?

So far yes. But keep messing around.

9 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

So far yes. But keep messing around.

Ran FFmpeg encoding a 4K HDR movie using libx265 on preset Slow with the following:

AVX2 and AVX512 Offset at 0

LLC@8

VID for 5.2 at -0.22

Adaptive voltage at +0.001

No crashes or errors and temps have not gone above 88C..  Average is 84C

What is strange is that this is the first test that I have done for any AVX load, and I'm using the same settings as I did for SSE and it seems stable so far.  I mean the AVX Voltage Guard Band is set to auto, but even then, I' still seeing the following for vCore:

Max 1.421 for Idle

1.394 to 1.403 Max Load all night!

CPU Package Power average is a 364, and the max is 405, and it wasn't that high before I went to bed.  The first settings that I had, the average easily went to the 413 without AVX enabled at all, and that was also within less than a minute of a stress test.

The CPU current average is 185, and the max is 212

I would say at 5.2GHz All Core with AVX2 and AVX512, this is a good OC?  Would you agree?

The only thing I don't like is the the uncore went from 4.3 to 4.0..  But I will probably try to OC that later which I will probably open another thread for it to ask some questions.

9 minutes ago, Cmptr said:

Ran FFmpeg encoding a 4K HDR movie using libx265 on preset Slow with the following:

AVX2 and AVX512 Offset at 0

LLC@8

VID for 5.2 at -0.22

Adaptive voltage at +0.001

No crashes or errors and temps have not gone above 88C..  Average is 84C

What is strange is that this is the first test that I have done for any AVX load, and I'm using the same settings as I did for SSE and it seems stable so far.  I mean the AVX Voltage Guard Band is set to auto, but even then, I' still seeing the following for vCore:

Max 1.421 for Idle

1.394 to 1.403 Max Load all night!

CPU Package Power average is a 364, and the max is 405, and it wasn't that high before I went to bed.  The first settings that I had, the average easily went to the 413 without AVX enabled at all, and that was also within less than a minute of a stress test.

The CPU current average is 185, and the max is 212

I would say at 5.2GHz All Core with AVX2 and AVX512, this is a good OC?  Would you agree?

The only thing I don't like is the the uncore went from 4.3 to 4.0..  But I will probably try to OC that later which I will probably open another thread for it to ask some questions.

Looks very decent. It's a keeper OC.

4 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

Looks very decent. It's a keeper OC.

Thank you for all your input.  I was very worried about haveing LLC@8 and was worried it would kill my CPU.  Your input has helped a lot.  Thank you.