Manjaro disk decryption

Go to solution Solved by 10leej,
On 7/13/2022 at 6:39 AM, StalePie42 said:

Okay thanks that makes sense do you know a way to enter your password again even if you got it wrong once without having to restart your pc?

Not if Grub is encrypted, Grub uses a resd only filesystem and can't write to memory so if a password is wrong it will have to reboot.

When I installed manjaro I set up full disk encryption and whenever I start my computer it always takes a long time to decrypt and if I get my password wrong it sends me to grub rescue I was wondering if there was a faster way to decrypting my drive and if there is a way of entering my password again after getting it wrong once.

10 hours ago, 10leej said:

How long is it taking to decrypt? On average its usually a 5 to 10 or so second process for me.

Almost 30 seconds 

17 hours ago, StalePie42 said:

Almost 30 seconds 

Hmm, looking into it it looks like Manjaro is doing the same for me, honestly it's probably intentional and changing the encryption scheme is probably doable, but less secure. Either way ou can probably set a new encryption cheme, but you'll lose the data in the filesystem So your call on that.

This is because majaro encrypts /boot as well, which is a constrained environment systemwise (intentionally as the uefi relies on your OS kernel to manage the system schedule).

This is full disk encryption, you can install manjaro with just root encrypted, ut your basically installing manjaro like arch at that point.

7 hours ago, 10leej said:

Hmm, looking into it it looks like Manjaro is doing the same for me, honestly it's probably intentional and changing the encryption scheme is probably doable, but less secure. Either way ou can probably set a new encryption cheme, but you'll lose the data in the filesystem So your call on that.

This is because majaro encrypts /boot as well, which is a constrained environment systemwise (intentionally as the uefi relies on your OS kernel to manage the system schedule).

This is full disk encryption, you can install manjaro with just root encrypted, ut your basically installing manjaro like arch at that point.

Okay thanks that makes sense do you know a way to enter your password again even if you got it wrong once without having to restart your pc?

On 7/13/2022 at 6:39 AM, StalePie42 said:

Not if Grub is encrypted, Grub uses a resd only filesystem and can't write to memory so if a password is wrong it will have to reboot.

1 minute ago, 10leej said:

Okay thanks I guess I will just have to learn to live with it.

2 minutes ago, StalePie42 said:

Okay thanks I guess I will just have to learn to live with it.

You could just suspend the system rather than shutting it down. Then just enable automatic logic from the login manager (don't recommend for traveling laptops, but it's fine for a desktop)