Does windows 11 support LDAC and if so do I need any accessories.

Burgerchops1

I’m looking at buying Sony WF-1000XM4 and was wondering if LDAC is supported with windows 11 so I can use my tidal subscription to the max. 

Seems it is not.

But I have had Tidal on my pair. And there is a difference. The sound gets a little richer, and details clearer.

9 hours ago, Burgerchops1 said:

I’m looking at buying Sony WF-1000XM4 and was wondering if LDAC is supported with windows 11 so I can use my tidal subscription to the max. 

Same. (Beside Tidal part)

Anyways, here are my findings so far, being in same boat as you (looking to buy the WF-1000XM4 myself)

Windows 11, supports SBC and AAC (AAC is new to Win11) Bluetooth codec. Sadly, for AptX / Apt HD and LDAC, it is up the the Bluetooth adapter maker to provide the codec. 

Very few laptops and hard to find PC USB Bluetooth adapters have AptX support (let alone HD version). I don't get why. I mean I know there is licensing cost, and implementation and support cost... but I don't get it why the PC space is ignored from providing quality audio experience to users. I guess customers don't think about it.... I am just guessing...

That said, all hope is not lost:

FiiO BTA30 Pro to the rescue! 

It is a Bluetooth audio only receiver and transmitter with LDAC support, while expensive, doesn't cost a kidney like other... more... audiophile solutions. It has USB Type-C connector, and can be connected to a PC. No drivers needed, Windows will detect it as an USB Audio device when set as a transmitter.

It has a BT codec selector at the front (SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX HD, and LDAC), and you are ready to go. I have no tried it yet, but my reading suggests that is all that is needed. Connect your XM4 to this device, (assuming the box is connected to your PC already via USB and the switch on the box set to transmitter mode, of course)), pick LDAC if that was never picked before, and your good to go.

There is a limitation... no mic support or Headset/Earphones button support. Audio out only. So, if you want to do a call, you'll need to reconnect your XM4 to your PC directly to do that, or use another pair or use the webcam mic or a dedicated mic. Sadly, the XM4 doesn't support multi-point device support... apparently it has to do with LDAC using too much bandwidth for BT to support this. So if you really want to use the mic of the XM4 for a online call (Teams, Zoom, etc) you'll need to connect them to the PC BT directly, and once done, reconnect them to the FiiO BTA30 Pro for best audio quality.

I have not found anything else, so far. The rare to find AptX BT modules no longer exists from what I can see, and well the XM4 doesn't have AptX support (they no longer use Qualcomm chip)

• 4 months later...

I have a FiiO BTA30, its amazing, used with the sony headphones..... Agree with @GoodBytes.....However I will point out there's around 1/8th second audio video desync. No problems for music etc, but when watching content, i use VLC and can manually adjust

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, AKA_VKL said:

https://www.bluetoothgoodies.com/a2dp/
Gone are the days of windows without LDAC, though use this at your own discretion

Yea, I tried it. It breaks Win11 BT headset/music mode switching,  all communication apps are confused, and once you manage to make your headset work for a call, your voice is garbled and no one can understand you properly.

Tried also with wireless earbuds, and you get to enjoy randomly disconnects of one of your earbuds. You have to disconnect and reconnect.

It needs SERIOUS amount of work, and despite the limited trial force app update, I see no movement from the Dev.

I just cannot recommend. Maybe in a few years, but not today.