Easy OS migration?

jc0606
Go to solution Solved by C2dan88,
17 minutes ago, jc0606 said:

also i dont want to clone my drive, just migrate my os as i am keeping my old drive,

There is no such method of moving only the os and leaving behind installed apps/games on a drive

You will have to reinstall windows to your new drive. Apps you have on your old drive will need to reinstalled*

*Some apps may get away with creating a new shortcut to the exe. But you wont have os integration such as a start menu items, right click context menu, file association etc.

Your games should not need be reinstalled. With steam you can add your old drive as a steam library for it recognize the games on that drive. Other game clients may allow to do this too.

Once windows is installed on your new drive you can go ahead and delete windows files from your old drive if you no longer want to keep windows on that drive.

Hi how can i easily migrate my os without wiping out my whole pc, im ok with not regaining page icons and such like that, but i want to keep apps alla steam and other games. Does anyone have a good way of doing this, im on windows 11 but i am willing to go back to windows 10

also i dont want to clone my drive, just migrate my os as i am keeping my old drive, should i just reinstall windows?

Migrate from to where? 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

17 minutes ago, jc0606 said:

also i dont want to clone my drive, just migrate my os as i am keeping my old drive,

There is no such method of moving only the os and leaving behind installed apps/games on a drive

You will have to reinstall windows to your new drive. Apps you have on your old drive will need to reinstalled*

*Some apps may get away with creating a new shortcut to the exe. But you wont have os integration such as a start menu items, right click context menu, file association etc.

Your games should not need be reinstalled. With steam you can add your old drive as a steam library for it recognize the games on that drive. Other game clients may allow to do this too.

Once windows is installed on your new drive you can go ahead and delete windows files from your old drive if you no longer want to keep windows on that drive.

5 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

So i wont have to reinstall steam libaries or my microsoft store games and such, im ok with lossing the rest of my stuff

5 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

Migrate from to where? 

from my hardrive to my new nvme

Just now, jc0606 said:

from my hardrive to my new nvme

then only cloning will help. Just copying over will not do... 

Or do a fresh install and lose your stuff. 

You could do a fresh install, install steam and other launchers like blizzard/epic etc, point their install folders to the old harddrive, after a few minutes your libraries will be back "online" without downloading everything. The launchers just do a danity check for completion of the installs... 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

5 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

Steam yes.

Microsoft store no.

not msfs, nooooo, but thanks for the help

4 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

then only cloning will help. Just copying over will not do... 

Or do a fresh install and lose your stuff. 

You could do a fresh install, install steam and other launchers like blizzard/epic etc, point their install folders to the old harddrive, after a few minutes your libraries will be back "online" without downloading everything. The launchers just do a danity check for completion of the installs... 

how would i point them back? is there a steam option?

1 minute ago, jc0606 said:

is there a steam option?

Yes, You add your old drive as a steam library

Steam > Settings > Downloads > Steam library > Add > point to your steam installation folder on your old drive

1 minute ago, C2dan88 said:

Yes, You add your old drive as a steam library

Steam > Settings > Downloads > Steam library > Add > point to your steam installation folder on your old drive

thank you guys i will do that now, super helpful lads