My Graphics Card

Go to solution Solved by Poinkachu,
12 minutes ago, WeTuLo707 said:

I didn't go with the 12700k because I have no need to overclock it and don't want to wrack up a giant electricity bill on something that I am not going to use.

My reason for asking about the in the first place is because I am unknowledgeable in all the many pieces and brands of computer hardware out there. I am trying to build a good PC, not an overpriced, mod-ninja, piece of crap. If I can save some money somewhere, I am going to do it.

Also, I didn't ask in the section on the PSU because that section was related to PSUs, not GPUs. I figured that I would get the quickest response here. I hope that this clarifies things a bit.

It's fine, just letting you know next time for questions like this (Since yours are new build) you can post it in "New Builds & Planning" subforum and ask all questions at once.

I can't say your GPU choice is a top thing,

All I can say for now is this :

If its compared to the other brand (nvidia) for their product at the same price range.
And you don't give a crap about gaming with raytracing (which IMHO, it sucks regardless if your spec is too low anyway)
And play with 1080p monitor.
It's good enough.

The equivalent of a tier probably 3060ti, which probably costs you $100 more

But don't take just my word for it, that's why reviews are there.

The issues they are saying mostly about raytracing performance, and price to performance thing (high MSRP for a 1080p gaming did make AMD look like they want to suck money out of people's wallet, especially so when GPU was seriously scarce).
Keep in mind those videos were made when they were just released. And we were still deep inside GPUpocalypse.

And since you kinda prefer a lower wattage, 6600xt is lower wattage than 3060

Hi all, I have heard several people say that I chose a lousy graphics card for my build. I wanted to see if that opinion was valid. Let me give you a rundown of what I will be using the PC for. I am going to be an aerospace engineer and will be certainly using CAD, virtualization, and programming, as of now that will be limited to Java and VB. I also like to play PC games, particularly FPS and RTS games, including SWBF2 (2017), AOE2+, and CIV 4+. I live in the US and want to keep my total build, which will also include a new monitor and PSU, under $1500. I already purchased the GPU, but have not installed it in my build. What do you all think?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mpqnpH

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($334.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660 GAMING X AX DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Silicon Power 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($49.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB GAMING X Video Card  ($454.99 @ GameStop)
Case: MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1209.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-24 19:54 EDT-0400

Hi all, I have heard several people say that I chose a lousy graphics card for my build. I wanted to see if that opinion was valid. Let me give you a rundown of what I will be using the PC for. I am going to be an aerospace engineer and will be certainly using CAD, virtualization, and programming, as of now that will be limited to Java and VB. I also like to play PC games, particularly FPS and RTS games, including SWBF2 (2017), AOE2+, and CIV 4+. I live in the US and want to keep my total build, which will also include a new monitor and PSU, under $1500. I already purchased the GPU, but have not installed it in my build. What do you all think?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mpqnpH

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($334.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660 GAMING X AX DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Silicon Power 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($49.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB GAMING X Video Card  ($454.99 @ GameStop)
Case: MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1209.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-24 19:54 EDT-0400

Dude, you could just ask about this along in your other thread about PSU.

I am not familiar with the productivity apps, you're the one that knows them better.

For games
It depends on what kinda setting you want to play your games at

Also :
If someone tell you that you chose a lousy card because it's a known brand and/or model that is well known to have issues, then you switch it.
If it's about performance compared to higher tier, meh, you can disregard it. If you are content with it, or if your budget only allow you that much, or both. I don't see why not.
It is you the one paying for it afterall.

If you upgrade your GPU, depending on what you choose, you might have to up the PSU as well.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

For that price, yes. Go for a 3060 or something, make sure it has 12gb of ram though, they are about the same price.  Also, why not go for the 12700k? 

7 minutes ago, Cool Dude 101 said:

For that price, yes. Go for a 3060 or something, make sure it has 12gb of ram though, they are about the same price.  Also, why not go for the 12700k? 

Probably because he's trying to keep the budget under $1500.
And based on the list & his previous thread bout PSU, he hasn't got a cooler and a PSU.

Although performance wise, IIRC, 6600 xt is well above 3060.

And, pretty sure all 3060 are 12gb ram. Unless there's a fake product out there. xD

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I didn't go with the 12700k because I have no need to overclock it and don't want to wrack up a giant electricity bill on something that I am not going to use.

My reason for asking about the in the first place is because I am unknowledgeable in all the many pieces and brands of computer hardware out there. I am trying to build a good PC, not an overpriced, mod-ninja, piece of crap. If I can save some money somewhere, I am going to do it.

Also, I didn't ask in the section on the PSU because that section was related to PSUs, not GPUs. I figured that I would get the quickest response here. I hope that this clarifies things a bit.

It's fine, just letting you know next time for questions like this (Since yours are new build) you can post it in "New Builds & Planning" subforum and ask all questions at once.

I can't say your GPU choice is a top thing,

All I can say for now is this :

If its compared to the other brand (nvidia) for their product at the same price range.
And you don't give a crap about gaming with raytracing (which IMHO, it sucks regardless if your spec is too low anyway)
And play with 1080p monitor.
It's good enough.

The equivalent of a tier probably 3060ti, which probably costs you $100 more

But don't take just my word for it, that's why reviews are there.

The issues they are saying mostly about raytracing performance, and price to performance thing (high MSRP for a 1080p gaming did make AMD look like they want to suck money out of people's wallet, especially so when GPU was seriously scarce).
Keep in mind those videos were made when they were just released. And we were still deep inside GPUpocalypse.

And since you kinda prefer a lower wattage, 6600xt is lower wattage than 3060

Refresh before you reply