Hard drive dead?

Need_Not

My dad said he was doing office work turned off his pc eat dinner came back and now it doesn't detect an OS.

unplugged everything but power and display and still nothing. I opened the case unplugged and plugged in the cables on both ends for both HDDs and still no luck.

when i first hit the power i hear a very short sound from a drive if i unplug one of the drives it stops meaning the other drive isn't spinning.

i was going to put the "dead" drive in my external dock but im having trouble finding how to get it out and also the 2 drives have different cables.

one is a sata crimpling and a serial sata? the other cables just say sata and the inside pins loom different so idk if i can use the drive in my dock

Just some random guy who has a gaming computer to play on his Minecraft server

1 minute ago, Need_Not said:

i was going to put the "dead" drive in my external dock but im having trouble finding how to get it out and also the 2 drives have different cables.

one is a sata crimpling and a serial sata? the other cables just say sata and the inside pins loom different so idk if i can use the drive in my dock

Can you send photos? Don't exactly know what you're referring to 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

yeah im trying to find the model first

15 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

it appears to be a Thermaltake Element Q VL52021N2U 

20220325_231946.jpg

20220325_232032.jpg

20220325_232026.jpg

20220325_232000.jpg

20220325_232009.jpg

Yeah, it's a standard SATA connection. The enclosure doesn't look standard, but the connector itself is standard and should work in your system. 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yeah, it's a standard SATA connection. The enclosure doesn't look standard, but the connector itself is standard and should work in your system. 

but what's up with the 2 types of plugs also i am so confused i looked again and it's a case not a full pc so idk what model the computer is. also how do i get the bottom drive out

1 minute ago, Need_Not said:

but what's up with the 2 types of plugs also i am so confused i looked again and it's a case not a full pc so idk what model the computer is. also how do i get the bottom drive out

One is SATA power and the other is SATA data. 

As for getting the drive out I'd probably start removing screws till it comes out. Never worked with that case so can't really comment on how you'd do it.

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

As for getting the drive out I'd probably start removing screws till it comes out. Never worked with that case so can't really comment on how you'd do it.

no but the 2 drives have 2 slightly different sata cables one has more pins it looks like

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

ok i took the blueray out and i realized that wasn't an hdd. it's an ssd 💀i assume it's dead. is there any way to revive it or copy it

3 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

i assume it's dead. is there any way to revive it or copy it

Not without going to a data recovery center, and even then it's possible there isn't anything you can do.

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

Not without going to a data recovery center, and even then it's possible there isn't anything you can do.

i just looked it up it says when tbw is reached it becomes read only? so i should be fine to load it in my desktop right? or could i future damage any potential hope

Just now, Need_Not said:

i just looked it up it says when tbw is reached it becomes read only? so i should be fine to load it in my desktop right? or could i future damage any potential hope

If it did become read only, nothing will be damaged if you load it up on your desktop. If it didn't become read only, then stuff can be damaged. If it's only for a couple minutes though while you try to look at the drive and see if you can see anything, it should be fine.