Bios Resetting Itself

Go to solution Solved by TheDarkestSmurf,

Hey there,

the memory controllers on Ryzen chips support D.O.C.P. (AMD's version of XMP) on only two channels, and that's why AMD motherboards sport only dual-channel memory architecture. This results in the behaviour you experience. The board and Ryzen memory controller simply can't run four sticks of RAM at full throttle, so the board will reset to stock speeds, and there is nothing you can do about that.

If you want to run four sticks of RAM, you will need to resign yourself to running your RAM at lower speeds. With D.O.C.P. enabled try setting your memory speed lower than 3.600 Mhz step-by-step to see at what speed the system won't reset to stock.

Should you be absolutely be hell-bent on running your current amount of system memory at full speed, the only recourse you do have is to buy a two-stick kit that covers the combined memory size of your four sticks and run those two sticks in dual channel.

Have a good day.

I have been having this issue for a couple months now on every boot ever since I got my 2nd kit of ram (I did a reorder, both kits are exactly the same) and I have tried a couple of different solutions with no luck. I have tried changing the cmos battery 3 times now, which does work for a couple weeks, but I get the same problem. I have also attempted manually setting timings and voltages (although I'm noob at that so it is possible I could have done it wrong), enabling High Frequency Support, and swapping around the sticks in the slots. No overclocking has been done on my system yet, besides XMP. I currently am only using 2 sticks with XMP enabled since I know the problem is having the 4 sticks installed with XMP enabled. I can have 4 sticks installed running at stock speeds but I don't want that (Duh.) It may also be worth noting that on the ram sticks themselves say specifically that they are INTEL XMP 2.0 ready, not sure if that has much meaning. Anything else I can attempt or should be aware of? I don't have extra kits to test.

Specs:

MOBO - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite

CPU - Ryzen 7 3800X

Boot Drive - WD Black SN850 1TB 

RAM - 4 x G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16

GPU - Gigabyte 3060 Ti Gaming OC Pro 2.0

PSU - Rosewill 700W Gold

Hey there,

the memory controllers on Ryzen chips support D.O.C.P. (AMD's version of XMP) on only two channels, and that's why AMD motherboards sport only dual-channel memory architecture. This results in the behaviour you experience. The board and Ryzen memory controller simply can't run four sticks of RAM at full throttle, so the board will reset to stock speeds, and there is nothing you can do about that.

If you want to run four sticks of RAM, you will need to resign yourself to running your RAM at lower speeds. With D.O.C.P. enabled try setting your memory speed lower than 3.600 Mhz step-by-step to see at what speed the system won't reset to stock.

Should you be absolutely be hell-bent on running your current amount of system memory at full speed, the only recourse you do have is to buy a two-stick kit that covers the combined memory size of your four sticks and run those two sticks in dual channel.

Have a good day.

2 minutes ago, TheDarkestSmurf said:

Hey there,

Have a good day.

I'll be fine with 2 sticks, thanks a lot for the explanation!