Storage Device with 2 PC

Lecom1020
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

If you've got a free USB 3 port, use a USB 3 NIC.

Maybe someone can help me i have the problem that i need to transfer downloads(games movies etc.)  from 1 pc to my 2. pc  without unplugging a external hard drive everytime  i have 2 networks in my home a slow network with unlimited data 20mbit and a fast one (vodafone gigacube LTE ) with limited data. my plan was to use a low power pc  i have an old zotac zbox mini pc for downloads on my normal dsl and transfer the downloads to my main pc thats connected to the gigacube any ideas how to do it other than external hard drive ( the mini pc is going in an other room thats why i dont want to unplug a hard drive everytime)

7 hours ago, Lecom1020 said:

Maybe someone can help me i have the problem that i need to transfer downloads(games movies etc.)  from 1 pc to my 2. pc  without unplugging a external hard drive everytime  i have 2 networks in my home a slow network with unlimited data 20mbit and a fast one (vodafone gigacube LTE ) with limited data. my plan was to use a low power pc  i have an old zotac zbox mini pc for downloads on my normal dsl and transfer the downloads to my main pc thats connected to the gigacube any ideas how to do it other than external hard drive ( the mini pc is going in an other room thats why i dont want to unplug a hard drive everytime)

Set up a network drive on the two machines and just copy back and forth.

https://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-a-Network-Drive

9 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Set up a network drive on the two machines and just copy back and forth.

https://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-a-Network-Drive

the 2 pcs are not connected to the same network and downloading the stuff from pc1 to pc2 would use my data volume if i understand it correct 

pc1 ( slow pc ) is connected to home dsl 20mbit   ( this is used to download games movies ... )

pc2 (fast pc ) is connected to LTE router               (this is where i want the files after i downloaded them through pc 1 )

If both PCs are near each other and have a free Ethernet port (or at least a free PCIe slots to add another NIC), you could connect them directly to each other with a cable.

That won't automatically route Internet traffic between them, but they'll be able to see file shares.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

If both PCs are near each other and have a free Ethernet port (or at least a free PCIe slots to add another NIC), you could connect them directly to each other with a cable.

That won't automatically route Internet traffic between them, but they'll be able to see file shares.

the main pc would be no problem i could add expansion but the other pc is a zotac zbox with only 1 ethernet port thats used by the dsl already 

1 minute ago, Lecom1020 said:

the main pc would be no problem i could add expansion but the other pc is a zotac zbox with only 1 ethernet port thats used by the dsl already 

Does it have wifi? 

Just now, Blue4130 said:

Does it have wifi? 

no it doesnt have wifi  its the zbox id 18 

10 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

forgott all about nic thank you all for the tips will be buying a nic and a pcie card for my main

23 minutes ago, Lecom1020 said:

forgott all about nic thank you all for the tips will be buying a nic and a pcie card for my main

There you go! Then all you have to do is connect them with a patch cable, and assign each of them an IP address that doesn't overlap with the ones they get from either your DSL modem or your LTE network. (They'll automatically assign themselves addresses in the 169.254.x.x block, but if you set static addresses you know they won't change.)

Something like this would work:

PC 1: 10.10.10.2

PC 2: 10.10.10.3

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Don't worry about the default gateway or DNS addresses.

After that, both PCs should be able to ping each other at the addresses you set. Then just create a shared folder on each one and you're all set!